Antec 300 fans to motherboard?

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
My Antec 300 case came with fans that have speed swithes. And they also only have connectors that will connect to the power supply type connection.

Am I able to connect this type of fan to the motherboard with an adapter? The reason I would like to do this is so that I could use software to control them variable speed dependent on system temperature. Could I get an adapter and just set the speed swith to high and expect them to work variably?

g725s

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

Bump. There has to have been others here that have dealt with these Antec case fans, wanting to connect them to the motherboard. Anyone?

An adapter like this would power your fans, but I would just plug them into the PSU and use the speed switches to control the fans.

4-pin Molex to 3-Pin Female Socket Cable Adapter - Sleeved $3.49

They do have a disclaimer that you should pay special attention to:

"Please understand the 4-pin MOLEX fans have no RPM (tach signal). You can see this at the hub of the fan that there is only a red and black wire for 12V power. So you can use this cable on a 3-pin fan controller to vary the fan speed but if your fan controller shows fan rpm it will not display because again, 4-pin Molex fans do not have this output."