Recommended Power Supply

Hey guys,

One of my friends at work is upgrading his gaming system (he was previously running 3 GeForce 9800 GTX+) and he decided to give me two of them. My current system is very antiquated (got it about 6 years ago) so I'm completely building a new system. I'll list the components that I have priced right now (and if anyone has any comments on any of them, feel free to let me know) but my biggest question is how much power do I need? I read somewhere that to run two 9800 GTX+ in SLI, the minimum is 750W but I wanted to know for this particular system: (Sorry, just felt like copy/paste from Newegg)

Case: XCLIO A380BK Fully Black SECC 1.0mm thickness ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Mobo: MSI NF750-G55 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
RAM: A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
GPU: 2 nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ (SLI)
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC ...

If anyone can help with this, it would be greatly appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about recommended power supply
  1. That Antec Earthwatts PSU will be perfect, its a great PSU and gives you the headroom for an OC and GPU upgrade in the future.
  2. In this same system, I was wondering what would be a good CPU fan/heatsink, or if I need one (I don't ever overclock)? I've homebuilt systems before, but have always got my performance-intensive machines prebuilt (Cyberpower) but thought I'd try this time
  3. You don't need an aftermarket cooler if you're not overclocking. The stock cooler works just fine with a stock speed CPU. That's what the cooler was designed to do. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Power Supplies Systems Product