Sign in with
Your question

Raid 0 Issues!

Last response: in Storage
August 7, 2012 10:56:25 PM

Hi,

I am currently trying to setup a simple 2 160GB HDD RAID 0 setup to use for installation of Windows 7 Ultimate, however I am coming across some issues regarding setting it up. I am able to change my SATA mode to 'Raid from AHCI' then create an array for my two hard drives, however when I install the operating system on the Raid HDD, I am unable to boot into windows, every time the BIOS Posts and then hands over to the OS after the installation it begins to update the registry and then restarts and continues the cycle.

I am using -

Asrock 970 Extreme3 Motherboard
AMD Phenom x4 II 965 BE
160GB WDC WD1600AAJS-07PSA0 ATA Device (For the Raid setup, identical drives)

I am currently running windows 7 ultimate off my 3rd HDD and have create a software strioed RAID 0 using disk management which seems to work, however I want to be able to install windows onto the raid drive and not my standard HDD.

I am currently running my 250GB HDD in AHCI mode, if I run RAID mode, the 250GB fails to boot, giving my a disk fail error, I was under the influence that standard Sata drives could still load whilst in RAID?

Thanks!
Anymore information you need, I can answer swiftly.

More about : raid issues

August 8, 2012 9:52:38 AM

EDIT: ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND IMAGES TO EXPLAIN.

I have attempted another setup following these steps in order to get this to work.

#1 - I changed my controller in the BIOS from AHCI to RAID and rebooted.

#2 - I booted into the RAID controller and create a RAID 0 array seen in image 1.

#3 - I booted through my Windows 7 Ultimate disc when the array was setup.
#4 - Loaded the drivers needed for windows to see my new 'Raid Volume'.
#5 - Began the installation allowing a new partition to be created & a system reserved partition to be created.
#5a - I have done the following step without creating the two partitions and I still get the same results.
#6 - Windows finished the installation and rebooted to system.
#7 - Windows began to load and update registry settings, Image below again.

#8 - Windows rebooted and crashed.

#9 - Attempted to repair the new installation using a Windows 7 repair disc, loaded the driver and selected the boot drive, however nothing could be repaired.
#10 - System reboots again, nothing will boot into windows. Using my 250GB i get a disc failure on bootup due to being in RAID mode.
#11 - Changed the controller back to AHCI and booted through the 250GB to get the system to work.
#12 - The RAID HDD shows up, however to use it, I need to format the drive completely.
a c 85 G Storage
August 8, 2012 11:05:30 AM

did you install the specific raid-driver for your HDD controller? (F6 in the first stage of installation)
Related resources
August 8, 2012 11:09:04 AM

I loaded the driver during installation using my USB, I downloaded the drivers from Asrock specifically.

For the OS to see my HDD I needed to install the driver.

August 8, 2012 3:24:45 PM

Also does anyone know if I should be able to boot into windows using my other Harddrive whilst the controller is set to raid? I should have the ability to do that right?
January 27, 2013 6:49:39 AM

People might find it helpful to also check if their hard drives support RAID. I narrowly avoided a bad drive choice with western digital back in 2011 where I wanted to buy Caviar Black drives for RAID. Only after researching on google did I find that some drives are deliberately sabotaged from working well on RAID and fail. So keep an eye out for the ones that specifically mention they work with RAID otherwise you're doomed from the start. Just my two cents :p  BAD WESTERN DIGITAL BAD!!!
a b G Storage
January 27, 2013 7:14:41 AM

creepyt81 said:
People might find it helpful to also check if their hard drives support RAID. I narrowly avoided a bad drive choice with western digital back in 2011 where I wanted to buy Caviar Black drives for RAID. Only after researching on google did I find that some drives are deliberately sabotaged from working well on RAID and fail. So keep an eye out for the ones that specifically mention they work with RAID otherwise you're doomed from the start. Just my two cents :p  BAD WESTERN DIGITAL BAD!!!

It's not BAD drive, but BAD raid engine :-) I ran 20 Green WD for over three years now - four (4) RAID5 no majot issue, only drive went bad. Just replace and it rebuids

In OP case, it seems like the drivers could not load...
Check the drivers version for latest rev.

I think you can do this, set the single HDD as PASSTHROUGHT or BIG. Boot from the this pass-through HDD.
One it boots WIn7 should be able to fix the RAID drivers
January 27, 2013 11:19:36 PM

Well I actually stumbled on this article whilst trying to find out RAID performance for the Asrock 970 Extreme 3 motherboard and noticed there was a problem, I did note however that in my experience I read somewhere that Western Digital (and other drive manufacturers) intentionally de-feature destop drives making them incompatible with RAID controllers. One example of this is the lack of TLER support. This immediately halted an ebay purchase and I quickly paid a little extra for the enterprise edition drives which do support raid. I'm just saying that to err on the side of caution is always a good idea.

I'm going to attempt a RAID 0 setup with 2 1TB Western Digital drives next week, and just to be safe I'm doing my research now. If anything goes wrong I'll be posting on here for advice. Wish me luck. :sweat: 

a b G Storage
January 28, 2013 6:34:02 PM

creepyt81 said:
Well I actually stumbled on this article whilst trying to find out RAID performance for the Asrock 970 Extreme 3 motherboard and noticed there was a problem, I did note however that in my experience I read somewhere that Western Digital (and other drive manufacturers) intentionally de-feature destop drives making them incompatible with RAID controllers. One example of this is the lack of TLER support. This immediately halted an ebay purchase and I quickly paid a little extra for the enterprise edition drives which do support raid. I'm just saying that to err on the side of caution is always a good idea.

I'm going to attempt a RAID 0 setup with 2 1TB Western Digital drives next week, and just to be safe I'm doing my research now. If anything goes wrong I'll be posting on here for advice. Wish me luck. :sweat: 

Here is what I did... 40TB Server consume about 180W
http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22898&pag...

ALL GREEN DRVIVES.... it's just what raid engine that you are using.
a c 813 G Storage
January 28, 2013 9:30:32 PM

nobody noticed this thread was from August???
January 29, 2013 4:12:50 AM

popatim said:
nobody noticed this thread was from August???

Of course I did, but I thought I'd comment in case some other user stumbled across it like I did and learn something else. :p 
!