Sign in with
Your question

Seagate HDD

Last response: in Storage
a c 351 G Storage
August 8, 2012 4:42:42 PM

Segate -12 drives are NOT my drive of choice i terms of reliability.
Only HDDs I currently recommend are the WD black drives and the Samsung F3 drives.
a b G Storage
August 8, 2012 4:58:57 PM

Hmmm, iirc, the .10 drives were the bad ones. I've only used a few of the .12 ones, and none have failed, although the oldest one is only a couple years old.

Edit: I've got just one WD Black, also in [light] service for a couple years (a SSD is the primary drive in that system, the WD is its backup, and most data is on a RAID1 of 2TB Seagate LP drives). It's fast, but might be the loudest drive I've owned.
I've got some Samsung F3 drives too, in service 2-3 years without incident.
Related resources
August 8, 2012 5:07:27 PM

What's the latest with SSD? Are they reliable enough to run OS and programmes? Also I will need a HDD/SSD to run numerical analysis which would likely mean lots of overwrites, should I avoid SSD in this situation and stick with HDD for that application?

Also, which SDD types should we be aiming for these days?

Thanks
a b G Storage
August 8, 2012 5:11:22 PM

I've had bad experiences with Sandforce drives, having 2/4 new ones fail within weeks or months of first use (although another two are still going strong). I could get data off one of them, but not the other. My primary SSD is a Samsung 830.
If you get one, I'd suggest 128GB as a minimum. As described above, I back up my SSD on a weekly schedule to a magnetic HDD.
a c 351 G Storage
August 8, 2012 5:12:04 PM

SSDs are OK for the OS + program drives
I have 13 SSD (Various Brands) with NO failures and My Oldest one dates althe way back to Intel G1.

Use the HDD to place the files that you want to work on.

Although you can not Buy from Newegg, you can get a idea of which drives are more Probmatic (both HDD & SSDs).

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategor...
a b G Storage
August 8, 2012 5:12:14 PM

WD Green drives are fine for data, but will be dreadfully slow as OS drives, and you wouldn't want your pagefile on one.
August 8, 2012 5:18:58 PM

Onus said:
WD Green drives are fine for data, but will be dreadfully slow as OS drives, and you wouldn't want your pagefile on one.

Thanks for the tip :) 
a c 105 G Storage
August 8, 2012 5:24:33 PM

The 7200.10's and 7200.12's were fine....the 7200.11's had an issue

I have dozens of 7200.10's from 2006 and 2007 doing heavy duty in NAS's.

However, I'm not too happy with Seagate's recent decision in light of pricing pressures to drop the warranty to 1 year. The Seagate XT's are the drives I use most for performance.....

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

But otherwise buy the WD Black or Soimnpoint F3
August 8, 2012 5:39:40 PM

Also, should I be concerned that this F3 has 32mb cache rather than 64mb? Thanks.
a c 351 G Storage
August 8, 2012 5:50:28 PM

The F3 has very good performance, ignore the difference in cache - ONLY effects burst mode.

Yes that is the correct Samsung F3 drive.

I do NOT recommend WD green or Blue drives as they seem to have POOR reliability compared to the Blacks - You get what you pay for.
Also Do NOT lete the SATA II vs SATE III label on HDDs fooly - This is just a marketing tool as a SATA III HDD does NOT perform any faster on SATA III than on SATA II - Again the ONLY effect is on Burst mode, NOT the sustained troughput.
a b G Storage
August 8, 2012 5:55:48 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
The 7200.10's and 7200.12's were fine....the 7200.11's had an issue

Ok yes, that was it; you and RC are right. Those were the ones I never bought; I did have a couple of the .10's which never had a problem.

I never had a WD Green; the "green" drives I bought (just before the floods!) are 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda LP. They've been in service for over a year now in that RAID with no hiccups. I've got a few WD Blue that have been ok too, although one of those is the one I snapped the SATA connector off of when I stepped on the cable. I've been meaning to solder a SATA cable onto it, but I'm still looking for that round "Tuit."
August 8, 2012 11:36:37 PM

Thanks everyone, I am so glad I posted here. I went ahead with the Samsung SpinPoint F3 from buyer.

http://www.ebuyer.com/173804-samsung-1tb-spinpoint-f3-i...

They have very good reviews and watching the stock go down literally with the minutes that pass shows how popular they are. I look forward to adding it to my new build.

Thanks again.

I might hold out for now on the SSD and see how I get alone with the Samsung HDD?
!