Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Graphics card that fits and runs WOW at max settings on my computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 8, 2010 10:45:20 PM

i need help finding a decent priced graphics card that can play WOW WOTLK and in the future Catclysm at max settings. I have a HP Pavilion a6407c and it came with the worst graphics card ever and i'm not sure what card to purchase. I also have another computer that I could also use for gaming, Dell Optiplex 760. I'm not sure which would be more suited towards gaming so I would like suggestion for both computers.


System Specs for Hp Pavilion

Dell Optiplex System Specs

pic of my HP pavilion

If anyone could suggest what graphics card I should get, it'd be really helpful. thanks! :) 

a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2010 11:00:38 PM

The Dell is by far the better unit as far as the processor is concerned!!!!

Your Dell has:
Intel E8400 CPU (Great gaming CPU)

Your HP has:
AMD 4400+ CPU (aging)

From what Intel says it has a PCI-E 16x GPU slot available:
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/chipsets/q43/q43-...

What is your budget? No matter what video card you buy, the Dell system with the E8400 CPU in it is going to net you the best performance of the two systems. You could get something like the ATI 5770 for about $150 and would have fantastic WoW performance (and could play other more modern games as well). But there are less expensive options that would be fine if all you want to play is WoW.

The only problem, is your Dell specs do not list the ratings on it's power supply. You'll want to look into that before you try to purchase/install anything. We need to know the Watt output, as well as amperage capability on the 12V rails. Not to mention, we need to make sure there are enough extra power connectors inside the PC to connect power to a video card should you purchase one that requires additional power.
Related resources
May 9, 2010 1:16:40 AM

says i'd need a 450 watt power supply for a ati radeon 5750 soo i'd be spending about 230$ which i could afford. i'd probably buy the ati 5750 along with a 450 power supply unless you got anymore suggestions on a graphics card
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 9, 2010 1:27:28 AM

which Dell Optiplex case do you own? Because they where made to be business PCs and only one will take a regular size video cards (the mini-tower on the far right), the rest will only take low profile cards
http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/desktops/desktop-opt...
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2010 1:29:55 AM

szayel said:
says i'd need a 450 watt power supply for a ati radeon 5750 soo i'd be spending about 230$ which i could afford. i'd probably buy the ati 5750 along with a 450 power supply unless you got anymore suggestions on a graphics card


Is the PSU in your Dell a standard ATX size? Or is it the specialty Dell shape and size? That's the only other problem with Dell sometimes. No matter what you do, if you get a new power supply, get something that's higher than what you need. If 450W is the minimum, and you get a 450W, it will be running at 100% of it's capacity when you're gaming. This means it'll run hot, wear out faster, etc. So get like a 550W or 600W instead of the minimum 450W. This way the PSU will never truly be pushed, plus you'll have room for upgrade again later in the future.

The ATI 5750 should do perfectly fine for you with WoW along with the E8400. Just make sure you buy a decent brand of power supply. Just buying the cheapest thing is usually not a great idea.
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 9, 2010 1:32:20 AM

jerreece said:
Is the PSU in your Dell a standard ATX size? Or is it the specialty Dell shape and size? That's the only other problem with Dell sometimes. No matter what you do, if you get a new power supply, get something that's higher than what you need. If 450W is the minimum, and you get a 450W, it will be running at 100% of it's capacity when you're gaming. This means it'll run hot, wear out faster, etc. So get like a 550W or 600W instead of the minimum 450W. This way the PSU will never truly be pushed, plus you'll have room for upgrade again later in the future.

The ATI 5750 should do perfectly fine for you with WoW along with the E8400. Just make sure you buy a decent brand of power supply. Just buying the cheapest thing is usually not a great idea.


Dell PSU are either ATX form factor or made for slim line cases (TFX), they just lack an "on/off" switch on the back. They also peak further then their listed watts, a Dell 450w PSU will peak at 500w. Dell has many issues but their PSU are well made and are better then some "named" PSU. On the business PC, it most likely has a 250-300w PSU.
May 9, 2010 1:33:54 AM

this one
I have this one. if it doesnt work, is there anyway to take out the processor and put it into my HP?
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 9, 2010 1:36:43 AM

you can only run a low profile card on that Dell

you cant run an Intel CPU on a motherboard made for AMD
May 9, 2010 1:40:49 AM

so what do you suggest to do with my HP to make it into a "gaming" PC that can play WOW and other games at max settings?
EDIT: auctually is there a good low profile graphics card that can run wow at max settings?
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 9, 2010 1:44:16 AM

you have several options
1. use your Dell, toss an low profile ATI 5570 into it. With shadows off, you could get high settings on a 1440x900 monitor. Some lag spikes issues in pvp and raid, no other upgrades are needed.
2. use your HP, toss a regular ATI 5670. You can run shadows but may have a bit more lag spikes. More or less the same performance as above.
3. use your HP. Upgrade your CPU to an Athlon x2 6000 (or any x2 5000+). Upgrade your PSU to a good 400w+. Toss a ATI 4850 or GTS 250 into the case. This would let you get close to max settings.
May 9, 2010 1:52:31 AM

How about if i wanted to run WoW on high settings without lag during raids or PVP? What options would that give me?

Best solution

a c 235 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 9, 2010 2:01:09 AM
Share

szayel said:
How about if i wanted to run WoW on high settings without lag during raids or PVP? What options would that give me?

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/how_build_awe...
May 9, 2010 2:07:40 AM

Best answer selected by szayel.
May 9, 2010 2:08:01 AM

okay, thanks ct1615 and jerreece. this helped me :D 
May 9, 2010 2:14:17 AM

wait, last question. if i upgraded the size of my computer case, would i still only have the option to use low profile cards?
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 9, 2010 3:30:30 AM

you may have a BTX motherboard which would mean NO, check the Dell forum to see.

you may be able to move your Dell parts if you have an ATX form factor motherboard.
!