Sign in with
Your question

Xfx hd 4890

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 8, 2010 10:02:10 PM

Hello,
i was wandering if its posible to overclock my xfx 4890. i see people with 900/4000....jeez i cant even get it past 855/100 without it freezing the pc and i just replace myati hd 4870 and this 4890 with a gig of mam seems slower i am clueless. 4870 only has 512 wats up with that???

my specs......vista 32
cre 2 duo e4400 2.0
3 gigs ram
650 bfg psu
ati xfx hd 4890 1gig
please someone help m,e if u can...please!!!!!!

More about : xfx 4890

May 8, 2010 11:07:41 PM

hi first thanx for the response...i run the fan at 65 all times and idle at 56 full load at 67 on cod4 and unreal 3 black ed..yes i use ccc ...i dont understand the reference thing...its the new one with the fan in the muddle not like my 4870 full housing...i oced my 4879 to 790/1100 and i am getting the same performance with my oced 4890 at 855/995...just confused i thouht 1 gig was like able to give alot more frames...i dont realy have any probs running all games i would just like to see a couple more frames...o and i allwasy clean my pc obsessed with cleaning it never dusty ...noor the 4890 is never dirty 2
i run all games at 1440/900 only have a 17" lcd u see its a small res. how come i cant pump my 4890 to like 900/300 like i see online????

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168... my card... lol how do i volt mod and what is it????sorry noob herelolool
m
l
May 9, 2010 3:17:59 AM

As was said in your other thread it is your CPU that is the problem. You will see no difference with an OC on the HD4890 or indeed even between that card and the HD4870 when using a 2.0 ghz c2d, especially at such a low resolution.
If you bought the HD4890 in hopes of improving performance I suggest you return it while you still can. The HD4870 is a rather large amount of overkill for that resolution already and the problem was your CPU, not the card. Going from an HD4870 to an HD4890 at that resolution is a waste of money with any CPU really.
m
l
Related resources
May 9, 2010 11:35:19 AM

thanx guys i i will try to upgrade my cpu to the E6700 its 2.66 gzh will this make a difference...its the most my mobo can handle ....my mobo is asus P5LP-LE..
m
l
May 9, 2010 11:44:09 AM

wow to oc my 4400 2.0 is gonna take some time lol.....lots to read lol
m
l
May 9, 2010 12:00:22 PM

Before reading all of that you should make sure your motherboard CAN actually overclock anything. Looking it up that thing is a custom ASUS board for HP machines it very well may lack any ability to overclock at all.
If it cannot OC then your best bet is to do what I said earlier; if you still have the HD4870 then return that HD4890 while you can, or if that isn't possible then sell it. Basically you upgraded the wrong thing. Your HD4870 was not the problem at all and your new card was a pointless upgrade at your 1440x900 resolution(no matter what processor is in your machine.) You should return it/sell it and use the money to get a new motherboard + CPU. You can get an Athlon II x4 and a pretty good motherboard to go with it for about $160 which I'm sure is less then you spent on the HD4890. Paired with HD4870 it will give you very good performance at your resolution.
m
l
May 9, 2010 12:18:21 PM

o and why athlon i thought intel was the best.....o and i got the 4890 of craigslist for $135....new ...so i could sell it for like waht maybee 150???
m
l
May 9, 2010 12:18:38 PM

thanx man \. what about all the pc parts will they just go with the athlon mobo my hdd and sound card and stuff i will have to do alot of driver updates rite?
m
l
May 9, 2010 12:54:53 PM

Intel does make the best processors on the high end at the moment but we are talking a minimum of $300 or so for an i5+motherboard plus you would need to buy new ram because they i5/i7 systems use DDR3.
On the low and midrange AMD's and Intel's processors are basically equal(Athlon/Phenom II vs Core2duos) but the AMD processors are a good amount cheaper and the motherboards tend to be slightly cheaper as well so they will give you the best for your money. Like I said an Athlon II x4 + a decent motherboard would be $160 or so. If you want a quad core Intel chip instead it will cost you that much for just the processor.
As for driver updates replacing your motherboard, whether for an Intel or AMD system, will require a fresh install of windows. All the other components you have now will definitely work however.
m
l
May 9, 2010 12:57:09 PM

wow fresh install of window that meen i need to buy vista seprate....?
m
l
May 9, 2010 1:00:29 PM

u sed 160 for the board and processor but wat if i just get the e6700 at 2.66ghz would this make a difference in speed?
the e6700 is the same price as the mobo and processor your saying to buy
m
l
May 9, 2010 1:01:19 PM

cthulhu2984 said:
wow fresh install of window that meen i need to buy vista seprate....?

Do you not have a Windows disc already? I didn't mean you have to buy it again, just reinstall it.
m
l
May 9, 2010 1:05:49 PM

cthulhu2984 said:
u sed 160 for the board and processor but wat if i just get the e6700 at 2.66ghz would this make a difference in speed?
the e6700 is the same price as the mobo and processor your saying to buy

The e6700 has half the cores and is clocked slower than the processor I am suggesting. Plus your new motherboard would definitely be able to overclock. I believe those chips go to 3.2-3.3 ghz rather easily. At stock it is 2.9 ghz anyway so you wont really need to OC if you don't want to(no reason not to though.)
m
l
May 9, 2010 1:23:21 PM

wow cool i dont need to buy new vista yes i have the cd for recovery but no vista on cd...my drive is partition with the recovery on it. is this good enough or do i need a special dvd with vista on it?......dude thanx for the help your giving me!!!
m
l
May 9, 2010 1:31:25 PM

Hmm, I'm not sure to be honest. It is an HP computer I take it? It may work fine or that disc may specifically be tailored to your current motherboard. Perhaps someone else with experience with HP computers/windows discs can answer that.
m
l
May 9, 2010 1:51:40 PM

DAMMMMMMMMWELL IF I GET VISTA cd would this work? or maybee xp???
m
l
May 9, 2010 2:02:46 PM

Yeah, any Windows will do. Your recovery CD may actually be a Windows CD, HP just doesn't call it that. I honestly don't know, the big computer makers always pull crap like that, making things needlessly confusing. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a windows CD though, just also full of pointless HP software it also puts on your computer. The last time I dealt with one was a long while back but I seem to recall that being the case.
m
l
May 9, 2010 9:42:54 PM

when i get thease parts can u help me if i have any probs?
m
l
May 9, 2010 11:03:59 PM

u dont think that all i need is the partioned section of my hdd it has the restore thing on it ????
m
l
May 10, 2010 1:13:32 AM

Yeah, I can help you. Don't worry too much about the actual installation, it's easier than you would think. As for the weird HP windows stuff I really am not knowledgeable about what exactly can be done with that. Might not be a bad idea to post the question on an HP dedicated forum.
m
l
May 10, 2010 1:58:08 AM

hey which 1 of the 2 deals would be the better one and why is one 5 bux more?
m
l
May 10, 2010 2:32:23 AM

can i use my pc2 5300 mem on the mobo that sez ddr2?
m
l
May 10, 2010 2:49:24 AM

Looking at them again you want the Gigabyte board. I didn't notice when linking them before that the Asus one uses DDR3 ram so you would need to replace what you have now for that one.
Also I notice that one of the reviews for the Gigabyte board says that it has the ability to unlock cores in the BIOS. If you want to you can use that to possibly save some money. AMD sells x3 processors but they aren't actually 3 core processors. They are exactly the same as the x4 chips but they have one core purposely disabled. SOME of the chips have a core disabled because of a manufacturing defect but on most of them the fourth core is actually fully functional. It is certainly a gamble but it's a good one imo. Here's the same board with a x3 of the same speed;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
If the fourth core is unlockable then you just saved $30. If not honestly it isn't a big deal. A x3 at 2.9 ghz is still very good for gaming. Some of them are even actually a Phenom II chip with the L3 cache disabled and you can try to enable that also if so but that is more rare.
m
l
May 10, 2010 2:53:29 AM

cthulhu2984 said:
can i use my pc2 5300 mem on the mobo that sez ddr2?

PC2 5300 is 667 mhz. That is one of the memory standards listed for the Gigabyte board so it should have no problems.
m
l
May 10, 2010 2:55:15 AM

wow dude your super cool lol thanx probebly will get this combo nut tell u the truth lol i am super noob when it comes to unlocking cores how hard is this?????any way i know u told me this before allready but please ecplain again i am currently playing cod4 i max it out and still 4870 seems to give me better frames....the 4870 was at 790/1100 but the 4890 is now at 855/995 ????this meens the 4870 is better? it is a visiontek i got it 2 years ago for 350 bux what the hell its a 2 year old card and seems tio get better frames.....but the 4890 is faster no???
m
l
May 10, 2010 3:00:27 AM

Oh yeah, there is one thing that may differ between your current board and the new one. Most newer boards, including that one, only have one port for an IDE cable because that standard is being replaced by SATA. This means you can only use 2 IDE devices(usually hard drives and cd/dvd drives.) If you have 3 you will need an adapter for about $10.
m
l
May 10, 2010 3:12:28 AM

cthulhu2984 said:
wow dude your super cool lol thanx probebly will get this combo nut tell u the truth lol i am super noob when it comes to unlocking cores how hard is this?????any way i know u told me this before allready but please ecplain again i am currently playing cod4 i max it out and still 4870 seems to give me better frames....the 4870 was at 790/1100 but the 4890 is now at 855/995 ????this meens the 4870 is better? it is a visiontek i got it 2 years ago for 350 bux what the hell its a 2 year old card and seems tio get better frames.....but the 4890 is faster no???

Unlocking the core would be very simple. It will just involve telling the computer to do so through a setting in the bios. Then you'll restart the computer. If the disabled core is defective it might not start up or the system wont be stable(will crash a lot.) If it doesn't start up the board will likely go back to 3 cores on its own after it fails a few times(at worst you'll need to reset the bios which isn't hard to do.) If it is unstable you can just go back in the bios and turn off the 4th core.
As for the HD4870 vs the HD4890 they should really be giving you the same frame rates. Both are definitely limited by your CPU in that game. I'm not sure why the HD4890 would be giving you less but honestly it doesn't really matter. In that game with a proper processor at that resolution the difference between those two cards would be something like 150 frames per second versus 180 frames per second which is meaningless. The refresh rate of your monitor is likely 60 hz which means it can only actually display 60 frames per second.
m
l
May 10, 2010 3:23:45 AM

dont i just need to shut off wait for vsync?
m
l
May 10, 2010 3:39:58 AM

No, 60 hz means the screen only shows 60 frames per second. If you are consistently getting frame rates above your refresh rate then it is best to turn on vsync because then the game will match itself to what your monitor can actually display which will give the smoothest gaming experience.
m
l
May 10, 2010 4:31:12 AM

hey about the refreshrate thing is this why i sometimes get low frames in games like insurgancy and hl2dm its crazy i cl_showfps 1 and my frames are like jumpin from 150 to 40 back and fourth constantly same for left 4 dead 2.... io meen thease are simple games 4870 and 4890 should handle them well...
m
l
May 10, 2010 4:47:18 AM

Once again it is your cpu that is the issue, not the cards. That is likely caused by there being parts of the game your CPU can actually handle at those points you will see what frame rates you should be getting for that card. But when things start to happen in the game your CPU can't keep up and the frame rate plummets.
m
l
May 10, 2010 5:22:42 AM

k man i need to dould cheack everything cause i will trust what u say and get the triple core deal for 130 or so
1 just turn off pc and install mobo plus proce, connest all cables and boom what happenes? i cant just do that why i need install windows? .....sory again dude litle bit nooby here...but i am thankful for your help!!!!
m
l
May 10, 2010 5:44:53 AM

do u think its beter to sell the 4870 or the 4890????? my 4870 it a visiontek
m
l
May 10, 2010 5:48:24 AM

and they both have the same lowest price.
m
l
May 10, 2010 10:32:42 AM

Yeah, you'll just unplug the computer and remove everything from the old board. Basically all the cables, the ram and the video card. Other cards if you have any. Leave the processor/fan as you are replacing it. Then you unscrew it from the case and remove it entirely. Then you'll want to install the new processor and fan/heatsink on the new board. Quite easy really. Putting the fan on used to be rather annoying but they've made it simple these day. Then you screw the new motherboard into the case. Then reconnect all the cables. The hardest part of this whole thing will likely be reconnecting the case's power/reset button and lights to the motherboard as the process involves tiny wires being plugged into little pins. The motherboards manual should make it clear where they are supposed to go but it can be annoying. Put the ram, video card and any other cards back in their sockets and you are done.
In general you want to reinstall windows because it has a ton of drivers intended specifically for your old motherboard. While it is best just to do a fresh installation this;
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1755
Claims that repairing the installation will in fact make windows ok with a new motherboard. It is a bit outdated though and is talking about XP. This describes how to do it without repairing and is how I've seen the process talked about in the past;
http://searchwarp.com/swa548177-How-To-Replace-Your-Mot...
I'd probably do it that way myself because you wont be relying on the HP pseudo-windows for anything. Don't uninstall the ATI drivers though as they will be the same.
As for selling the HD4870 vs the HD4890, yeah, I'd say just keep the HD4870. At your resolution both cards are a rather large amount of overkill. They are both good cards for much higher resolutions than yours(1920x1080.) Considering you will get more for selling the HD4890 the only reason to keep it is if you plan on upgrading the monitor in the not too distant future and even then the HD4870 would still do quite well.
As for which deal to order I'd probably go for the x3 myself as well. From what I've read the 4th core is more likely to work than not and then you get the satisfaction of getting a x4 for much less. Even if the core is defective and can't be used it's questionable whether the x4 is actually worth $30 more anyway. BTW reading some more about that processor it supposedly overclocks very well. The last review I read said they got it up to 3.7 ghz. They used a good aftermarket fan/heatsink though. On the stock one you'll probably want to aim for 3.2-3.3 ghz. Also according to their website the motherboard can even handle AMD's new 6 core chips if you ever want to upgrade to one of those.
m
l
May 10, 2010 11:58:56 AM

WOW THANX ALOT DUDE FOR THE HELP !!!!!!
m
l
May 10, 2010 12:19:43 PM

Re: a6120n recovery cdOptions
Mark as New

Bookmark

Subscribe

Subscribe to RSS Feed

Highlight

Print

Report Inappropriate Content

05-10-2010 12:54 AM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?pro......

If this is your desk top model then you are in the wrong forum, this one is for laptops.

It only shows Vista as your factory OS, so yes your recovery CD's will be Vista. The HP Vista recovery disc's will install with a new mother board. If they don't it won't be because of the new mother board. Some people here have had problems with their recovery disc's being defective or HP has sent the wrong ones.

ia guy text me this last night on a hp forum but lol i am confused...any help?
m
l
May 10, 2010 2:05:36 PM

Sound like he is saying you should be able to use the recovery CD to reinstall windows. So that's good news. You can still try the method I listed above if you prefer but a fresh install is a good idea.
m
l
May 10, 2010 3:00:57 PM

lol hust posted my 4890 on craigslist lol u want it?
m
l
May 10, 2010 3:07:34 PM

my pc dident come with a recovery cd it made me create a set of recovery cds i dident see windows in it but alot of folder called preload
m
l
May 10, 2010 6:55:37 PM

cthulhu2984 said:
lol hust posted my 4890 on craigslist lol u want it?

For free in exchange for all my wonderful advice? Sure, thanks, that's extremely generous :D 
m
l
May 10, 2010 6:56:50 PM

cthulhu2984 said:
my pc dident come with a recovery cd it made me create a set of recovery cds i dident see windows in it but alot of folder called preload

Alright, I don't know what to make of that to be honest. Just try the uninstalling drivers in safe mode thing from that link. Hopefully it will work and if not maybe those cds will or the partition will.
m
l
May 10, 2010 7:19:30 PM

than i cant get the 130 deal on newegg lol
m
l
May 11, 2010 8:09:02 PM

If you are going from an Intel to an AMD motherboard you are pretty much on your own. Are you installing a standard non-HP motherboard? Certainly the HP disks and partition will not work and you will need a clean install of the OS from a retail DVD.

With an Intel Socket 775 board you would have a lot of upgrade options that would allow you to still work with the HP software.

tehy told me this on the hp fourms lol ??????
m
l
May 12, 2010 2:52:38 AM

Hmm, are other people agreeing? Going for an Intel quadcore will be at least $200.
I do think the uninstalling all the chipset drivers method should work. Do you know anyone with a windows disc you could borrow just in case?
m
l
May 12, 2010 3:07:54 AM

jyjjy said:
Hmm, are other people agreeing? Going for an Intel quadcore will be at least $200.
I do think the uninstalling all the chipset drivers method should work. Do you know anyone with a windows disc you could borrow just in case?

naaa maybee craigslist no?????
m
l
May 12, 2010 3:08:25 AM

so i can doo all this as long as i have windows full install?
m
l
May 12, 2010 3:14:52 AM

any way lol nobody seems to want or need my xfx hd4890 for 145 bux no responds or emails lol isent this a verry good price??
m
l
May 12, 2010 6:19:07 AM

Where are you trying to sell it?
m
l
!