New multithreading Build

t0x1n

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Hi, I'm looking to buy a computer for multitasking some pretty heavy stuff like Programming/compiling (Visual Studio 2010), running virtual machines, opening a LOT of tabs in browsers where some may have flash/java/etc and generally running quite a few programs and processes in parallel.

Occasionally I'd also like to be able to play games decently (no need for high resolutions or crazy filters).

Lastly I would like it to be as future proof as possible. Beyond the build lasting for as long as possible, I would like the eventual upgrade to be as easy as possible. For me that means not having to switch the mobo and/or case but rather simply stick in a new HD/GPU/RAM (or even CPU, say i9). Here's what I currently have in mind:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (D0) 2.66Ghz 8MB Cache OEM
MotherBoard: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Case: Coolermaster CM 690 Black
Power Supply: Seasonic PSU 520W Active PFC 80+ Retail
Memory: A-Data 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24
Desktop HDD: Samsung 1TB Sata II 32MB SpinPoint F3
Video Card: Sapphire 5750 512MB GDDR5 HDMI
Optical Drive: SONY NEC DVDRW DVR x 24 SATA AD7240S BLACK

I don't think specifying a budget would do much good since I'm not from the US/Europe and the prices are all different (not to mention the availability). However, I mostly exceed my budget as it is, so an increase to the cost of the above would not be desirable.

Any Help would be most welcome,
Thanks !

Solution
For those price differences i would stick with the A-Data RAM and the 920, memory tends not to be a major bottleneck, even doubling memory bandwidth would only increase performance by 20-30% so an additional $60 or $100 for slightly faster memory isnt worth it. Given your usage you might find better performance from more RAM rather than faster ram so keep that in mind as an upgrade option.

As for the 920, the 930 certainly isnt worth an additional $40, it will OC quite well so if you are considering OCing you might want to spend that additional $40 on a better cooler rather than the better processor.
It looks like a very well picked out build, nice job!

Only change i would suggest, get an i7 930 if you can, in the US the 930 has almost totally replaced the 920 for the same price and gives you a higher multiplier to work with which can help if you decide to OC.

t0x1n

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Thanks, I'll check it out ! Does the 930 have any other advantages besides OC though?

My only other dilemma pertains to the GPU, I can get a Sapphire HD5770 1GB instead of the Sapphire HD5750 512MB for 50$ more... probably not worth it right ?

The 930 is a whopping 133MHz faster, not too significant and if its going to cost you significantly more i would stick with the 920.

A 5770 would perform better in gaming tasks, but the 5750 will still do rather well at resolutions below 1920x1200. I have a 4850 which does admirably at 1920x1080, you say you dont really care about maxing stuff out so upgrading to a 5770 for another 50 isnt really worth it.

t0x1n

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

Well it's 40$ more and I can always simply buy a better processor (say i9) in a couple of years if decide the CPU is my bottleneck (which I suspcect would take quite some time.) Also it's not like the 920 can't be overclocked, right ? I've seen some guides around

@somebody_007
That ram is also pretty slow dominators, G.skills or mushkins would be faster. But ram doesn't affect real world performance a lot.

It is my understanding that latencies are considerably more important than frequency. My upgrade options are:
Corsair 6GB Kit (3x2GB) DDR3-1600Mhz TR3X6G1600C8 C8-8-8-24 - 60$ more
OR
Corsair 6GB Kit (3x2GB) DDR3-1600Mhz TR3X6G1600C7D Dominator CL7-7-7-20 - 100$ more

And like you said I don't think the real world benefit is worth the money...

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
frequency divided by latency will give you a number which can be compared.

In conclusion the ones you mentioned really are pretty slow compared to the dominators. The thing is about dominators they are very conservativly clocked. If you OC them they'll be worth the money if not you're better of going with G.skills or mushkins.

If you can get your hands on faster memory for a reasonable price go for it otherwise those you picked will do.

For those price differences i would stick with the A-Data RAM and the 920, memory tends not to be a major bottleneck, even doubling memory bandwidth would only increase performance by 20-30% so an additional $60 or $100 for slightly faster memory isnt worth it. Given your usage you might find better performance from more RAM rather than faster ram so keep that in mind as an upgrade option.

As for the 920, the 930 certainly isnt worth an additional $40, it will OC quite well so if you are considering OCing you might want to spend that additional $40 on a better cooler rather than the better processor.

Solution

t0x1n

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Thank you both for your excellent help
I regret only one best answer can be chosen, as I would gladly mark both of your answers as such.

Lastly I would like to query regarding an LCD monitor - I was thinking about the Dell 2209WA.
From what I read it should be a no brainer...

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
You're welcome:D

those ultrasharps are very expensive( and very good from what I've heard). I don't if they are worth it though my 200dollar benq satisfies my just fine. I don't see how it can be improved.

I'm more of an audiophile than a screenophile(or whatever that is called lol). And I would spend in speakers rather than a screen. Which is the case with me as my screens are around one fourth of the value of my sound system.

What you spend on is your choice really.

t0x1n

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

Very true. I already have some kick-ass speakers (Logitech Z-2300) so I'm willing to spend a little more for a quality display...

t0x1n

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

Good point. The cheapest store for this monitor happens to be in my city, so no problem there ! :)

Thank you both again for your help

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Yeah true seeing a lineup of monitors really makes the better ones stand out. Although I think if you've chosen you can still order online I have never had shipping damage although I could just be lucky.

btw Nice quote hunter.