Resetted computer while transferring files to drive

Mifffo

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Hello, i accidentally resetted my computer a while back when i was transferring files to an external 1TB samsung spinpoint disc, its not a very old disc. however after that it started acting strange. while copying data from it, the speed would be as low as 200 kb/s which normally is 10 mb/s. And it got worse, after a while it would cause the computer boot up to halt at disc checking so i unplugged it. and set it up on the external sata instead. which also halts on the boot up screen but if i leave it unplugged and only connect it while in windows and then doing a scan for hardware changes the drive shows up and i was able to get a few files copied out of there however not alot per try before the disk just dissapears requiring to be unplugged replugged then doing another scan for hardware changes.

But it got progressively worse and now i cant even format the drive. i have tried hirens boot cd and as of yet all the tools i have tried all fail at doing anything with the disc, most just hang or result in a computer reset.

i was hoping that if i could get it formatted that it would start to work again and i could use a program to get all the data out.

anyone has any ideas?

Mifffo

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
is it even possible for a hard drive which has no mechanical or electronic failures to become completely unusable and unsaveable due to a corrupted file system and master boot records and such?

The drive may have already been failing and resetting the computer put it over the edge. It may also be coincidental. When the drive is operational, are you able to get the SMART stats off of it?

Download seatools and see if you can run a disk check against it. If it's under warranty, you might be able to get it replaced.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Mifffo

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
tried the seatools, and the smart. smart just said "error" when i tried to run it on the disk. it may have just dropped out of the system before smart got to test it. and seatools doesnt find the disk.

since that is what happens. as soon as anything tries to access the disk it dissapears. but perhaps you are right that it was a slow failure that creeped up on me, i had noticed in the prior 2 months that the disk was very slow sometimes even playing HD video from it was impossible.

TRENDING THREADS