1200 with monitor build asking for help

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Here is the deal. I get my financial aid in August, to build a computer. I have asked around different parts of the forums about things, and I think I've come to a build that I can live with until prices drop somewhere. My question is.. is this the CHEAPEST way I can go with this...

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: August 20th

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, folding (new but if I have it...), school/media other

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Mouse.. never giving up my MX 510

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.. hasn't let me down so far

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type ATI/AMD, $$/performance ratio must be high (lemme know if I went too high on anything)

OVERCLOCKING: Will OC, even a little bit. Will not be Xfiring, but will probably update the video card in the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Looking for something that is elegant (hence the Lian Li) while still being efficient and practical

Here is my pre-build, will be updating thanks to you guys as I get closer. Sorry to ask so many times, just want to be sure, and be up-to-date on the current trends.
Lian Li PC-A05NB
Lian Li Cable-Management
Lian Li T-LM14B-2 Top Cover
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 AM3
XFX HD-585X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
G.Skill ECO Series 4GB DDR 1333
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA - oh damn its not 6gb/s, will that make a difference
Logitech 920-000021 Back USB Standar Access Keyborad
ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24' 2ms(GTG HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound
APEVIA CF14S-BG 140mm Case Fan

If I use the stock heatsink/fan with the pcu can I still OC, even a bit?
If I can , do I need to the tuniq stuff?
If not, what suggestions would you have for a good heatsink.

Other than that, hows it look?

Thanks

$1128AR this + LCD that u picked out ^^
Untitled-159.jpg

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Without being a D*Bag can I get links?

On second look that looks good, but I really would like the case I picked out. I am done with plastic/steel, and would love something light that would look good on top of my desk (only place I can put it)

Also, is there a point in getting a mobo that supports 6gb/sec whereas the harddrive is 3gb/sec?

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Merged batuchka with my list, came out with 1,250 + 38 shipping

Looks good. So with my price range SSD is out of the question I assumed, am I correct?

Otherwise you are amazing at making combos work, especially with the 5870

That sound about right?

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
I've been looking for about 6 months. Trying to get a feel for the market, unfortunately some of the markets have been going up, not down. I might be a bit overly excited - hence the wanting to get a build affirmation now. I was looking at Ibuypower just so I had to do nothing, but it was about 100 more than my build, and I couldn't justify it.

I was really just trying to make sure I had 4ish years of expandability, since the last computer I built I stretched out to 7 years.

And as long as the 955 stays available I'd love to keep it in the build, just because I don't see a need for a 6core. As long as I can put the next CPU (x6) and the next GPU (whatever it will be) in this I would be happy.

^ Well your date of purchase is about 2 months away...and so many things can change, so will the combos...So if you ask me, I would say to keep your options open...and also you can expect price drop for various parts - especially the mobo, GPU, maybe CPU and RAM...So you might be able to get a SSD in your budget too...

But the above build is a good start though...

For any single powerful graphics card, you wont need more than 600W - GTX 480 included( Here not talking about dual-chip graphic cards like HD 5970/ GTX 295)...
This would be a very good option...
CM Silent PRO 600W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171036

Other options above 600W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207002
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012

For me dun bother: breaking up that beefy 650TX +F3 1TB combo (effectively $70 before $10AR for PSU) and the prices u end up paying for modular 650W/80+ PSUs of similiar quality just dun seem too bright a move to me. A wee bit of creative cable management and/or learn along the way and it's all good

^ I do agree that the HDD + PSU is a very good deal...
But when working with small cases, it is not easy to do a good cable management and that too with the a high-powered PSU as those have many unused cables left, not to forget, their length too...
Just check out the pics of that case and also notice that the PSU is not in the default location where you expect it to be...