Sign in with
Your question

Getting New Graphics Card-Video Decoding-ATI and NVIDIA about equal?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 9, 2010 3:23:46 AM

I am going to get a new video card for my PC-currently have an old 8600 GT-need something a little more powerful to go along with my I5-750 OCed to 3.6. I do more media than playing games, but I may start gaming again. I mostly play FPS when I do play.

I know in terms of 3D performance, low end Nvidia and ATI are about tied. I am more concerned about video decoding performance. I have been very happy with the decoding of the 8600 GT-I just don't want to get something with worse decoding performance-often times I am running two screens-one for my desktop while I do work and have a video playing through the TV.
I could not find any recent reviews regarding CPU usage between those two cards-maybe because they are so equal? Any experiences?
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2010 3:28:43 AM

ATI won't help you with video encoding, you need nVidia's CUDA for that. That said, switch off CUDA and do some video encoding, you may see that CUDA is actually useless when you have such a fast processor.

For the low end, ATI beats out nVidia completely in gaming performance.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2010 4:12:11 AM

AMW1011 said:
ATI won't help you with video encoding, you need nVidia's CUDA for that. That said, switch off CUDA and do some video encoding, you may see that CUDA is actually useless when you have such a fast processor.

For the low end, ATI beats out nVidia completely in gaming performance.

not entirely true, there is avivo for ati

EDIT: with opencl or DirectCompute, we may see a cross vendor app
m
l
!