UK Digital Photography Magazines - Which one???

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 15, 2004 11:12:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,free.uk.photographic.equipment.digital,free.uk.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hi,

I had owned a Sony digital compact for a number of years and enjoyed taking
photos with it and figured that some of those were pretty good efforts
considering the equipment and my totally non-serious approach to
photography.

Anyway, I decided that I would like to take my photography more seriously
and so recently purchased a Canon EOS 300D.

My question today is - can anyone recommend any of the multitude of digital
photography magazines available in the UK?

I appreciate that this is going to be down to personal preferences but if
there is any publication that stands out in the responses I receive then it
may be a helpful starting point. Likewise, if anyone thinks any of them are
particularly bad please say so.

It's just I visited my local newsagent to day and ended up leaving empty
handed as I just couldn't decide - there must have been 6-8 different
DIGITAL magazines along side the likes of Practical Photography, Amateur
Photographer...

I just want something that's going to keep me abreast of developments, show
some equipment tests/reviews and possibly teach me something about using my
new camera. Bearing in mind I'm using a digital SLR, a magazine crammed full
of info on the compacts may not be as helpful to me. Or should I just buy a
good old fashioned photography magazine? Practical Photography claims to be
the biggest seller in the UK.

Thanks for your help

Richard
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 1:12:10 AM

On 15/12/04 8:12 pm, in article VU0wd.400$l%4.376@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net,
"Richard Hamilton" <rich.hamilton@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had owned a Sony digital compact for a number of years and enjoyed taking
> photos with it and figured that some of those were pretty good efforts
> considering the equipment and my totally non-serious approach to
> photography.
>
> Anyway, I decided that I would like to take my photography more seriously
> and so recently purchased a Canon EOS 300D.
>
> My question today is - can anyone recommend any of the multitude of digital
> photography magazines available in the UK?
>
> I appreciate that this is going to be down to personal preferences but if
> there is any publication that stands out in the responses I receive then it
> may be a helpful starting point. Likewise, if anyone thinks any of them are
> particularly bad please say so.
>
> It's just I visited my local newsagent to day and ended up leaving empty
> handed as I just couldn't decide - there must have been 6-8 different
> DIGITAL magazines along side the likes of Practical Photography, Amateur
> Photographer...
>
> I just want something that's going to keep me abreast of developments, show
> some equipment tests/reviews and possibly teach me something about using my
> new camera. Bearing in mind I'm using a digital SLR, a magazine crammed full
> of info on the compacts may not be as helpful to me. Or should I just buy a
> good old fashioned photography magazine? Practical Photography claims to be
> the biggest seller in the UK.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Richard

Here, a "non-serious approach to photography" is like blood to a vampire. ;]
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 4:21:25 AM

Online mag at www.ephotozine.com/

--
Geoff Jackson, Nottingham, UK.
g.j.photo@REMOVETHISntlworld.com

In message <pq5wd.735$re5.704@newsfe2-win.ntli.net>, Geoff Jackson
<g.j.photo@REMOVE_THISntlworld.com> writes
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had owned a Sony digital compact for a number of years and enjoyed
>> taking photos with it and figured that some of those were pretty good
>> efforts considering the equipment and my totally non-serious approach to
>> photography.
>>
>> Anyway, I decided that I would like to take my photography more seriously
>> and so recently purchased a Canon EOS 300D.
>>
>> My question today is - can anyone recommend any of the multitude of
>> digital photography magazines available in the UK?
>>
>> I appreciate that this is going to be down to personal preferences but if
>> there is any publication that stands out in the responses I receive then
>> it may be a helpful starting point. Likewise, if anyone thinks any of them
>> are particularly bad please say so.
>>
>> It's just I visited my local newsagent to day and ended up leaving empty
>> handed as I just couldn't decide - there must have been 6-8 different
>> DIGITAL magazines along side the likes of Practical Photography, Amateur
>> Photographer...
>>
>> I just want something that's going to keep me abreast of developments,
>> show some equipment tests/reviews and possibly teach me something about
>> using my new camera. Bearing in mind I'm using a digital SLR, a magazine
>> crammed full of info on the compacts may not be as helpful to me. Or
>> should I just buy a good old fashioned photography magazine? Practical
>> Photography claims to be the biggest seller in the UK.
>>
>> Thanks for your help
>>
>> Richard
>>

>Online mag at www.ephotozine.com/

I'll second the comment about ePhotozine above - it's an excellent
online community. The various UK digital mags have been repositioning
themselves in the last few months as digital has finally taken the lead
here. Long-term readers like me have seen the results as "dumbing
down", while newer readers (many of whom are just happy to learn how to
take better family snapshots) are finding themselves welcomed with lots
of more basic articles. General photo mags like Practical Photography
have succumbed to this as well, even though their publishers cater to
the digital market with separate titles.

If you are interested in photo *manipulation*, I would recommend Digital
Photo, Digital Camera, Digital Photo Effects (recently known as Digital
Photo Techniques) or Digital Photographer - at the moment, Digital Photo
appears to have the edge on well-written tutorials from comments I've
read in various forums. (Total Digital Photography - produced by the
publishers of Photography Monthly - has recently replaced its entire
original editorial team but, despite my appreciation of Will Cheung's
editorial abilities, I haven't been impressed with the new version.)
The others are way too basic (Digital Photography Made Easy, Digital
Photo User, etc.).

I'd say there are 3 "mainstream" photo mags here, all of which have
increased their specifically digital content to around 30% - I've never
liked Amateur Photo, but I subscribe to both Practical Photography
(which Will Cheung left last spring) and Photography Monthly (which he
now oversees), and the changes in both titles reflect his involvement.
PP has declined markedly, despite its recent cosmetic overhaul and PM
has been an exceptionally good read. If you are interested in B&W
images, then I'd recommend Black & White Photography, which contains
*some* specifically digital content, and lots of stunning images. In
any case, make sure you check out the mags' web sites before making a
decision, as many of them contain past articles and current contents
info. I have a list of links here:
http://www.dont-blink.net/luplinks.htm

-Lucrezia
--
http://www.dont-blink.net/lining_up.htm
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.photography,free.uk.photographic.equipment.digital,free.uk.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Digital photo is my favourite; also Total Digital Photography is
normally good, but been varied recently, and I suppose I should admit to
an interest in TDP as I went to colleage with the editor (who also
reviews for www.dpreview.com) and last year won one of their monthly
competitions, but stay well clear of Digital Photography Made Easy as
its full of cr*p and contains many factual inaccuracies. I bought it by
accident :(
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 9:56:35 PM

In message <1103220803.2474.0@demeter.uk.clara.net>, digiboy
<digiboy@mailinator.com> writes
>Digital photo is my favourite; also Total Digital Photography is
>normally good, but been varied recently, and I suppose I should admit
>to an interest in TDP as I went to colleage with the editor (who also
>reviews for www.dpreview.com)

Except that Simon Joinson no longer edits Total Digital Photography -
his entire team (who once upon a time actually produced What Digital
Camera before starting up TDP a couple of years ago) has been replaced.
As mentioned in an earlier post, Will Cheung is now at the helm, but I
don't think TDP has benefitted from it in the last couple of issues.

-Lucrezia
--
http://www.dont-blink.net/lining_up.htm
December 16, 2004 10:31:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,free.uk.photographic.equipment.digital,free.uk.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I agree with Digital photo, especially Page 80 of the January edition ;-)

I didn't know the staff had departed from Total Digital Photographer and
wondered why I was reading the mag a lot quicker these days :-(

Another one worth considering is What Digital Camera - is also pretty good
these days and seems to be taking off now that TDP has lost its cutting
edge, but then again perhaps I am little too biased towards the Featured
portfolio in the upcoming January issue <grin>

One thing that I love about Shutterbug and several other US magazines though
that we can never achieve over here are the prices :-(

I would love a DSLR but paying twice the price just isn't on in good old
"Rip off UK" :-(

Steve

Homepage: http://www.stevebb.com
Photo portfolio: http://www.usefilm.com/member/steveb
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 12:12:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,free.uk.photographic.equipment.digital,free.uk.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks everyone for your comments and especially to Lucrezia for the great
list of links.

And thanks to Geoff for the pointer to ephotozine - looks good at first
glance and I'm about to go back to it for a good old root around.

Cheers

Rich
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 2:57:36 AM

In message <Nolwd.2168$hf4.741@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, Fred
<Fred.b@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>I agree with Digital photo, especially Page 80 of the January edition ;-)
>
>I didn't know the staff had departed from Total Digital Photographer and
>wondered why I was reading the mag a lot quicker these days :-(
>
>Another one worth considering is What Digital Camera - is also pretty good
>these days and seems to be taking off now that TDP has lost its cutting
>edge, but then again perhaps I am little too biased towards the Featured
>portfolio in the upcoming January issue <grin>

Congrats, Steve - do they still give decent prizes? I haven't looked at
WDC for the last couple of years...

-Lucrezia

--
http://www.dont-blink.net/lining_up.htm
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 8:34:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,free.uk.photographic.equipment.digital,free.uk.photography,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Digital photo for me!

!