New post problems after gfx upgrade

promoth

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I recently upgraded my video card from a 9800GT energy efficient model to a HD 5770. I had no issues before the upgrade.

Now when I turn on my computer it will be sit there and turn the hdd led on and off. Sometimes if I let it sit it will post, other times I have to turn it off and back on again quickly and it works normally. Is this a under powered psu issue?
The 9800GT EE draws a max of 75 watts and the new 5770 should be drawing a max of 108 watts.
But I figure that before posting the video card should basically be idle at 18 watts.

I have been using this CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX for about 6 months.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

eXtreme psu calc said I will be drawing around 290 watts when gaming.
I have three hard drives, one caviar black, one caviar green and a spinpoint F3. I looked into delaying spin up but none of them support it. Any ideas?

Totempole

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

I had similar problem with my upgrade from a 9600 GT to a 4870 a while back.
I had a Gigabyte 470 watt PSU so I thought that was the problem and upgraded to
a 750Watt Aopen... Same problem.

Basically I found that If I adjusted my 4870 slightly higher or lower by a few mm, it
solved the problem. Corsair Power supplies are very good and a 5770 draws substantially less power than a 4870, so there's no reason why it could be your PSU.

promoth

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

Totempole

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
No, moving it in and and out of the slot wouldn't be a good idea. Just give the card a very slight lift or drop eg. 1mm up towards the PSU or 1mm down towards the bottom of the case. Or better still, remove the card completely and re-seat it back into the motherboard.
You could also try dusting out your PCI-E Slot with a fine-bristle paint brush.

As for the LED blinking, I'm not sure. I know the 4870 has 4x Diagnostic LEDs at the back, but I don't think the 5770 has them.

The only other thing I can think of is, have you tried the card in another machine?
Also, I'm sure it's probably still under warranty, so why don't you take it back to the
store you bought it and ask them to test it for you?

Good Luck!