Sign in with
Your question

Benefits of Six Cores Over Quad

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 14, 2010 11:08:47 PM

I'm helping one of my friends get a system together which will mainly be using CS5 and its After Effects. We're aiming for around $2,500 or $3,000 if it must get that high. We've already decided to rule out the high end Xeons due to pricing and have been looking at the i7's quad and six core offerings. Obviously there is a bit of a price difference between the two and we are wondering whether it will be justified, especially considering we expect the GPU (thinking Quadro 3800 unless somebody can tell me how a less expensive GeForce card would compare) to be doing most of the heavy lifting with CUDA. So, is it worthwhile to shell out $1,000 for a 980x, or should we settle with a much cheaper 930 or 960 and just get by with some overclocking if need be? Thanks for the help.

More about : benefits cores quad

a b à CPUs
August 14, 2010 11:16:44 PM

Or you can get the 1090T??? 6 core for $300 and overall cheaper than the i7, and better for what you are using...
m
l
August 14, 2010 11:33:04 PM

I'm all for taking AMD into consideration for his computer, but I've been looking through some reviews of the 1090T and while it certainly is a beast (and at a great price), it seems to be similar to the 930 in performance. This benchmark using After Effects in CS4 shows that the 930 is faster. I'm not sure how much the results would differ in CS5 and with a GPU helping scoot things along though. If you could provide some graphs showcasing the performance of the 1090T, then there is no reason why we couldn't take a better look at it. Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2010 11:59:31 PM

While i find a few, take a look at anandtech to put to cpus head to head:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

extremely useful. Also, when considering the 1090T, there are a few more things to take into consideration. 1 is that for the price of a 930+mobo+12 gigs of ram, you can get the 1090T+mobo+16 gigs of ram, if you wanted. Another is that a new CPU for am3 is coming out towards the end of the year, "bulldozer". It will be on am3, while nothing much is coming out on 1366, so the 1090T has an upgrade path. Now, not much info is out, but i think it is HIGHLY likely that bulldozer will beat the 980x, and likely by a decent margin.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 12:22:33 AM

ares1214 said:

extremely useful. Also, when considering the 1090T, there are a few more things to take into consideration. 1 is that for the price of a 930+mobo+12 gigs of ram, you can get the 1090T+mobo+16 gigs of ram, if you wanted. Another is that a new CPU for am3 is coming out towards the end of the year, "bulldozer". It will be on am3, while nothing much is coming out on 1366, so the 1090T has an upgrade path. Now, not much info is out, but i think it is HIGHLY likely that bulldozer will beat the 980x, and likely by a decent margin.

There is no proof that Bulldozer will run on a current am3 board. All speculation.
m
l
August 15, 2010 12:27:07 AM

ares1214 said:

Those are convincing arguments. I'll have to ask my friend about how much RAM he plans to eventually have. Mind you that if we go i7 he could have up to 24GB instead of 16. If you could find some hard evidence concerning if Bulldozer will still be using the same socket, that would be greatly appreciated.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 12:33:31 AM

Even Intel's dual are beating the 1090T in the adobe benchmarks. CS4 is not very well threaded. Is scales much better with higher GHZ than more cores. Overclock the 930 and the distance between the two will increase.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
August 15, 2010 12:41:43 AM

BadTrip said:
There is no proof that Bulldozer will run on a current am3 board. All speculation.

Forgot to argue his claim that Bulldozer comes out before the end of the year :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 12:50:00 AM

AMD has pretty much confirmed it, or atleast a version will be one am3, Toms or somebody recently wrote an article about it, look it up. It is NOT speculation what so ever, AMD even has on its roadmaps it will be AM3, go argue that somewhere else. While yes you can get 24 gigs, there is barely going to be a benefit of 12 to 16 gigs, let alone 24 gigs. I doubt anything will use above 16 gigs effectively. Nice argument "Just overclock the i7" Yeah well just overclock the 1090T, doesnt really count. CS4 is the only real video editing thing the 1090T loses in, CS5 might fix it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 10:29:29 AM

ares1214 said:
AMD has pretty much confirmed it, or atleast a version will be one am3, Toms or somebody recently wrote an article about it, look it up. It is NOT speculation what so ever, AMD even has on its roadmaps it will be AM3, go argue that somewhere else. While yes you can get 24 gigs, there is barely going to be a benefit of 12 to 16 gigs, let alone 24 gigs. I doubt anything will use above 16 gigs effectively. Nice argument "Just overclock the i7" Yeah well just overclock the 1090T, doesnt really count. CS4 is the only real video editing thing the 1090T loses in, CS5 might fix it.

Link?

I am not the one stating it. It is your job to provide evidence for your case, Not mine.

As for the ram, apparently you have neve heard of ramdisks with photoshop.

http://www.nerdblog.com/2009/05/ramdisk-for-photoshop-o...
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 10:31:13 AM

loneninja said:
Forgot to argue his claim that Bulldozer comes out before the end of the year :lol: 

I think everyone knows that will NOT happen. :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 11:12:14 AM

The i7-970 Hexa maybe?
m
l
a c 108 à CPUs
August 15, 2010 1:27:02 PM

I don't know why some folks keep lying their ass off.

It appears AMD's intent will be to focus on 890FX/GX chipsets, and AM3rc2 (or AM3+). This does not mean that some enterprising tech staffs at mobo vendors will not qualify 880/870 chipsets or even AM3 7xx motherboards.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 2:42:14 PM

Well lets look at the choices:

980x: WAY OVERPRICED

970: NO POINT AS IS STILL OVERPRICED

930: Viable option, great CS4 performance

1090T: Lesser CS4 performance, but more cores so later on scaling will catch up. Also better overall for video editing.

Not trying to seem like a fanboy here, but 1090T> future proofness, 1090T>video editing, 1090T has a lower price, however 930 is better for gaming, and a few select applications. It also overclocks a little higher from stock.

And, ill find the proof, but last i heard, 8 core, dual channel bulldozer is going on AM3, IGP, quad/dual channel, up to 16 core is going on AM3+ later on. Considering the server end will be compatible with the old socket, even without proof for the 10 minutes it will take to find it i think you can rest easy it will be.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 3:24:38 PM

so "Intel Inside" we have given proof enough, you give us proof to the contrary?
m
l
August 15, 2010 3:38:33 PM

Target performance is different from real benchmark results. In a lot of situations target performance fall short when actual benchmark is done.

Even today software both commercial and engineering applications are way behind hardware capability. There are millions of un-use CPU cores consuming power in the PC-World.

I focus on real benchmark numbers on available CPUS. Promises remain as such until the real product comes out.

6 Core don't translate to better performance unless the application software is optimize to use the available cpu-cores.

The reason AMD's 6 core are cheap as it lags performance on even 4 Core Intel 1-7 series CPUS. In recent times AMD has not really delivered the "killer product". So until the actual product is out with actual benchmark then it can be counted on.

m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 3:57:09 PM

ares1214 said:
so "Intel Inside" we have given proof enough, you give us proof to the contrary?

You have proven to me that:

a) You can't tell the difference between "Bobcat" and "Bulldozer."

b) You have no idea how to optimize photoshop.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 4:07:40 PM

bobcat is the mobile platform of bulldozer. if they can get that out that early, you really think they cant get bulldozer our by the end of the year, maybe early next year?
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 4:08:43 PM

If you're using CUDA for your video editing you don't need a powerful CPU. If you use the CPU you don't need CUDA.

The difference between the i7 940 (no option for the 930 on the anandtech bench) and the much cheaper Phenom II X6 1055T for the X264 (the best encoding quality out there) is 2.8% for the first pass and 16% for the second one in favor of the i7.

Who cares about a few minutes per hour more or less when encoding stuff? One can let the thingy run and mind his business playing a game, watching football or posting on tomshardware.

m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 4:19:37 PM

ares1214 said:
bobcat is the mobile platform of bulldozer. if they can get that out that early, you really think they cant get bulldozer our by the end of the year, maybe early next year?

Straight from AMD. Bulldozer will be out in 2011.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/2010/08/02/what-is-bulldozer/

My vote is Q2 at earliest.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 4:21:34 PM

OK, we have turned this guy's thread into a soon-to-be flame war.

Look Spore just pick what you want and enjoy it.

I'm out.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 4:41:51 PM

Agreed, however my vote definitely goes to 1090T. Whether BD comes out this year, next year, or whatever, you can still upgrade it, where as 1156 and 1366 are more or less dead other than whats out now.
m
l
August 15, 2010 4:49:08 PM

BadTrip said:
OK, we have turned this guy's thread into a soon-to-be flame war.

Look Spore just pick what you want and enjoy it.

I'm out.

By reading your posts in this thread it's obvious you have something against AMD.... And seem to think your better than anyone who argues against you so i don't see why anyone should take you seriously.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 5:34:28 PM

yannifb said:
By reading your posts in this thread it's obvious you have something against AMD.... And seem to think your better than anyone who argues against you so i don't see why anyone should take you seriously.

+1 :kaola: 
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
August 15, 2010 5:51:55 PM

ares1214 said:

No it's not, bobcat is a 40nm Fusion processor with a completely different architecture than bulldozer. Both Llano and Bulldozer will be 32nm.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
August 15, 2010 5:55:11 PM

yannifb said:

I've got to disagree, I'll openly admit I'm an AMD fanboy, and I agree with Badtrip in this thread.

OP: I would personally go with the I7 on this one, especially if you were considering overclocking.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 6:28:26 PM

yannifb said:

I never said anything against AMD that was not based on FACTS. If you can't read the benchmarks and understand them, that is your problem not mine.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 7:30:35 PM

The ONLY benchmark you quoted was CS4. Which also just happens to be one of the ONLY video editing benchmarks the i7 wins in.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 8:09:15 PM

Which is the ONLY software the OP asked about.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 8:48:12 PM

Its totally lol, to count as a plus or even mention a cpu that does not exist yet in a post for someone looking to build a rig NOW. This upgrade path angle is cpu bench racing. If he chooses the 1366 build, he can always, at a later date,upgrade possibly to a 6 core 32nm second hand or if the prices come down drastically new. Those 6 core cpu's exist, they will fit his chosen platform and give unmatched performance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 9:40:27 PM

Lets see, more money now, abusive amount of money later, or less money now, and LIKELY less, but who knows really later.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2010 10:33:49 PM

notty22 said:
Its totally lol, to count as a plus or even mention a cpu that does not exist yet in a post for someone looking to build a rig NOW. This upgrade path angle is cpu bench racing. If he chooses the 1366 build, he can always, at a later date,upgrade possibly to a 6 core 32nm second hand or if the prices come down drastically new. Those 6 core cpu's exist, they will fit his chosen platform and give unmatched performance.

+1
m
l
!