Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installing SSD in netbook

Last response: in Storage
August 7, 2012 4:01:15 PM

I have a Samsung SSD on its way to my house to replace the HDD in my Acer Aspire One 722 with windows 64 bit. I don't care about the data on it but would like to get the most performance out of my SSD with a fresh install. So if I make a the acer bootable USB drive backup will it notice my SSD during install or would it try to revert to the settings of the original HDD that was in it.

More about : installing ssd netbook

a c 289 G Storage
August 7, 2012 4:36:30 PM

Yaargh! I just lost all my text.

The restore disks that come with a factory system aren't full install discs; they reset the machine to the factory state. So you would get an SSD with the config for an HDD.

If you are willing to risk your time and system, you could then put all the SSD tweaks in place, starting with a registry change and then setting your controller to AHCI mode (if it supports that?). There are people here who can give you some good coaching.

Good luck
m
l
August 7, 2012 4:42:48 PM

If I have a windows 7 64bit upgrade disk is there anyway to make it USB bootable and then install on the SSD and put the key code from the bottom plate in there will it work.
m
l
Related resources
a c 289 G Storage
August 7, 2012 4:47:04 PM

If A) you have a USB DVD drive, and B) the machine supports booting from USB, then you can boot from the Win7 disk. Then you can take a setup with the SSD copied from the HDD and either do a repair install or a full install - the upgrade process should see the existing OS and allow itself to run without entering a key.

There is a way to use an upgrade disk as a full install disk - do a search over at sevenforums.com. But I don't know if what's on your bottom plate is the activation key or some other form of serial number, so it's a risk (based on my limited knowledge).
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
August 7, 2012 5:12:30 PM

Cool - that's the article that I always link to when people ask that question. Do you know that tecmo34 is a Tom's moderator?

I stand by that guide, although I do have pagefile and swapfile which most guides say to disable. I'm looking to enable indexing, too. If you want to get it right, run through all that stuff. A lot of it is simply what the OS would do during an install to SSD.
m
l
August 7, 2012 5:16:00 PM

Well if I will get about the same performance after doing those tweaks in that tutorial as I would with a fresh install I may just clone.
m
l
August 7, 2012 5:17:13 PM

mainstang said:
How involved would it be to install a cloned image from the HDD to the SSD and then change all the windows settings to optimize the SSD performance. Some tutorials make it not sound too difficult but this one http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-...
makes it seem quite involved.

Download EaseUS Todo, it's free, to your hard drive. You will have to put your SSD in a usb case then clone your hd drive to your usb ssd, exact clone. Then remove your hard drive from your netbook and replace it with the ssd.
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
August 7, 2012 5:18:58 PM

ebbote59 said:
Download EaseUS Todo, it's free, to your hard drive. You will have to put your SSD in a usb case then clone your hd drive to your usb ssd, exact clone. Then remove your hard drive from your netbook and replace it with the ssd.

With Easues, it's better to build a bootable EASEUS drive, back up your system to external drive, put SSD in system, change drive controller to AHCI mode, boot EASEUS disc, and do Restore to Dissimilar Hardware. It will do all the driver twiddling for you.
m
l
August 7, 2012 5:23:09 PM

So if I use EASEUS could I make a bootable drive out of a 16gig flash drive or would I need more space?
m
l
August 7, 2012 6:53:39 PM

If your are going to copy all the date to a flash drive you will need a flash large enough to cover all the data on your hd, in a
word, No, 16gigs will not be enough.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 7, 2012 7:27:37 PM

If you have a Win7 OEM disk laying around, you should do a fresh install and use the netbook key for activation.

F6 the AHCI inf -- be sure you have updated drivers (chipset, video, LAN, codecs, webcam, bluetooth, etc) on your thumbdrive for installation. Run all your appropriate OS updates.

And, off yah go ...

m
l
August 7, 2012 9:00:42 PM

Ok so I just purchased a 2.5mm HDD enclosure to put to the SSD in and clone to it. Will I be able to clone a drive that is 320gb to an SSD that is 128gb. I have come nowhere close to filling up the HDD's 320gb. Would it only clone the occupied space or would I have to create a partion or something?
m
l
August 7, 2012 9:39:02 PM

Go to your hd properties and see how much data is on your drive and go from there. If the ssd is going to be the only drive
it is not that large, you can always use a usb drive for all your other programs.
m
l
August 9, 2012 8:57:31 PM

I have read abourt the AHCI mode for SATA. If im going to clone my HDD to my SSD in the enclosure how and when do I switch the BIOS to AHCI and align the SSD?? Not sure if im using the terms correctly. Can I clone the HDD then swap the SSD in then before boot up change to AHCI mode in BIOS. After OS is up go ahead and make the tweaks that are in the link with my previous post?
m
l

Best solution

a c 289 G Storage
August 10, 2012 1:03:25 PM

Don't clone to the SSD in the enclosure. In my opinion:

0) If your boot partition is larger than the SSD, make a new partition on that drive or another drive and move data files (or My Documents!) and iTunes and the like to the other partition / drive until what is left of the boot partition will fit on the SSD.

1) Download EASEUS ToDo or buy Acronis. Build a bootable CD or flash drive.

2) Put empty HDD in external housing. Boot to backup utility disc. Make image of your system drive (full backup, not clone) to the external housing.

3) Replace system drive with blank SSD. Change controller mode to AHCI.

4) With external drive attached, boot to backup utility disc. Restore backup image to SSD, with option named something like "Restore to dissimilar hardware" checked. Look for an option "Optimize for SSD" and, if found, check that too.

5) Remove external drive, boot to SSD, go to Windows Update and run a full update.

6) Admire my wisdom. Or burn my in effigy if it did not work.
August 10, 2012 2:07:04 PM

Best answer selected by Mainstang.
m
l
!