Prebuilt System - How to Ask for Advice

Hello all THG members

With this new Prebuilt sub-section in the System forum, which was previously dedicated to custom build systems, I though it would be good to write an advise thread for people to fill in before posting in this section, in order to help others to answer questions better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Concept taken from Animal's *How To Ask For New Build Advice* sticky

Create a New Topic for your build with a descriptive title, such as "$600 Dell Complete System PC" or "Digital Storm PC versus Custom PC Pros & Cons", not just "Help" or "Building Computer".

In order to make things easy, copy and paste the following template into your post and edit the italicized examples to suit your needs:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: 600-800)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (e.g.: surfing the internet, watching movies, Folding@Home, gaming)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PC: (e.g.: CyperPowerPC, Digital Storm, Dell, Best Buy, HP)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: (e.g.: USA, England)

WHY PREBUILT VERSUS CUSTOM BUILT: (e.g.: Don't have the time to build one, For my grandparents, which don't need anything beyond a prebuilt system, System includes everything I need at a price I can't beat...)

I HAVE CONSIDERED THE FOLLOWING: (e.g.:
BIOS may be locked, which will prevent overclocking
System may or may not be easily upgraded do to case size|layout, motherboard features|layout or power supply requirements (Watts|Amps)
Components may or may not be of high-end components (such as Corsair PSU's, ASUS/Gigabyte motherboards) and can be generic OEM components, which may or may not fail quicker
Customer support may or may not be the best, so system issues and or RMA's may be difficult to work through with the OEM manufacturer
I have visited Better Business Bureau and Reseller Ratings and read some of the reviews and ratings for my preferred vendor.)

WOULD YOU CONSIDER A CUSTOM BUILT INSTEAD: (e.g.: I would consider a custom build, if the price to performance with all of the components (monitor, keyboard... etc.) are equal or relatively close to the prebuilt pricing, so please post me a good alternative)

PREBUILT SYSTEM LINK: Post the actual link to the system in question for review using the one of the two formats below:

Format One:
Example:
Dell Studio XPS 7100 Desktop Details
http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/studio-xps-7100/pd.aspx?refid=studio-xps-7100&cs=19&s=dhs

Looks like:
Dell Studio XPS 7100 Desktop Details
http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/studio-xps-7100/pd.aspx?refid=studio-xps-7100&cs=19&s=dhs

Format Two:
Links can also be created using the following format: [url= paste the url here ] paste the label here [/url]

Example:
[url=http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/AMD_Hex_Core_Configurator/]AMD Hex Core Configurator[/url]

Looks like:
AMD Hex Core Configurator
5 answers Last reply
More about prebuilt system advice
  1. 1st in a future sticky! Irish WIN!
  2. In the " I have considered the following" column, perhaps add

I have visited Better Business Bureau and Reseller Ratings and read some of the reviews and ratings for my preferred vendor.

Edit: May be better off with the direct link to the BBB Review/Score Search page, since it takes a bit to navigate to. Better Business Bureau
  3. Nice work!
  4. Always good to have a Form for things like this.
  5. This needs a bump and sticky >.<
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Systems Systems Product