Sign in with
Your question

Seagate 7200.9 Firmware

Last response: in Storage
August 8, 2012 2:30:44 PM

I own two ST3120213AS drives in a RAID 0 setup. I want to know if there is a way to upgrade the firmware. I've searched everywhere but can't find downloads or really any information regaurding the drive. :fou: 

here is a picture of my drive (I bought on ebay)
http://tinyurl.com/99vb4sl

The PCB is 7200.9, if I can find firmware for a different hard drive, as long as the PCB is the same the firmware will work with my drive, correct?...
One last question, maybe it's a really dumb one, but my FW right now is 3.AHL ... the letters confuse me, do they work just like numbers? for instance would a (hypothetical) 3.AIL be more up to date?... I see lots of 3.AAD and 3.AAJ... but if the letters were numbers (A=1, B=2 C=3 etc.) then both 3.AAD and 3.AAJ would be older than my current 3.AHL...

ugh... why didn't they just use numbers?

More about : seagate 7200 firmware

a b G Storage
August 9, 2012 1:10:47 AM

What are you trying to accomplish by updating firmware?
m
l
a c 87 G Storage
August 9, 2012 1:22:09 AM

The firmware on traditional hard drives rarely ever needs to be upgraded.
m
l
Related resources
August 9, 2012 2:20:44 PM

Really? I was under the impression that a good HDD firmware update could significantly increase performance. Unlocking it's "true" potential so to speak. BTW: I just got off a chat message with seagate support, apparently this particular drive is an OEM drive, and therefor they have NO firmware updates.

A couple thoughts of how to get around this:
1. Find a VERY similar model that is NOT OEM, ask for the firmware updates on seagate support, cross your fingers and install
2. Perhaps the serial number that corresponds with THIS hard drive was OEM, but others of the same model number are NOT OEM... in other words if I can aquire a "Non OEM serial number" from say google image search or an ebay posting and provide it to seagate support, they would provide me the firmware update............. does that make sense? <----- or are all HDDs of the same model number the same

.................... but from the sound of my first responses to this thread...
is it even worth it?... could it jack up my drive? <--- or would the .exe realize the firmware was not compatible if it wasn't...

thanks for any input
m
l
a c 87 G Storage
August 9, 2012 6:36:42 PM

The only time firmware updates improve performance are on Hybrid-HDDs, SSDs, and storage controllers. The firmware on these devices is far more complex than it is on traditional platter drives.

The only time a platter-only drive will require a firmware update is if there's a critical bug which affects its operation. Examples would be SMART reporting and power management. Firmware updates are almost never released for purely performance reasons.

Drive series often undergo minor physical revisions which result in small changes to the board layout and ASIC design. These revisions may be accompanied by a revision to the firmware to suit the changes but that does not mean that the firmware for the new revision can be loaded onto the older drive and even if it could, it would not result in any improvement.
m
l
August 9, 2012 6:53:04 PM

I'm currently running Spinrite for maintenence, so I can't show u the screenshot, but I'm trying to correct a certain DROP in the read/write performance on the drive...

When running a benchmark in Hddtune, it has sharp drops in it's initial spin up, and sometimes in the middle where it drops to ~4MB/s really slow... then it sharply goes back.... sometimes about 5 second intervals... does this sound like a firmware problem?
m
l
August 9, 2012 6:53:54 PM

one more thing... is there ANY way other than simple things like defragging that can improve performance?................. ultimately that is what I am trying to do... literally improve the read/write speed of said hard drive
m
l
a c 87 G Storage
August 9, 2012 9:11:39 PM

Sharp drops in performance are normal for most HDDs when they encounter particular datasets. It depends on how the data is physically arranged and how fragmented the disk is.
m
l
August 10, 2012 6:22:59 AM

Partial datasets? :o  I don't know what that means... Is it something a certain software would remedy?
thanks
m
l
a c 87 G Storage
August 10, 2012 1:47:29 PM

cheddar said:
Partial datasets? :o  I don't know what that means... Is it something a certain software would remedy?
thanks

particular datasets, not partial. It happens when the data is aligned in a such a way that it gets written in such a way that the head has to move around a lot, particularly when there are multiple platters.
m
l
August 13, 2012 6:19:06 PM

ok, my bad......................... soooooo how do I fix it?
m
l
a c 87 G Storage
August 13, 2012 11:42:52 PM

In order to fix something it must first be broken. Try running other disk benchmarks such as Sandra and Atto to see if you get the same results. Some drops in data throughput are expected.
m
l
!