Specs:

6gb G.Skill 1600mhz DDR3

i7 920 (not overclocked)

Gigabyte GA-X58A UD3R mobo

WD Caviar Black 750gb HD

GTS 250 1gb

corsair 650watt

Zerotherm Core92 cpu cooler.

I just built this compputer for my sister last week and when I gave it to her, the cpu was idling at 38-41c... She doesnt game much (hasnt played any yet) and called me tonight saying that it's randomly shutting down.... It's only done it a few times but she said the screen just randomly goes black and restarts....

Could this be a problem with windows update? Shes running windows 7.

Thanks

June 15, 2010 5:22:46 AM

Rarely is it a windows update issue. I would try using a restore point to as far back as you deem necessary, though. Maybe also try scanning with AVG for viruses? its always a possibility. if these don't work, then i'd say its a conflicting hardware issue. Perhaps the RAM isn't running at the right speed corresponding to the motherboard speed. If this doesn't work, i'd also try disabling the video card and using onboard video, or try a different video card. flaky video cards/drivers can very well be the cause of this kind of problem.

hope i've helped!
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2010 4:02:21 AM

If I restore, will I lose my music/movies that Ive downloaded?
m
l
June 19, 2010 4:36:00 AM

Also, I just noticed a mistake that I made... Im so used to buying 1600mhz ram that I dont even think about it now... This computer is my sisters that I built for her... Im running a gigabyte x58A-UD3R mobo and its not meant to run 1600mhz ram..... which is what I have in it....

Could this be whats making it randomly shut down every once in a while and if so, what can I do to make the ram run at 1333?
m
l
!