Sign in with
Your question

Prebuilt System - How to Ask for Advice

Last response: in Systems
June 15, 2010 4:41:10 PM

Hello all THG members

With this new Prebuilt sub-section in the System forum, which was previously dedicated to custom build systems, I though it would be good to write an advise thread for people to fill in before posting in this section, in order to help others to answer questions better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Concept taken from Animal's *How To Ask For New Build Advice* sticky

Create a New Topic for your build with a descriptive title, such as "$600 Dell Complete System PC" or "Digital Storm PC versus Custom PC Pros & Cons", not just "Help" or "Building Computer".

In order to make things easy, copy and paste the following template into your post and edit the italicized examples to suit your needs:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: 600-800)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (e.g.: surfing the internet, watching movies, Folding@Home, gaming)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PC: (e.g.: CyperPowerPC, Digital Storm, Dell, Best Buy, HP)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: (e.g.: USA, England)

WHY PREBUILT VERSUS CUSTOM BUILT: (e.g.: Don't have the time to build one, For my grandparents, which don't need anything beyond a prebuilt system, System includes everything I need at a price I can't beat...)

I HAVE CONSIDERED THE FOLLOWING: (e.g.:
  • BIOS may be locked, which will prevent overclocking

• System may or may not be easily upgraded do to case size|layout, motherboard features|layout or power supply requirements (Watts|Amps)

• Components may or may not be of high-end components (such as Corsair PSU's, ASUS/Gigabyte motherboards) and can be generic OEM components, which may or may not fail quicker

• Customer support may or may not be the best, so system issues and or RMA's may be difficult to work through with the OEM manufacturer

• I have visited Better Business Bureau and Reseller Ratings and read some of the reviews and ratings for my preferred vendor.)

• WOULD YOU CONSIDER A CUSTOM BUILT INSTEAD: (e.g.: I would consider a custom build, if the price to performance with all of the components (monitor, keyboard... etc.) are equal or relatively close to the prebuilt pricing, so please post me a good alternative)

PREBUILT SYSTEM LINK: Post the actual link to the system in question for review using the one of the two formats below:

• Format One:
    Example:
    Dell Studio XPS 7100 Desktop Details
    http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/studio-xps-7100/pd.asp...

Looks like:
    Dell Studio XPS 7100 Desktop Details
    http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/studio-xps-7100...

• Format Two:
    Links can also be created using the following format: [url= paste the url here ] paste the label here [/url]

Example:
    [url=http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/AMD_Hex_Core_Configu...]AMD Hex Core Configurator[/url]

Looks like:
    AMD Hex Core Configurator
  • More about : prebuilt system advice

June 15, 2010 5:14:00 PM

1st in a future sticky! Irish WIN!
    Related resources
    June 16, 2010 2:25:34 AM

Nice work!
    June 18, 2010 10:15:02 PM

Always good to have a Form for things like this.
    July 1, 2010 5:06:48 PM

This needs a bump and sticky >.<
    !