New pc build restarts every 3 secs from initial boot

mrshizbot

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
just purchased the following new hardware to build another pc.

Mobo-x58A-ud7 gigabyte
cpu-intel i7 960
ram-12gb tri 4g patriot viper xtreme

After installing all my hardware, presses boot button and everything appeared to be fine.... but then after 3 seconds system rebooted!.......then agian.... and agian..........and repeats the same process until i kill the power.

Ive checked and triple checked all the connections and dis-and-re-connected hardware.

now ive done some searching and followed all the steps in the new pc build guide posted on this site. and spent hours trying to narrow down the source of the problem.

now im down to having a breadbored setup with only mobo ram and cpu and still the same problem and tried 2 different psu's which i know that work.

befor r i purchesed the new hardware i checked it was all compatible, which after researching again it still seems like it should.

so am i looking at a faulty cpu or mobo or is there anything else i can try?

mrshizbot

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Thanks for your reply guys.

ive narrowed down the cause of the power cyle. it only happens whenever i have the atx connected. ive tried using 4 pin and different psu's but the same thing happens even without the cpu in the socket.

mrshizbot

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
I have not been able to test the CPU or RAM as i do not have another compatible motherboard. but all my other hardware i have proved to be working. i have 2 other gigabyte motherboards which i connected my psu too, which did not have any trouble with the system to boot. i have tried ram modules in different sockets one at a time and have tried all the steps from this guide.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

after all this I have rebuilt my pc with the new hardware and hit the pwr button, and still the same problem happens .however when i unplug the atx (8pin cpu connecter) the boot problem will not happen and all components appear to start with no problems but i do not get vision to the monitor or any system beeps from the speaker.

so to me yes i think there may be an issue with the power supply to the cpu

mrshizbot

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
I agree.
I'm still not 100% convinced its faulty hardware just yet

i have spoken to the supplier which i purchased my mobo from and explained the situation, and yes they will look at it, but only for a $65 dollar fee. and if my mobo or cpu is faulty they will not replace it, but get it fixed under warranty. ITS ONLY 3 DAYS OLD! lol

I think i may be out of options, the only other option i can think of is to buy or try n borrow a better PSU and see if it helps.
so im fine to upgrade my psu from my seasonic x850. which should apparently work with the new build anyway other then that im not to sure.

any other advise would be great.

i will keep updating my progress.

mrshizbot

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
i have taken my motherboard back to the retailer which they have then inspected my motherboard and have concluded that a pin on the socket appears to be bent, which may be the cause of the fault. the tested all my other hardware and it all works fine except the mobo. they have sent it off to the manufacture to be repaired, and if it is the socket it will cost $55 AUD, they also mentioned that when they lock cpu into the socket( with the leaver) "its a bit stiff and crooked which may have caused the pin to be bent." i coulkd not however notice any pin been bent as they were showing me even with there magnifying glass but i guess they have more of an eye for it.

lso ill get my mobo back in 3 WEEKS! and then il let you guys know the outcome.

but if anyone else is having the same problem i suggest disconnecting the cpu power and trying to boot, and if the system doesnt restart have a look at the pins on the cpu socket to see if there is any differences on any pins. eg bent or different colour in the angle of light.

anyways hope this can help someone.

il update when i get my mobo back in 3 weeks. pff

start here
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

you must go though this guide first before we can help u let us know if you found ur problem or still need help after trying all the items in it. (I got in trouble for helping someone else for this with out sending them though the guide first)
we will assume you checked all these items so really go though the list

as a note any no boot on a system guys your suppose to tell them to go through this list before starting a long thread like this. I got in trouble by a mod for this guys