Do PCIe motherboards require mandatory PCIe graphics cards to run?

dragonfruit

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Do PCI express x16 motherboards require mandatory PCIe graphics card to run?

I am trying to run Celeron D 3.20 GHz on MS-7187 ver. 3.C motherboard ( http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/pc/t9207.htm )
with only PCI graphics card, as I have no PCIe graphics card.

The motherboard is from Medion PC model: PC MT7 MED MT 427G

When I try to turn it on the fan on CPU spins for a second or two and then stops, but when I press the power button again it behaves differently: the fan spins fast then slows down and spins all the time slowly, I can also hear a floppy drive seek sound, so it seems to be working, but the monitor screen is black - it seems that there is no signal coming out of the PCI graphics card. I tried two of them already.

So what is the problem? Is the CPU or the motherboard faulty or PCI graphics cards or simply PCIe motherboards have to have PCIe graphics card installed in order to run at all?

BTW, does anyone know if this motherboard can support 2TB hard drives? The latest motherboard BIOS update on Medions webpage is ver. 4.03 from 18.07.2006.

Many thanks for your replies and suggestions.

It should work with PCI GPU. If you tried two cards already then possibly bad motherboard. Have you tried resetting BIOS?
It would be an OS question if the drive you are talking about runs on SATA 150 (original) controller.