Sign in with
Your question

HDD makes noise

Last response: in Storage
August 8, 2012 3:22:09 PM

Hi, I recently bought new motherboard and faster CPU ,now my HDD makes noise like on heavy search(when HHD works hard) no matter what I'm doing,playing games or just clicking on movie it makes that noise and I notice that even in games I started to get some lag because HDD can't keep up with the rest of the system . Actually my HDD pretty old ,maybe 5years -samsung hd403lj- but it worked perfectly before I bought faster CPU . Any tips or I need to buy a new one ? I did disk cleanup, disk defragmentation maybe 3 times , registry is scanned and fixed .

More about : hdd makes noise

a c 380 G Storage
August 8, 2012 3:33:29 PM

You can run chkdsk c: /f on the drive. Get a copy of seatools from seagate's web site. It should work on your drive. Also get a copy of HDTune, smartfan, or any program that can read the drive's SMART status.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
August 8, 2012 3:54:46 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
You can run chkdsk c: /f on the drive. Get a copy of seatools from seagate's web site. It should work on your drive. Also get a copy of HDTune, smartfan, or any program that can read the drive's SMART status.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
HDD passes every SeaTools test ,I don't know where's the problem
Related resources
a c 380 G Storage
August 8, 2012 5:15:44 PM

Are these online games? Perhaps the lag is on the network and not due to your drive. Does hdtune or hdtach show normal transfer rates? Did the chkdsk show any problems? it should have logged it in the event viewer. Other than that, not sure what the problem can be.
August 8, 2012 5:54:40 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Are these online games? Perhaps the lag is on the network and not due to your drive. Does hdtune or hdtach show normal transfer rates? Did the chkdsk show any problems? it should have logged it in the event viewer. Other than that, not sure what the problem can be.
no problems detected ,games which I'm playing are offline ,most of them ,actually it doesn't matter this noise is when PC demands more resources,more graphically demanding games lags more even if frames per seconds are 50-60 HDD then makes that strange noise ,it's same crackle like when you using "search" in windows and HDD tries to find a file
August 8, 2012 6:15:20 PM

You realize that a hard drive is made up of moving parts? So in order for it to work those parts need to move? And when parts move they tend to make noise?

5 years is a bit old you might want to replace it. If you dont want it making noise Invest in a nice ssd.
a b à CPUs
a b G Storage
August 8, 2012 6:23:06 PM

Check your power saving settings to see when/if the HDD is turned off. I think it defaults to 30 min. See if it needs to be defragged as well.
!