AMD Phenom II X4 840 Which Board Works?

tizzyloucat

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I was trying a new build with X4 capabilities. I bought ASUS m4A89GTD Pro and Phenom II X4 955 black. When I tried to start the board, it would not start. I removed the 955 and bent the pins in the process. OUCH! I bought the 840 to replace the 955. When I tried to start up the board with the X4 840 it would not start. I posted on a number of boards without success. I finally contacted ASUS and got a response saying that this CPU would not power the Pro. I ordered another CPU from a list Asus sent. Unfortunately, the X4 840 is a brand new CPU released in Jan. 2011. It is so new that it does not appear on Motherboard lists yet. I don't know how to tell which board would work with this CPU. Can someone tell me how I can tell if it would be compatible? Is compatibility based on Chipset or something else I can use to identify compatibility? I read on another Tech Board that the 840 will work with my M2nSli Deluxe (on another computer I have) but the bios would have to be flashed for the board to recognize the CPU and I am just not brave enough to do that. I am not an overclocker, just want an inexpensive board the 840 will work with. :sweat:

G

hmmm... you can sell the processor and get a athlon II x4 640 (same thing just lesser clocked), or sell everything and get a cheap laptop xD

jb6684

Distinguished
The "settings" for the CPUs that are compatible with a motherboard are in the BIOS. (fine point, for new but still compatible CPUs...)

Only way to fix it is to FLASH the latest BIOS. Problem is : you need an OLDER compatible CPU to install in the motherboard to boot up the system to change the BIOS..... a Catch 22 for sure.

I ran into this once too. As I didn't have a "spare old CPU" lying around I took the MB & CPU back to the store, MicroCenter and had them FLASH the BIOS so I could use the board.

The real lesson learned, don't buy the absolute latest and greatest CPU unless you check with the motherboard manufacturer 1st to assure it's compatible. Trouble is, if they have several versions of BIOS for a particular motherboard, even they won't know the VERSION of BIOS on the motherboard you get off the shelf..... so you'll have to buy from a bricks & mortar store like MicroCenter or Fry's that can Flash the BIOS for you....

The 955 will work for sure, are the pins too bent to Fix ?

tizzyloucat

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

As a matter of fact, I ordered the 640 to replace the 840. I really don't want to trash the 840. I could try to sell it I suppose, but the cpu is stuck to the bottom of the power supply and with my luck, I am a little afraid to try to unstick it. I was thinking of just getting a low priced board and putting the 840 on it. Between my Dad and I (he is 84 and taught me how to build computers) we probably have enough parts to create a working computer. I just need to know what board to use with the 840.

tizzyloucat

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

The pins look pretty bent to me. Maybe someone with steadier hands and better eyes than mine might be able to straighten them out. Actually, I had no idea the CPU was so new! I don't like to buy the latest and greatest because there are usually bugs. I only bought it because it was around $100 and I had already spent a ton of money on the 955 and mobo. That's what I get!!

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Sounds like the motherboard to me. as he stated that the 955 did not POST...The 955 should have worked without issue...RMA the board...BTW you have already went through 3 CPU's without correct operation...So I am leaning towards, that you have bigger issues than the CPU...The original issue was that the 955 did not POST correct?

tizzyloucat

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

You are correct the 955 would not start the fans even. After 3 CPUs and 2 power supplies, I think it is the MOBO too. I have asked ASUS for RMA. In addition, I tried different wall sockets too so I could be sure it was not an electrical problem in the work room.

tizzyloucat

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I really appreciate the help. I would like to gert a board for the 840. How can I know in advance whether I would need to flash a board to get the 840 to work with the new board since the information about the boards does not show what the bios revision is before you buy it??

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
BTW the chipset you speak of I believe would be the northbridge...Yes. it does determine the CPU you use like the 890GX NB you have on this MOBO. It has integrated graphics on the chipset, it also communicates between RAM, CPU, PCI-e, and the southbridge chipset. Whereas in the new Intel Sandy Bridge boards the graphic are integrated into the CPU architeture. I hope that I didn't confuse you with my jabbering on.

tizzyloucat

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Your answer about the chipset was very good and not confusing. It was what I was looking for. Again, you have been most helpful. I am sending the ASUS board back for a replacement. I found a reasonably priced board that will work with either a 640 or the 840 I have. I will build the 640 for myself and give my Dad the 640. He has been teaching me about computers for the last 8 or 9 years but we have not ventured into the quad cores before. Thanks again for your help.