Memory

jem

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2001

Not sure this is the correct news group for this question, if not forgive
me.

This is a little used computer, hard drive has 76 percent free space.

I have 256 K of memory in reviewing system resources or whatever, it
indicates I only have 19 K of physical memory.

A. is this OK
B. might this be the cause of the computer running very slow
C. if the lack of physical memory is a problem, how do I rectify it

Thanks,

jem

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

A. Probably
B. Could be.
C. Add more memrory.

"jem" <jem0510@charter.net> wrote in message
> Not sure this is the correct news group for this question, if not forgive
> me.
>
> This is a little used computer, hard drive has 76 percent free space.
>
> I have 256 K of memory in reviewing system resources or whatever, it
> indicates I only have 19 K of physical memory.
>
> A. is this OK
> B. might this be the cause of the computer running very slow
> C. if the lack of physical memory is a problem, how do I rectify it
>
> Thanks,
>
> jem

A. It's OK - i.e. your RAM is used to the limit.
B. Yes.
C. 512 MB RAM is a minimum these days - albeit, 1GB is better. Depending on
your hardware specifications, buy either:
a. one stick of identical 256MB RAM
b. one stick 512MB - to replace the 256
c. two mathched 256 (or 512 for 1GB total) MB sticks.
You have to check the motherboard manufacturer's specs or use a memory
configurator on any major memory manufacturer's web site: Corsair, Kingston,
OCZ etc.
There are many other possible causes for slow systems - antiquated hardware
(slow CPU, slow hard-drive) and/or software related (spyware,
misconfigurations) - but it is certain that you need more RAM first.
Michael