Device Manager, Task Manager, or any other mgmt tool not d..

No system tool is displaying (yes, I am the computer admin). Actually, I run
the program and it flashes for a second and then it goes away. This happens
with, Device manager, Task Manager, MSCONFIG, you name it. The icons in the
system tray do not appear even though they are all set to "always display".
Regedit does not even display. Which settings have I hosed?

I recently had to format my HD and reinstall my OS. Did I take the wrong CD
off the shelf? (I have three computers)
6 answers Last reply
More about device manager task manager mgmt tool

    [[When you open System Configuration Utility [MSCONFIG], Registry Editor or
    Task Manager, they flash for a second and quit. This symptom is caused by
    Viruses.]]

    Task Manager, MSCONFIG, or REGEDIT disappear while opening
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ToolsQuit.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:0064BBA9-8F56-4A27-B624-34CD0F2409AF@microsoft.com,
    Bryan <Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > No system tool is displaying (yes, I am the computer admin).
    > Actually, I run the program and it flashes for a second and then it
    > goes away. This happens with, Device manager, Task Manager,
    > MSCONFIG, you name it. The icons in the system tray do not appear
    > even though they are all set to "always display". Regedit does not
    > even display. Which settings have I hosed?
    >
    > I recently had to format my HD and reinstall my OS. Did I take the
    > wrong CD off the shelf? (I have three computers)

    Wes,

    I scanned using Norton (updated viruses) and Spy Speeper, rebooting in
    between sweeps.

    No viruses and no no adware found.

    Any other hints?

    Bryan

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > [[When you open System Configuration Utility [MSCONFIG], Registry Editor or
    > Task Manager, they flash for a second and quit. This symptom is caused by
    > Viruses.]]
    >
    > Task Manager, MSCONFIG, or REGEDIT disappear while opening
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ToolsQuit.htm
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:0064BBA9-8F56-4A27-B624-34CD0F2409AF@microsoft.com,
    > Bryan <Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > No system tool is displaying (yes, I am the computer admin).
    > > Actually, I run the program and it flashes for a second and then it
    > > goes away. This happens with, Device manager, Task Manager,
    > > MSCONFIG, you name it. The icons in the system tray do not appear
    > > even though they are all set to "always display". Regedit does not
    > > even display. Which settings have I hosed?
    > >
    > > I recently had to format my HD and reinstall my OS. Did I take the
    > > wrong CD off the shelf? (I have three computers)

    Bryan,

    With the type and severity of malware emerging these days, you need to use
    all of these three software (atleast):

    1. Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com

    2. SpyBot S&D
    http://www.safer-networking.org

    3. CWShredder

    ** Update 1 & 2 before running a scan **

    Clean-up Windows Startup
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm

    Then, run a full system virus scan: (RAV is proving good)
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/scanners.htm

    If nothing helps, download HijackThis from
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/ Generate a log using HijackThis and
    visit any of these forums below to post your HijackThis log. The experts
    there will guide you how to remove the spyware from your system:

    http://aumha.net
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Bryan" <Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Wes,
    >
    > I scanned using Norton (updated viruses) and Spy Speeper, rebooting in
    > between sweeps.
    >
    > No viruses and no no adware found.
    >
    > Any other hints?
    >
    > Bryan
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> [[When you open System Configuration Utility [MSCONFIG], Registry Editor
    >> or
    >> Task Manager, they flash for a second and quit. This symptom is caused by
    >> Viruses.]]
    >>
    >> Task Manager, MSCONFIG, or REGEDIT disappear while opening
    >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ToolsQuit.htm
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:0064BBA9-8F56-4A27-B624-34CD0F2409AF@microsoft.com,
    >> Bryan <Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> > No system tool is displaying (yes, I am the computer admin).
    >> > Actually, I run the program and it flashes for a second and then it
    >> > goes away. This happens with, Device manager, Task Manager,
    >> > MSCONFIG, you name it. The icons in the system tray do not appear
    >> > even though they are all set to "always display". Regedit does not
    >> > even display. Which settings have I hosed?
    >> >
    >> > I recently had to format my HD and reinstall my OS. Did I take the
    >> > wrong CD off the shelf? (I have three computers)

    Here is my Hijackthis log:

    Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 5:46:27 PM, on 2/20/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

    Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGNT.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WorksFUD] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\wkfud.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MoneyStartUp10.0] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    Money\System\Activation.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe"
    -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Instant Messenger] MSNGMSNGR32.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVGCtrl] C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGNT.EXE /min
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy
    Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /0
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage
    Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=36467&clcid=0x409
    O23 - Service: AntiVir Service (AntiVirService) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH -
    C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVGUARD.EXE
    O23 - Service: AntiVir Update (AVWUpSrv) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH, Germany
    - C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec
    Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation -
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec
    Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program
    Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

    I used AntiVir Guard, WebRoot Spy Sweeper and Hijack This. Rebooting after
    each sweep.

    Please tell me if you see anything out of the ordinary.

    Thank you,
    Bryan

> [...]
    >>
    >> ** Update 1 & 2 before running a scan **
    >>
    >> Clean-up Windows Startup
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm
    >>
    >> Then, run a full system virus scan: (RAV is proving good)
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/scanners.htm
    >>
    >> If nothing helps, download HijackThis from
    >> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/ Generate a log using HijackThis and
    >> visit any of these forums below to post your HijackThis log. The experts
    >> there will guide you how to remove the spyware from your system:
    >>
    >> http://aumha.net
    >> http://forums.spywareinfo.com
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Bryan" <Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Wes,
    >> >
    >> > I scanned using Norton (updated viruses) and Spy Speeper, rebooting in

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Bryan, I had the same problem just the other day. It turned out to be
    some nasty spyware masquerading as Microsoft instant messenger.

    The rogue process was MSNGMSNGR32.EXE. From the looks of your Hijack
    This log, it looks like you might have the same problem.

    I had to download some third party tools that the little bug wasn't
    monitoring (and killing) to see the process and kill it. Probably any
    appropriate tool will work, I found a process list tool and a process
    kill tool for free at:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pstools.shtml.

    Only after I killed the process, could I remove it from the startup
    locations in the registry. Otherwise the process just put itself back
    into one of the startup locations in the registry.

    I had to kill the process, remove any referencing registry entries, and
    delete the file.

    Hope this helps,

    Bill

Configuration Device Manager Task Manager Windows XP