Mid-end Fermi GPUs?

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
like, something like the GTX 260 core 216, but Fermi based with same exact core count with DX11.

OR low end would be like a G92 128 core version? they definitely need those cards for the mid-low end market. Yea yea, i got the gtx 470, but that's out of the average buyer.

Solution

That's what I think also considering the extra cost of the cooling that those higher amps require as well-- besides the fact that the cost of the Fermi chip places it a bit high for use in a lower end product and with the 480 and 470 already being partially non functional chips (not using the entire original design of the chip) they probably are using most of the functional dies for the production of them already and do not have a big surplus...

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
like, something like the GTX 260 core 216, but Fermi based with same exact core count with DX11.

OR low end would be like a G92 128 core version? they definitely need those cards for the mid-low end market. Yea yea, i got the gtx 470, but that's out of the average buyer.

Is that your prediction or are you asking a question ... ?

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Nvidia might not hit the mainstream or low end market with their high power fermis.

A lot of people can't take a GPU that takes up 200W and more. Even if the low end runs cooler and at a lower voltage they require AMPs like no tomorrow. Most people only have power supplies with 25A rails.

That's what I think also considering the extra cost of the cooling that those higher amps require as well-- besides the fact that the cost of the Fermi chip places it a bit high for use in a lower end product and with the 480 and 470 already being partially non functional chips (not using the entire original design of the chip) they probably are using most of the functional dies for the production of them already and do not have a big surplus of chips that could be used for a lower end product to make it a feasible use for the partial defect chips from production.

Solution