Boot WinXP from USB HD

February 20, 2005 9:42:54 AM

I have a notebook with the option to boot from USB.
I have a USB HD with an already installed and working version of WinXP
(it works if I ust the HD internally).

If I just use this HD connected to the USB port (and no internal HD
installed), and try to boot from it, I get the message "MBR not
found".

How can I configure the OS to boot from USB?

How can I install Windows to work from the USB HD?

Thanks if anyone can help me.

More about : boot winxp usb

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 4:36:10 PM

Check your BIOS for "Boot device" option or similar - Boot order, Storage
devices etc. In my BIOS, I can set most anything (HDD, DVDRW, USB Drives) to
function as a boot drive.
Michael

"Arcane" <yoass@arcor.de> wrote in message
>I have a notebook with the option to boot from USB.
> I have a USB HD with an already installed and working version of WinXP
> (it works if I ust the HD internally).
>
> If I just use this HD connected to the USB port (and no internal HD
> installed), and try to boot from it, I get the message "MBR not
> found".
>
> How can I configure the OS to boot from USB?
>
> How can I install Windows to work from the USB HD?
>
> Thanks if anyone can help me.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 10:09:16 AM

Of course I have set my Bios to boot from USB!
But after recognizing the USB HD, I get the message MBR not found!
it seems more like the Primary Partition on the USB HD is not recognized...

"Phillips" <afn18721@ufl.edu> wrote in message news:<esde2r3FFHA.3732@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> Check your BIOS for "Boot device" option or similar - Boot order, Storage
> devices etc. In my BIOS, I can set most anything (HDD, DVDRW, USB Drives) to
> function as a boot drive.
> Michael
>
> "Arcane" <yoass@arcor.de> wrote in message
> >I have a notebook with the option to boot from USB.
> > I have a USB HD with an already installed and working version of WinXP
> > (it works if I ust the HD internally).
> >
> > If I just use this HD connected to the USB port (and no internal HD
> > installed), and try to boot from it, I get the message "MBR not
> > found".
> >
> > How can I configure the OS to boot from USB?
> >
> > How can I install Windows to work from the USB HD?
> >
> > Thanks if anyone can help me.
February 25, 2005 12:42:55 AM

I believe your USB HD don't have the Master Boot Record (MBR) created for
your other computer. You may need to just reinstall XP on your USB HD for
the PC that you can't boot.

One more question can you boot your other PC using this HD?

> Of course I have set my Bios to boot from USB!
> But after recognizing the USB HD, I get the message MBR not found!
> it seems more like the Primary Partition on the USB HD is not
> recognized...
>

> "Phillips" <afn18721@ufl.edu> wrote in message
>> Check your BIOS for "Boot device" option or similar - Boot order, Storage
>> devices etc. In my BIOS, I can set most anything (HDD, DVDRW, USB Drives)
>> function as a boot drive.
>> Michael
>>
>> "Arcane" <yoass@arcor.de> wrote in message
>> >I have a notebook with the option to boot from USB.
>> > I have a USB HD with an already installed and working version of WinXP
>> > (it works if I ust the HD internally).
>> >
>> > If I just use this HD connected to the USB port (and no internal HD
>> > installed), and try to boot from it, I get the message "MBR not
>> > found".
>> >
>> > How can I configure the OS to boot from USB?
>> >
>> > How can I install Windows to work from the USB HD?
>> >
>> > Thanks if anyone can help me.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 9:13:19 PM

I don't believe XP supports booting from external hard drives ... ie,
you would need to find the proper boot.ini dev entries for the
external drive and afaik none exist ... BUT, that said, I think I
heard of a 3rd party who solved the problem but I can't find that info
now.

!