Phenom II X6 1055T vs Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

David92680

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
I am looking to purchase a new machine because my current machine died on me. I do a lot of photoshop, video editing and AutoCAD work and hardly play any game. I want a really fast machine that has a SATA raid, a couple PCI slots and will work with my ATi x1950 crossfire video card.

I am stuck on what chip I should go with. Do I get a x4 chip with a faster speed or should I get x6 that is slower but able to multi task better. From what I have read online AutoCAD only uses 50% of a multi core setup. The other thing is that this machine needs to last for a couple of years.

I need some help deciding what direction I should go in. The motherboard I am looking at is the GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3

David92680

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
I have not done any over clocking in over 10 years. would you recommend any changes to the components that I have chosen for my new machine. The memory I was looking at is the CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB). What do you think? Can I over clock with the stock heat sink or do I need to upgrade to something better?

You can likely go from 2.8Ghz to 3.4Ghz with the stock cooler.
But I think you (and your CPU) would both benefit with an aftermarket CPU cooling solution. Just to keep the CPU nice and cool.
I've seen more than a few reports of reaching 3.6Ghz without need to increase CPU voltages.

What have you picked out for a case? We can find you a good CPU cooler to go with the other parts.
You have a link to the Corsair XMS3 ram?

x264.png

premiere.png

The reviews of GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 show its good at Phenom X6 overclocking.
It has a feature called EasyTune 5 that uses motherboard utility software for mild overclocking if you want to get started doing it that way.
The 'old school' BIOS tweaking (as explained the Xbit OC'ing guide will get you the best possible performance from OC'ing.

You case is big enough for one of the big 120mm fan CPU coolers. Here are a selection:
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 / Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler / COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
I'll get you some reviews of those coolers to take a look at.

Here is a picture of the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 sitting on a GIGABYTE 890GX motherboard
test_system.jpg

From the Phenom II X6 1090T and 1055T Six-Core Processor Review @ Legit Reviews

David92680

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Thanks for helping me pick out the right chip for me along with finding me the great deal on a better set of memory. I think what I might do is stick with the stock heat sink for a little bit and then order the Coolermaster Hyper 212 from Amazon because its half the price then the one new egg has.