CRT- Ditch it?

jrhii

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
I'm building a computer at the end of the summer to replace a 2 yr old laptop I got at for freshman year, and I need to decide if I should get a new monitor or just stick with the CRT for awhile. I have an old CRT sitting in the basement that I use as a second monitor and to photoshop, because it is better with colors. It is probably 19" (though it could be 17") and it has a 1600x1200 res. The downside is it has a few scratches in the screen and it makes my speaker setup more complicated because their magnetic field interferes with the screen. Also, it isn't the brightest screen in the world (when I am editing photos, I have to drag it over to the LCD to make sure that there is nothing in the dark areas that I missed).

I'm pretty sure LCD seems the way to go, out of convenience, but does anybody think I'd be sacrificing resolution and color gamut too much?

EDIT: I was pretty much stumped as to what subsection I should put this in, so I put it here. You are welcome to yell at me/redirect this post to somewhere more appropriate for screwing up.

Typically the most common LCD's come with a TN panel which are not touted as for professionals but more for gamers and movie buffs as they posses a fast response time.. There are high end LCD's with IPS and PVA panels also.. The latter suffers from high input lag times.. But they are typically expensive also.. If budget is of no issue then take a look at the HP LP2475W.. Its as IPS panel 24 in. with a 1920 x 1200 resolution and an excellent choice for a design professional.. BTW you should definitely get done with the CRT irrespective of your buy..

jrhii

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
I suppose I should mention I photoshop only as a hobby, and by no means a design professional (I am a history major/education career). The reason I am putting a computer is primarily for games, and because my laptop is slowly, but surely falling apart (don't by a dell studio, especially a 17" one, the hinge is too weak.);also, budget is an issue, but I don't yet know how much of an issue it is, as it will depend on how frugal I am this summer, and how much I spend on books.

Seeing as photoshop is secondary, and gaming is primary, is that to say I should go with a TN panel?

(edited for spelling error...twice)

hopar

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Here are the benefits of a LCD vs CRT

1. Less eye strain: LCD refresh the image differently from the way CRTs do it, and for most ppl the LCD method is easier on the eyes.
2. No radiation: Some ppl claimed that CRTS emitted cancer causing EM radiation, true or not, LCD lack an electromagnet, so not an issue. Also lack of magnet = no need for shielded speakers.
3. Free up space
4. Save energy, especially if u get an LED back-lit LCD, which can cut down energy costs nearly tend fold.
5. Less heat generated.
7. Wide screen format available.
6. DVI/HDMI connection, go digital!

jrhii

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Ok, cool. I'll probably put more inquiry into in July or August, when I buy everything. I'll probably be looking into spending somewhere between $700 and $900, but things are still up in the air about certain details, like whether or not I plan on buying a case, using a sturdy-albeit on the large side-case, or possibly building one custom (I go to a school with lots of engineering, so I figure I might use the machine shops while I have access to them.).

As such, what exactly I'm putting together will be sort of hazy until in a few months when I know how much money I have and what I am going to do about things like casing and whether or not to shell out for blu-ray.

On a side note, am I correct in thinking that, barring a really good sale, I am best in waiting to buy all my stuff at once time, instead of having bought a component (let's say a video card), and a month later being able to afford other other things and finding out the card I bought has dropped in price?

AMW1011

Distinguished
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176144

$220 is a steal. Full 8-bit panels look a hell of a lot better than TN-panels. They also have better black levels, allowing more detail in the darker ranges which is great for gaming too. Don't let the response time scare you, it is based off of GTG the fastest and most useless measurement of response time. BTB, CTC, CTW, OTO are what matters and they are similar to TN-panels in these respects.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
If you are used to the color gamut of a CRT, get a HP2475w IPS panel. They can be had for $400 on sale most of the time.

Mind you, if you are using a CRT for color accuracy and don't have a hardware color calibrator, you are probably fooling yourself into thinking it is more accurate. My Sony CRTs required a full calibration weekly to stay remotely accurate. My 2475w only has needed it twice in a year due to power surges, but I calibrate it monthly just to be safe. Just be ready to witness an Internet full of horrible color, as most "web professionals" run garbage TN panels and make poor color selections that may look funky of a properly calibrated display.

The "input lag" is typically a song of the ignorant these days. I regularly destroy CRT users in CStrike.

There is nothing wrong with incremental upgrades. You get the best you can afford, then save up get the next part and know it is the best. Buying everything at once will just result in multiple items being on sale a month later, so you justification there is probably subconscious straw grabbing.

Finally, just like with CRTs, do not buy a re-certified or refurbished panel. Older LCD panels will have latency that is very noticeable, especially in the 24+" range. Get new, get business class, and with a real warranty. In the end, you get what you pay for.

4745454b

Titan
Allow me to provide input on this as well. Long time CRT user here, and didn't want to switch to LCDs. My biggest problem with them is the back lighting which prevents true black from being displayed, and the lack of "correct" color. (CRTs do not suffer from either problem) I eventually made the switch anyways.

The back light problem I can still notice, but not all the time. When gaming, its a none issue. Same with surfing, writing papers, etc. As feared its an issue while watching movies/tv shows. I'm a big sci fi nut and space is the usual background on the shows I watch. Its not dark like it used to be, more like a DEEP gray. I decided the benefits that LCDs provide is worth the trade off.

Colors isn't as bad either. The first LCD I bought was for my wife. The colors were bad. She liked them however so I didn't bother trying to fix them. My LCD worked great out of the box. Due to a bad mobo I'm currently using her computer and screen so I've fixed the colors. It can be done. I don't need super accurate colors so its not as bad a problem as the black. If PS is only a hobby I doubt it will be an issue with you as well.

jrhii

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
I am experienced with a color calibration, though I do feel it gets to be a hassle.

I'm thinking what I'll do is get an LCD as a main but, attach the CRT as secondary, because I can definitely notice the difference in black levels during movies (also, I enjoy the extra productivity of having multiple monitors, or at least the appearance of being extra productive). It looks pretty amazing when I pop in LOTR (luckily the extended edition DVD's are such high quality that I'm willing to wait another year or two till they are out on blu-ray).

I looked at the new egg monitor, but I don't have spending money till next week when I get home and deposit my tax return; also, even though I generally trust refurbs, a lot of reviews said the packing was pretty sketch.