Grade 8 Graduation Gift Build

Heir

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Hey, I'm Grade 8 and Graduation is just around the corner and I hope to get a computer somewhere around this month. My budget would probably be 800-1400. I'm a gamer but I'd also use my computer for watching the movies, Surfing the internet and listening to Music. I'm from Canada so my currency is CAD

The parts I have in mind is:
AMD Phenom x4 965 BE and ASUS M4A79T Mobo
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5296207&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

4 GB RAM

Preferably a 750-800 PSU with at least 80% efficiency

ATI Radeon 5870

1 TB Hard Drive SATA

Windows 7 Home Edition

For a monitor would prefer 1920x 1200 so either Asus VH236H or Samsung P2370

I need advice on a case. Preferably with big fans, good airflow, ATX and enough space. Maybe a Thermal Take V.

Yes I plan to overclock and Maybe i might use Crossfire

Is this a good build? Advice and opinions please. Thank you.

tecmo34

Administrator
First... I would recommend the Cooler Master HAF 922 for your case.

Second... I would go with the AMD Phenom X4 955 over the X4 965. The X4 965 is basically an overclocked X4 955 at a higher price.

Third... I would go with Corsair, Antec or Seasonic for your power supply manufacturer.

Fourth... Don't buy into the SATA 6.0Gb/s hard drives. They still don't have enough throughput to push the throughput of a SATA II currently. I would recommend going with either the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB or Seagate 7200.12 1TB drives. They are pretty much the fastest SATA II drives outside of Velicoraptors.

Overall, a good build for an 8th grader... I don't want to have my daughter see this thread though. She'll expect something for her Kindergarden Graduation :D