Maxtor Central Axis (NAS) detection problem

I have a Maxtor Central Axis storage device (made for a networked environment). I have used this device for the last few years in my network work environment - no problems. I recently brought it home - need to access files while working at home - this is where problems begin. I attached the Maxtor to my verizon wireless router ethernet port - and ran the maxtor software - the software cannot find the device. I reinstalled the software - rebooted the computer and reran the software - still no detection of device. I reset the Maxtor - rebooted the router - reboot the computer - ran the software - still no detection of device.

I next connected the Maxtor directly to my ethernet port on my computer - I went out an bought a crossover cable for this connection (apparently didn't need to because the existing Maxtor cable is 2 way). When the Maxtor is connected to my computer I keep getting the "limited of no connectivity" status report on my network connection. I have clicked on the properties of the network connection and it gives me an IP address When i put this ip address in my explorer browser - it takes me to my own computer (a files window showing all of my printer drives - not sure why). I have done the ipconfig and it shows the ip address above as the ethernet network connection.

I need to access the Maxtor (don't care if directly form my computer or connected to my router) but for some reason - the MAxtor is not being detected by my computer or my router.

I have also tried making my computer Internet Connection Setting based on previous post I read suggesting that action - that did not work either - or maybe I didn't do it correctly.

I have tried to ping the Maxtor device when directly connected to my computer through the ethernet wire - using the Net ID on the bottom (MCA-xxxxx) but the results come back not found -

Really need the files - all help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. TIA
2 answers Last reply
More about maxtor central axis detection problem
  1. bueller?? bueller?? any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
  2. Does it work if you bring it back in your work location? Is your router a DHCP server? Connecting the Maxtor directly to your PC won't work unless your PC also is a DHCP server (software is required and the PC would need a static IP address).
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Computer Maxtor Devices Software Storage