illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Iv asked several different questions about cooling my cpu but never got a really concrete answer about this. What is the danger temp for idle and load for a Q9300 in other words is there a temp that if i hit i should start being concerned about ware and tear.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
On intel's site they show that the TcaseMAX temp is 71.4C
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33922&processor=Q9300&spec-codes=SLAWE

This will be slightly below the amount that the MAX core temp would be(I'm not completely sure how much lower, Tcase<Tjunction(Where the cores are located), but I would guess around 5-7C), so the max temp would be ~78C(with my guess ;) ). If you want to be safe you could keep the cores under the TcaseMax temp and it will be fine.

If anyone knows a good temp to keep it under, maybe you could jump in?

tonkatuffmofo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Personally I wouldnt want my 45nm chip to be running over 60-62 degrees under prime95 after 10mins.

Idle temps between 25 and 35 are fine and depend on your cooler.

As Haserath stated the redline for your chip is 70 degrees.

Saying this if your running at stock clocks the wolfdales shouldnt go over 60 regardless. If this is the case you need to look at loss of efficiency, cooler blockage, room ambient temp yada yada.

Prime is a great test, you will never generate the sort of heat in day to day applications as you will running this program, so if your testing and hitting low 60's, this is your worst case temp your system will hit no matter what you do with it.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
100c is the shutdown temp of intel cpu.Techinacally it will run fine upto 100c.but u should try keeping it under 80c.
Yes, technically it will run up to 100C, and my i7 did that for a few seconds under prime 95. The processor is not meant to be over it's temperature limit for extended periods of time.

100c is the shutdown temp of intel cpu.Techinacally it will run fine upto 100c.but u should try keeping it under 80c.

+1

Yeah. Cpu's can handle a lot more heat than we really credit them for. ;)

I have a P4 (90nm) that will sometime hit 80c if the HSF hasn't been cleaned in a little while but it doesn't complain about it. so the only way i know it's running hot is if i look at a temp program like speedfan (core temps and other programs like it dont work on my p4).

Most cpu's go up to 100c. Others i've seen as low as 80/85c. Although cool hardware will last longer than hot hardware. :p

TRENDING THREADS