Sign in with
Your question

No center channel or subwoofer sound from Realtek HD Audio

Last response: in Components
August 15, 2010 8:33:28 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to set up 5.1 audio in my home theater, but I'm having some trouble.

I'm using the onboard Realtek HD Audio on my Asus M3N78-EM motherboard and a Logitech G51 5.1 surround sound speaker system. The problem is that I don't hear any sound from the center channel or subwoofer when I set the output to 5.1 surround in the Realtek HD Audio Manager.

I've verified that these speakers do work by plugging them into the left and right speaker outputs, and I hear sound from them when the system is set to other output settings in my video player software (2.1, etc.).

However, it might be telling that when I click on the speaker icons to play a test sound:

http://skitch.com/troywarr/d1dpd/realtek-hd-audio

I don't hear anything. I do hear the test sound from the front and rear channel speaker pairs. This suggests to me that, for one reason or another, the Realtek software/driver either isn't recognizing the center channel and subwoofer, or maybe isn't even trying to use them.

I've done all that I can to troubleshoot this, but I'm not that knowledgeable about audio setup, nor the Realtek HD Audio Manager software. I've toggled every setting that I can find, cycled through the different Matrix modes on the Logitech controller pod, and tried fiddling with the audio settings in the two video players that I use (VLC Media Player and ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre).

Can anyone offer any guidance or ideas? Thanks in advance for any help!
August 18, 2010 7:00:38 PM

try swapping the inputs of sub and teh centre, the other way around, some dude was mentioning about how vista and se7en got it wrong way round of something. that is asseuming your using vista or se7en
m
l
November 18, 2010 10:59:47 AM

I've had a similar problem to which the (half)solution was something like that too. In order to get any sound out of my logitech 5.1, I had to switch two of the colored cables, and change the input from side to front speakers in realtek's sound manager.

Currently, when I do the test for the speakers, only the front and center/sub speakers make a sound and only the front when 'matrix' is on. However, when playing music or watching any video, its full working surround. The only issue I'm having is the lack of almost all sound in COD Black Ops, and just the dialogue in some other games.
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2013 1:22:37 PM

Bister Mungle said:
Hello,

I'm trying to set up 5.1 audio in my home theater, but I'm having some trouble.

I'm using the onboard Realtek HD Audio on my Asus M3N78-EM motherboard and a Logitech G51 5.1 surround sound speaker system. The problem is that I don't hear any sound from the center channel or subwoofer when I set the output to 5.1 surround in the Realtek HD Audio Manager.

I've verified that these speakers do work by plugging them into the left and right speaker outputs, and I hear sound from them when the system is set to other output settings in my video player software (2.1, etc.).

However, it might be telling that when I click on the speaker icons to play a test sound:

http://skitch.com/troywarr/d1dpd/realtek-hd-audio

I don't hear anything. I do hear the test sound from the front and rear channel speaker pairs. This suggests to me that, for one reason or another, the Realtek software/driver either isn't recognizing the center channel and subwoofer, or maybe isn't even trying to use them.

I've done all that I can to troubleshoot this, but I'm not that knowledgeable about audio setup, nor the Realtek HD Audio Manager software. I've toggled every setting that I can find, cycled through the different Matrix modes on the Logitech controller pod, and tried fiddling with the audio settings in the two video players that I use (VLC Media Player and ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre).

Can anyone offer any guidance or ideas? Thanks in advance for any help!

Set the settings to this in VLC Media Player while having your speaker system set to 5.1
http://i.imgur.com/Xs6dILY.png
m
l
February 16, 2013 1:34:03 PM

i had same problem -- dug out my old audigy card -- found new win7 64 bit drivers --- installed and all
works... subwoof is back and better sounding than realtek
m
l
April 4, 2013 11:39:05 AM

I have a problem with my RealTek 5.1 card.
Central speaker and subwoofer not work because Windows automatically configure audio settings, and problem was in that, Windows 7 and 8 too, my center speaker and subwoofer identifies as Microphone, and all I need to do is to pull pink (in my case) jack out and put it back.
After that, Windows ask me what is that (what I pushed in) and I click on Center and Subfoower check box and press OK.
m
l
July 23, 2013 8:51:32 AM

Predrag Vuksanovic said:
I have a problem with my RealTek 5.1 card.
Central speaker and subwoofer not work because Windows automatically configure audio settings, and problem was in that, Windows 7 and 8 too, my center speaker and subwoofer identifies as Microphone, and all I need to do is to pull pink (in my case) jack out and put it back.
After that, Windows ask me what is that (what I pushed in) and I click on Center and Subfoower check box and press OK.

thank you but in my case it didn't asked wich one it is so i put it instead in the orange jack and it worked :D 
m
l
!