First Look:Tomb Raider Legend

Last response: in Video Games
March 30, 2005 10:29:57 AM

Found these on the IGN boards.

Scanned pics of Tomb raider Legend from the May issue of PSM

http://img177.exs.cx/img177/2388/18uj.jpg
http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3884/20gu.jpg
http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3723/33tq1.jpg

Tombraider.com is also in the process of being updated.

The wait is nearly over!

TT

More about : tomb raider legend

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 11:00:15 AM

"TigerTiger" <destrux.remove.this@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Found these on the IGN boards.
>
> Scanned pics of Tomb raider Legend from the May issue of PSM
>
> http://img177.exs.cx/img177/2388/18uj.jpg
> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3884/20gu.jpg
> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3723/33tq1.jpg
>
> Tombraider.com is also in the process of being updated.
>
> The wait is nearly over!
>
> TT

hmmm I see 2 different types of grenades(concussion & smoke/teargas).
changing the lunchbox(no longer bottomless) well some folks will like that.
rex
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 12:51:30 PM

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from TigerTiger was heard, at
about 03/30/2005 01:29 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> Found these on the IGN boards.
>
> Scanned pics of Tomb raider Legend from the May issue of PSM
>
> http://img177.exs.cx/img177/2388/18uj.jpg
> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3884/20gu.jpg
> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3723/33tq1.jpg
>
> Tombraider.com is also in the process of being updated.
>
> The wait is nearly over!
>
> TT

Thank you! Those images look really good. Lara's got a *great* a...
oops ... forgot ... family oriented ... family oriented ... ;)

I definitely agree with fullmetalpancake and AmericanPsycho, but
Lord_Gradient can take his "easier" version of the game and shove it up
his a... ugh ... *family* oriented ... *family* oriented ... :D

Lookin like bringing Toby back was a *good* thing!

P.S. Actually using the function keys for inventory is not nearly as bad
as it may seem, in fact, it works pretty well. I play NOLF which calls
for much more frequent weapons changes, but they messed up NOLF2 by
*going* to a menu system. As long as they are assignable by the user
.... that's the key.
---
PW
March 30, 2005 1:02:06 PM

There I was, minding my own business, when Rex Reynolds said...

> "TigerTiger" <destrux.remove.this@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Found these on the IGN boards.
>>
>> Scanned pics of Tomb raider Legend from the May issue of PSM
>>
>> http://img177.exs.cx/img177/2388/18uj.jpg
>> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3884/20gu.jpg
>> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3723/33tq1.jpg
>>
>> Tombraider.com is also in the process of being updated.
>>
>> The wait is nearly over!
>>
>> TT
>>
> hmmm I see 2 different types of grenades(concussion & smoke/teargas).
> changing the lunchbox(no longer bottomless) well some folks will like
> that. rex

Theres a trade off, mind....Looking at those pages (Thanks TT!) theres talk
of getting rid of the inventory system. That might make things tricky if
theres gonna be loads of keys to remember to combine guns and sights and
pick ammunition types and what not. However...a hot key for the binoculars
would be pretty useful :-)

Duncan
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 2:20:36 AM

Thanks, TT, for the scans. The game looks like it's worth the (longer) wait!

And yah, more hot keys will be good but I still prefer an inventory - so
that I have a choice to choose which.

WY

"Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 2dmg0$oo5$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> There I was, minding my own business, when Rex Reynolds said...
>
>> "TigerTiger" <destrux.remove.this@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Found these on the IGN boards.
>>>
>>> Scanned pics of Tomb raider Legend from the May issue of PSM
>>>
>>> http://img177.exs.cx/img177/2388/18uj.jpg
>>> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3884/20gu.jpg
>>> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3723/33tq1.jpg
>>>
>>> Tombraider.com is also in the process of being updated.
>>>
>>> The wait is nearly over!
>>>
>>> TT
>>>
>> hmmm I see 2 different types of grenades(concussion & smoke/teargas).
>> changing the lunchbox(no longer bottomless) well some folks will like
>> that. rex
>
> Theres a trade off, mind....Looking at those pages (Thanks TT!) theres
> talk
> of getting rid of the inventory system. That might make things tricky if
> theres gonna be loads of keys to remember to combine guns and sights and
> pick ammunition types and what not. However...a hot key for the binoculars
> would be pretty useful :-)
>
> Duncan

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 4:42:46 AM

"TigerTiger" <destrux.remove.this@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Found these on the IGN boards.
>
> Scanned pics of Tomb raider Legend from the May issue of PSM
>
> http://img177.exs.cx/img177/2388/18uj.jpg
> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3884/20gu.jpg
> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3723/33tq1.jpg
>
> Tombraider.com is also in the process of being updated.
>
> The wait is nearly over!
>
> TT

Thanks for the Pics, I like Lara's newer mor real less mean looking facial
features. I prefer an inventory, and happen to like the bottomless
backpack. One thing I didn't like about what the article said, 'more
split-second timing on jumps' I'm just not that good, I play for the fun
that the first 1-4 TR's had. Now if you want to make the timeing of jumps
and such in the hard or extra hard options (naturely easy and normal would
be good to have for those klutzes like me) and not stick it to those not
able to kick butt with their eyes closed. I didn't mind running around
Paris half as much as I hated some of the Hall of Seasons stuff (did I get
that right? Hall of Seasons?). ^_^

Inu-Yasha
Feh!!
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 5:12:41 AM

"Inu-Yasha" <tjardine@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> "TigerTiger" <destrux.remove.this@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Found these on the IGN boards.
>>
>> Scanned pics of Tomb raider Legend from the May issue of PSM
>>
>> http://img177.exs.cx/img177/2388/18uj.jpg
>> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3884/20gu.jpg
>> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3723/33tq1.jpg
>>
>> Tombraider.com is also in the process of being updated.
>>
>> The wait is nearly over!
>>
>> TT
>>
> Thanks for the Pics, I like Lara's newer mor real less mean looking
> facial features. I prefer an inventory, and happen to like the
> bottomless backpack. One thing I didn't like about what the article
> said, 'more split-second timing on jumps' I'm just not that good, I
> play for the fun that the first 1-4 TR's had. Now if you want to
> make the timeing of jumps and such in the hard or extra hard options
> (naturely easy and normal would be good to have for those klutzes
> like me) and not stick it to those not able to kick butt with their
> eyes closed. I didn't mind running around Paris half as much as I
> hated some of the Hall of Seasons stuff (did I get that right? Hall
> of Seasons?). ^_^
> Inu-Yasha
> Feh!!

Honestly, I haven't gotten OUT of the Hall of Seasons yet :)
McG.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:08:28 AM

news:D 8I2e.39$Xp.21@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> "Inu-Yasha" <tjardine@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> "TigerTiger" <destrux.remove.this@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Found these on the IGN boards.
>>>
>>> Scanned pics of Tomb raider Legend from the May issue of PSM
>>>
>>> http://img177.exs.cx/img177/2388/18uj.jpg
>>> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3884/20gu.jpg
>>> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3723/33tq1.jpg
>>>
>>> Tombraider.com is also in the process of being updated.
>>>
>>> The wait is nearly over!
>>>
>>> TT
>>>
>> Thanks for the Pics, I like Lara's newer mor real less mean looking
>> facial features. I prefer an inventory, and happen to like the
>> bottomless backpack. One thing I didn't like about what the article
>> said, 'more split-second timing on jumps' I'm just not that good, I
>> play for the fun that the first 1-4 TR's had. Now if you want to
>> make the timeing of jumps and such in the hard or extra hard options
>> (naturely easy and normal would be good to have for those klutzes
>> like me) and not stick it to those not able to kick butt with their
>> eyes closed. I didn't mind running around Paris half as much as I
>> hated some of the Hall of Seasons stuff (did I get that right? Hall
>> of Seasons?). ^_^
>> Inu-Yasha
>> Feh!!
>
> Honestly, I haven't gotten OUT of the Hall of Seasons yet :)
> McG.

Heh, I only got out of it using Pizzadocs cheat, and the saves that were
furnished by one of the TR fans, (I am ashamed to admit I can't remember his
name), even with the console turned on, if you don't make the jumps right in
that one room with the folling support pillars, you get to run around all
day on the bottom in miniature size. ^_^

Inu-Yasha
Feh!!
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 2:38:21 PM

TigerTiger wrote:

> Found these on the IGN boards.
>
> Scanned pics of Tomb raider Legend from the May issue of PSM
>
> http://img177.exs.cx/img177/2388/18uj.jpg
> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3884/20gu.jpg
> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3723/33tq1.jpg
>
> Tombraider.com is also in the process of being updated.
>
> The wait is nearly over!
>
> TT

Thanks for the advanced look.

I have to say, I'm not totally happy with the new Lara. For
one thing, her chin is too pointed. It makes her not quite
look like Lara... a Croft relative perhaps. And Lara is
supposed to be athletic, her legs shouldn't be so thin. I
think it would have been a good idea to go back to the original
Lara on the TR 1 box cover and do a high-res, high poly count,
updated version of that model.

And I wonder who'll do the voice... It wouldn't kill them to
get Judith Gibbons back. :)

-- G
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 8:12:47 PM

TigerTiger wrote:
> Found these on the IGN boards.
>
> Scanned pics of Tomb raider Legend from the May issue of PSM
>
> http://img177.exs.cx/img177/2388/18uj.jpg
> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3884/20gu.jpg
> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3723/33tq1.jpg
>
> Tombraider.com is also in the process of being updated.
>
> The wait is nearly over!
>
> TT

Okay, Mr. Gard, I think I can live with the new image of Lara. Did ya
have to put her in a training bra, though? It's not Lara unless
there's some cleavage showing (not too much, just a little).

My one request is that you don't change story arcs in mid-stream.
That'll make things even worse, story-wise. Stay with the Nephilim
arc, but make it better.

The only problem was the story wasn't detailed enough. It was
contrived, more or less. The layout also looked way too linear, for
the most part. Yeah, sure, she had some choices, but it wasn't enough
to get rid of that linear feel.

AND, FOR GOD'S SAKES, IMPROVE THE DAMN CONTROL SYSTEM!!! I sure as
hell don't go running headlong into a man with a gun if I can help it!
Track it, maybe, but I'm not that suicidal! And I sure as hell don't
hesitate to decide if I want to turn or just move sideways. Better
response time between key-presses would be a big boost. If I press it,
it should initiate the action immediately. And, last time I checked, I
can go from standing to running instantaneously. Why the hell does
Lara have to walk before she can run?? THAT AIN'T REALITY!!!

Well, we'll see what happens.
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 3:13:14 PM

Paul E Kiefer Jr wrote:

> TigerTiger wrote:
> > Found these on the IGN boards.
> >
> > Scanned pics of Tomb raider Legend from the May issue of PSM
> >
> > http://img177.exs.cx/img177/2388/18uj.jpg
> > http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3884/20gu.jpg
> > http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3723/33tq1.jpg
> >
> > Tombraider.com is also in the process of being updated.
> >
> > The wait is nearly over!
> >
> > TT
>
> Okay, Mr. Gard, I think I can live with the new image of Lara. Did ya
> have to put her in a training bra, though? It's not Lara unless
> there's some cleavage showing (not too much, just a little).

Based on some interviews I read a while back, this seems to be an
issue with Gard... Apparently he doesn't like big breasts. It was
one of the reasons he left Core, arguments over Lara's cup size.

Now, here's the thing I don't understand... In one of the guide
books to TR 1 (by Prima), there are some early drawings of Lara,
(apparently concept sketches by Toby Gard). Many of them depict
Lara as this crazed comic-book type character. And in one, she's
holding a few severed heads. So, let me see if I've got this
straight... She can be a psychotic killer, and that's perfectly
OK, just so long as she isn't (horror of horrors) too voluptuous.
Is that it?

It's one of the very few things I don't like about the game--too
much killing. I know that sort of thing is popular, but I don't
care much for it. Once in a while is OK, if it makes sense. But
to just run through killing everything and everyone in sight...
not so fun. When they say a game will have "more action," I'm
afraid that's just a euphemism for more shooting/killing. So, I'm
a little dubious about the this next installment. ... maybe Gard
feels big bouncies would interfere too much in the kill-fest. ;)

Even if there's gunplay, it doesn't always have to be kill kill
kill. There could be a shoot-out where one or both simply
decides it's getting too hot and escapes. This only happened
once that I recall, in the Cistern level.

> My one request is that you don't change story arcs in mid-stream.
> That'll make things even worse, story-wise. Stay with the Nephilim
> arc, but make it better.
>
> The only problem was the story wasn't detailed enough. It was
> contrived, more or less. The layout also looked way too linear, for
> the most part. Yeah, sure, she had some choices, but it wasn't enough
> to get rid of that linear feel.
>
> AND, FOR GOD'S SAKES, IMPROVE THE DAMN CONTROL SYSTEM!!! I sure as
> hell don't go running headlong into a man with a gun if I can help it!

If you don't have good controls, you don't have a good game.
I'm sure that's high on their list. If it isn't... well, let's
just think happy thoughts for now. :)

-- G

> Track it, maybe, but I'm not that suicidal! And I sure as hell don't
> hesitate to decide if I want to turn or just move sideways. Better
> response time between key-presses would be a big boost. If I press it,
> it should initiate the action immediately. And, last time I checked, I
> can go from standing to running instantaneously. Why the hell does
> Lara have to walk before she can run?? THAT AIN'T REALITY!!!
>
> Well, we'll see what happens.
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 5:52:58 PM

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Paul E Kiefer Jr wrote:
>>
>> TigerTiger wrote:
>>> Found these on the IGN boards.
>>>
>>> Scanned pics of Tomb raider Legend from the May issue of PSM
>>>
>>> http://img177.exs.cx/img177/2388/18uj.jpg
>>> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3884/20gu.jpg
>>> http://img213.exs.cx/img213/3723/33tq1.jpg
>>>
>>> Tombraider.com is also in the process of being updated.
>>>
>>> The wait is nearly over!
>>>
>>> TT
>>
>> Okay, Mr. Gard, I think I can live with the new image of Lara. Did
>> ya have to put her in a training bra, though? It's not Lara unless
>> there's some cleavage showing (not too much, just a little).
>
> Based on some interviews I read a while back, this seems to be an
> issue with Gard... Apparently he doesn't like big breasts. It was
> one of the reasons he left Core, arguments over Lara's cup size.

I've read the same, and seen interview clips where Gard clearly disliked
some of the current aspects Core went with in Lara. The physical was a
main one.

> Now, here's the thing I don't understand... In one of the guide
> books to TR 1 (by Prima), there are some early drawings of Lara,
> (apparently concept sketches by Toby Gard). Many of them depict
> Lara as this crazed comic-book type character. And in one, she's
> holding a few severed heads.

That sounds interesting. I'd love to see all that. I kinda collect
"stuff for the games" that I keep, such as all the TR games, Quake, Doom
and Unreal too. I have the very first Tombraider guidebook that was out
when the game was first released (here anyway). It's not a Prima. It's
"Tombraider: The Official Strategy Guide" - EIDOS Interactive, on the
cover. Author is Zach Meston, published by Dimension Publishing 1996.
I do have a Prima "double decker", guidebooks for TR1 and 2. Much much
newer.
The old book has only two double page "spreads" of a rendered Lara, and
a 1 page ad in the back. Everything else is game screens.
Prima is good about putting other images in with the game screens. That
holds for this double decker too, but I don't think the Lara "paper
dolls" pages qualify :(
You wouldn't mind scanning some of those would ya? :)

>So, let me see if I've got this
> straight... She can be a psychotic killer, and that's perfectly
> OK, just so long as she isn't (horror of horrors) too voluptuous.
> Is that it?

Well that's just their being too human Gary :)  Focus on the minor and
leave the important bit to the wolves so to speak :)
I agree totally with you, there is too much killing going on.

> It's one of the very few things I don't like about the game--too
> much killing. I know that sort of thing is popular, but I don't
> care much for it. Once in a while is OK, if it makes sense. But
> to just run through killing everything and everyone in sight...
> not so fun. When they say a game will have "more action," I'm
> afraid that's just a euphemism for more shooting/killing. So, I'm
> a little dubious about the this next installment. ... maybe Gard
> feels big bouncies would interfere too much in the kill-fest. ;)
>
> Even if there's gunplay, it doesn't always have to be kill kill
> kill. There could be a shoot-out where one or both simply
> decides it's getting too hot and escapes. This only happened
> once that I recall, in the Cistern level.

Really? That would be Pierre? Remember good ol Larson? In St. Frances
Folly, Lara shoots cats, bats and some guy down below, on the floor.
Colloseum, she shoots and kills animals, but the humans always get away.
Hmm. I wonder if Lara actually killed a human in TR1? I mean with
shooting/fighting them. Things happened where people got killed I'm
sure, like the Atlantean stronghold blowing up. But DID Lara actually
kill any humans? Never thought about that before. Seemed it was always
a given. Well, I'll be looking :)
McG.

>> My one request is that you don't change story arcs in mid-stream.
>> That'll make things even worse, story-wise. Stay with the Nephilim
>> arc, but make it better.
>>
>> The only problem was the story wasn't detailed enough. It was
>> contrived, more or less. The layout also looked way too linear, for
>> the most part. Yeah, sure, she had some choices, but it wasn't
>> enough to get rid of that linear feel.
>>
>> AND, FOR GOD'S SAKES, IMPROVE THE DAMN CONTROL SYSTEM!!! I sure as
>> hell don't go running headlong into a man with a gun if I can help
>> it!
>
> If you don't have good controls, you don't have a good game.
> I'm sure that's high on their list. If it isn't... well, let's
> just think happy thoughts for now. :)
>
> -- G
>

>> Track it, maybe, but I'm not that suicidal! And I sure as hell don't
>> hesitate to decide if I want to turn or just move sideways. Better
>> response time between key-presses would be a big boost. If I press
>> it, it should initiate the action immediately. And, last time I
>> checked, I can go from standing to running instantaneously. Why the
>> hell does Lara have to walk before she can run?? THAT AIN'T
>> REALITY!!!
>>
>> Well, we'll see what happens.
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 11:22:41 PM

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> Paul E Kiefer Jr wrote:

>>> Okay, Mr. Gard, I think I can live with the new image of Lara. Did
>>> ya have to put her in a training bra, though? It's not Lara unless
>>> there's some cleavage showing (not too much, just a little).
>>
>> Based on some interviews I read a while back, this seems to be an
>> issue with Gard... Apparently he doesn't like big breasts. It was
>> one of the reasons he left Core, arguments over Lara's cup size.
>
> I've read the same, and seen interview clips where Gard clearly disliked
> some of the current aspects Core went with in Lara. The physical was a
> main one.
>

>> Now, here's the thing I don't understand... In one of the guide
>> books to TR 1 (by Prima), there are some early drawings of Lara,
>> (apparently concept sketches by Toby Gard). Many of them depict
>> Lara as this crazed comic-book type character. And in one, she's
>> holding a few severed heads.
>
> That sounds interesting. I'd love to see all that. I kinda collect
> "stuff for the games" that I keep, such as all the TR games, Quake, Doom
> and Unreal too. I have the very first Tombraider guidebook that was out
> when the game was first released (here anyway). It's not a Prima. It's
> "Tombraider: The Official Strategy Guide" - EIDOS Interactive, on the
> cover. Author is Zach Meston, published by Dimension Publishing 1996. I
> do have a Prima "double decker", guidebooks for TR1 and 2. Much much
> newer.
> The old book has only two double page "spreads" of a rendered Lara, and a
> 1 page ad in the back. Everything else is game screens.
> Prima is good about putting other images in with the game screens. That
> holds for this double decker too, but I don't think the Lara "paper dolls"
> pages qualify :(
> You wouldn't mind scanning some of those would ya? :)

The book is called Tomb Raider Game Secrets, by Nick Roberts. I thas about
three separate illustrations of a Lara looking like a comic book drawing,
only one of which shows her pony tail. One does have a couple of severed
heads in her right hand, and with many separate items on her belt, and
shoulders (like gas grenades), and Lara has a very vicious look on her face.
There does not seem to be any positive indication the illustrations were by
Toby Gard, other than his credit as animation. Can you imagine, the first
TR game was done by six people. I can scan any page, but I don't have
anyplace to post them. ^_^

Inu-Yasha
Feh!!

> [...]
>>> the most part. Yeah, sure, she had some choices, but it wasn't
>>> enough to get rid of that linear feel.
>>>
>>> AND, FOR GOD'S SAKES, IMPROVE THE DAMN CONTROL SYSTEM!!! I sure as
>>> hell don't go running headlong into a man with a gun if I can help
>>> it!
>>
>> If you don't have good controls, you don't have a good game.
>> I'm sure that's high on their list. If it isn't... well, let's
>> just think happy thoughts for now. :)
>>
>> -- G
>>

>>> Track it, maybe, but I'm not that suicidal! And I sure as hell don't
>>> hesitate to decide if I want to turn or just move sideways. Better
>>> response time between key-presses would be a big boost. If I press
>>> it, it should initiate the action immediately. And, last time I
>>> checked, I can go from standing to running instantaneously. Why the
>>> hell does Lara have to walk before she can run?? THAT AIN'T

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 4:29:03 AM

While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
world domination, Gary Mitchell mentioned

>> Okay, Mr. Gard, I think I can live with the new image of Lara. Did ya
>> have to put her in a training bra, though? It's not Lara unless
>> there's some cleavage showing (not too much, just a little).
>
>Based on some interviews I read a while back, this seems to be an
>issue with Gard... Apparently he doesn't like big breasts. It was
>one of the reasons he left Core, arguments over Lara's cup size.

FWIW I'm with him, there.

Anything more than a mouthful is a waste!
"When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout"
..
It's not just a management tool,
It's a philosophy for living!!
..
..
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 4:30:06 AM

While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
world domination, Inu-Yasha mentioned

>> The old book has only two double page "spreads" of a rendered Lara, and a
>> 1 page ad in the back. Everything else is game screens.
>> Prima is good about putting other images in with the game screens. That
>> holds for this double decker too, but I don't think the Lara "paper dolls"
>> pages qualify :(
>> You wouldn't mind scanning some of those would ya? :)
>>
>The book is called Tomb Raider Game Secrets, by Nick Roberts. I thas about
>three separate illustrations of a Lara looking like a comic book drawing,
>only one of which shows her pony tail. One does have a couple of severed
>heads in her right hand, and with many separate items on her belt, and
>shoulders (like gas grenades), and Lara has a very vicious look on her face.
>There does not seem to be any positive indication the illustrations were by
>Toby Gard, other than his credit as animation. Can you imagine, the first
>TR game was done by six people. I can scan any page, but I don't have
>anyplace to post them. ^_^
>
> Inu-Yasha
> Feh!!

Hey!

I'd like to see those scanned images, too.

Why not post them in (alt dot binaries dot lara dot croft) where I've
been posting some Zimmerman images recently? It's pretty quiet in
there and the more posts, the less chance that spammers and trolls
will move in.

I'd like to assess the images for a kisekae set, too.
-
-
Some days, it just isn't worth chewing through the straps.
-
-
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 7:45:34 AM

I think she had a shootout with Larson at the end of the Tomb Of
Qualopec level and knocks him out...remember she returns to the lost
valley area one more time before heading to Greece.

Man--I can't remember if she took out Pierre or not, in fact he shows
up in the TR: Chronicles but I am not sure if that is before or after
TR1

She did take out some of Natla's people in the mine level I think, and
she got rid of the skateboard kid, but even he like disappeared

Cinefyl
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 9:58:59 AM

Inu-Yasha wrote:

> > "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

> >> In one of the guide
> >> books to TR 1 (by Prima), there are some early drawings of Lara,
> >> (apparently concept sketches by Toby Gard). Many of them depict
> >> Lara as this crazed comic-book type character. And in one, she's
> >> holding a few severed heads.
> >
> > That sounds interesting. I'd love to see all that. I kinda collect
> > "stuff for the games" that I keep, such as all the TR games, Quake, Doom
> > and Unreal too. I have the very first Tombraider guidebook that was out
> > when the game was first released (here anyway). It's not a Prima. It's
> > "Tombraider: The Official Strategy Guide" - EIDOS Interactive, on the
> > cover. Author is Zach Meston, published by Dimension Publishing 1996. I
> > do have a Prima "double decker", guidebooks for TR1 and 2. Much much
> > newer.
> > The old book has only two double page "spreads" of a rendered Lara, and a
> > 1 page ad in the back. Everything else is game screens.
> > Prima is good about putting other images in with the game screens. That
> > holds for this double decker too, but I don't think the Lara "paper dolls"
> > pages qualify :(
> > You wouldn't mind scanning some of those would ya? :)
> >
> The book is called Tomb Raider Game Secrets, by Nick Roberts. I thas about
> three separate illustrations of a Lara looking like a comic book drawing,
> only one of which shows her pony tail. One does have a couple of severed
> heads in her right hand, and with many separate items on her belt, and
> shoulders (like gas grenades), and Lara has a very vicious look on her face.
> There does not seem to be any positive indication the illustrations were by
> Toby Gard, other than his credit as animation.

True, but I remember reading that Toby drew up some concept images of
Lara early on, when they were still thinking about who the character
should be. So, that was an assumption on my part. Still, Toby wasn't
alone, maybe someone else drew those.

> Can you imagine, the first
> TR game was done by six people. I can scan any page, but I don't have
> anyplace to post them. ^_^

We can post them over at alt.binaries.lara.croft. Or, in a pinch, no
one would die if an image or two showed up here or alt.fan.lara-croft
once in a while.

-- G

> Inu-Yasha
> Feh!!
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 9:59:00 AM

> Inu-Yasha wrote:
>> "McGrandpa" wrote:
>>> "Gary Mitchell" wrote:
<mega snipped to the point of reply>
>> Can you imagine, the first TR game was done by six people.
>> I can scan any page, but I don't have anyplace to post them.
>> ^_^
>> Inu-Yasha
>> Feh!!
> We can post them over at alt.binaries.lara.croft. Or, in a pinch, no
> one would die if an image or two showed up here or alt.fan.lara-croft
> once in a while.
> -- G

Unless, of course, one has a newsgroup reader BLOCK any and all images in
NGs except binaries. ;)

--
Ms T
ever changing calm

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

> > Now, here's the thing I don't understand... In one of the guide
> > books to TR 1 (by Prima), there are some early drawings of Lara,
> > (apparently concept sketches by Toby Gard). Many of them depict
> > Lara as this crazed comic-book type character. And in one, she's
> > holding a few severed heads.
>
> That sounds interesting. I'd love to see all that. I kinda collect
> "stuff for the games" that I keep, such as all the TR games, Quake, Doom
> and Unreal too. I have the very first Tombraider guidebook that was out
> when the game was first released (here anyway). It's not a Prima. It's
> "Tombraider: The Official Strategy Guide" - EIDOS Interactive, on the
> cover. Author is Zach Meston, published by Dimension Publishing 1996.
> I do have a Prima "double decker", guidebooks for TR1 and 2. Much much
> newer.
> The old book has only two double page "spreads" of a rendered Lara, and
> a 1 page ad in the back. Everything else is game screens.
> Prima is good about putting other images in with the game screens. That
> holds for this double decker too, but I don't think the Lara "paper
> dolls" pages qualify :(
> You wouldn't mind scanning some of those would ya? :)

Alrighty then... they're uploading to alt.binaries.lara.croft as I type.
If something doesn't go right, I'll try again... I don't do much image
posting. :)

There isn't much traffic over there, but just the same, look for the
subject starting with "ATTN McGrampa..." Let me know if you get them OK.

-- G
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 4:46:48 PM

Miowarra Tomokatu wrote:

> While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
> world domination, Gary Mitchell mentioned
>
> >> Okay, Mr. Gard, I think I can live with the new image of Lara. Did ya
> >> have to put her in a training bra, though? It's not Lara unless
> >> there's some cleavage showing (not too much, just a little).
> >
> >Based on some interviews I read a while back, this seems to be an
> >issue with Gard... Apparently he doesn't like big breasts. It was
> >one of the reasons he left Core, arguments over Lara's cup size.
>
> FWIW I'm with him, there.
>
> Anything more than a mouthful is a waste!

Well, that's your and Gard's view... But to quit one's job over
it, isn't that a bit much? Maybe there was more to it than just
that, but that was the main reason given.

Obviously the powers that be felt a D-cup Lara would do more for
sales than an A-cup. If they could sell different versions of the
same game, the only choice being a variety of breast size--no
other differences, it would be interesting to see which would sell
the best. :)

-- G
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:12:59 AM

"cinefyl" <cinefyl@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I think she had a shootout with Larson at the end of the Tomb Of
> Qualopec level and knocks him out...remember she returns to the lost
> valley area one more time before heading to Greece.
>
> Man--I can't remember if she took out Pierre or not, in fact he shows
> up in the TR: Chronicles but I am not sure if that is before or after
> TR1
>
> She did take out some of Natla's people in the mine level I think, and
> she got rid of the skateboard kid, but even he like disappeared
>
> Cinefyl

Larson and Pierre had some ... er... difficulties with some plants in
TR3, London I believe :)
McG.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:27:14 AM

> Miowarra Tomokatu wrote:
>>
>> While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
>> world domination, Gary Mitchell mentioned

>>> Based on some interviews I read a while back, this seems to be an
>>> issue with Gard... Apparently he doesn't like big breasts. It was
>>> one of the reasons he left Core, arguments over Lara's cup size.
>>
>> FWIW I'm with him, there.
>>
>> Anything more than a mouthful is a waste!
>
> Well, that's your and Gard's view... But to quit one's job over
> it, isn't that a bit much? Maybe there was more to it than just
> that, but that was the main reason given.
>
> Obviously the powers that be felt a D-cup Lara would do more for
> sales than an A-cup. If they could sell different versions of the
> same game, the only choice being a variety of breast size--no
> other differences, it would be interesting to see which would sell
> the best. :)
>
> -- G

After about 2 minutes of just looking at the new Lara in each game, I
never notice her unless she'd done something different. And, in AoD,
that was quite a lot 'different'. Like automatically taking off for the
baddies when she has her gun drawn! Gee Whiz how dumb could they have
coded that?!?
SO...the bigger breasts will sell more games. Just for that 2 minutes.
What a species!
McG.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:43:32 AM

> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>
>>> Now, here's the thing I don't understand... In one of the guide
>>> books to TR 1 (by Prima), there are some early drawings of Lara,
>>> (apparently concept sketches by Toby Gard). Many of them depict
>>> Lara as this crazed comic-book type character. And in one, she's
>>> holding a few severed heads.
>>
>> That sounds interesting. I'd love to see all that. I kinda collect
>> "stuff for the games" that I keep, such as all the TR games, Quake,
>> Doom and Unreal too. I have the very first Tombraider guidebook
>> that was out when the game was first released (here anyway). It's
>> not a Prima. It's "Tombraider: The Official Strategy Guide" -
>> EIDOS Interactive, on the cover. Author is Zach Meston, published
>> by Dimension Publishing 1996. I do have a Prima "double decker",
>> guidebooks for TR1 and 2. Much much newer.
>> The old book has only two double page "spreads" of a rendered Lara,
>> and a 1 page ad in the back. Everything else is game screens.
>> Prima is good about putting other images in with the game screens.
>> That holds for this double decker too, but I don't think the Lara
>> "paper dolls" pages qualify :(
>> You wouldn't mind scanning some of those would ya? :)
>
> Alrighty then... they're uploading to alt.binaries.lara.croft as I
> type. If something doesn't go right, I'll try again... I don't do
> much image posting. :)
>
> There isn't much traffic over there, but just the same, look for the
> subject starting with "ATTN McGrampa..." Let me know if you get them
> OK.
>
> -- G

Got em just seconds after I saw this post Gary. They're perfect! Good
Job! No don't bother with the whole pages, the images themselves is
great.
I'd seen similar in the Lara Croft DVD I have. But not on paper. Video
of Toby drawing Lara while sipping tea at a diner :)  That was a while
back I think.
Now, what's it really matter what size cup she fills anyway? That
doesn't appear to hamper her in exploring ruins in the least. As far
as a sexy Lara goes, I always thought that look IS sexy, from women
wearing the Lara outfits from TR1 thru AoD :)  It looks good, yes :)
McG.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:23:02 AM

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Miowarra Tomokatu wrote:
>>
>> While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
>> world domination, Gary Mitchell mentioned

>> >Based on some interviews I read a while back, this seems to be an
>> >issue with Gard... Apparently he doesn't like big breasts. It was
>> >one of the reasons he left Core, arguments over Lara's cup size.
>>
>> FWIW I'm with him, there.
>>
>> Anything more than a mouthful is a waste!
>
> Well, that's your and Gard's view... But to quit one's job over
> it, isn't that a bit much? Maybe there was more to it than just
> that, but that was the main reason given.
>
> Obviously the powers that be felt a D-cup Lara would do more for
> sales than an A-cup. If they could sell different versions of the
> same game, the only choice being a variety of breast size--no
> other differences, it would be interesting to see which would sell
> the best. :)
>
> -- G

Heh, Sounds a little like DOA1 and DOA2 for the PS1 & Dreamcast
respectively, they had a 'bounce' option controlled by the age you entered
(lied about), the older - to a point - the bouncier the girl's boobs got .
The could have controlled the size the same way I should think (in TR of
course). ^_^

Inu-Yasha
Feh!!
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:09:05 AM

Gary Mitchell wrote:

> > > Okay, Mr. Gard, I think I can live with the new image of Lara.
Did ya
> > have to put her in a training bra, though? It's not Lara unless
> > there's some cleavage showing (not too much, just a little).
>
> Based on some interviews I read a while back, this seems to be an
> issue with Gard... Apparently he doesn't like big breasts. It was
> one of the reasons he left Core, arguments over Lara's cup size.
>
> Now, here's the thing I don't understand... In one of the guide
> books to TR 1 (by Prima), there are some early drawings of Lara,
> (apparently concept sketches by Toby Gard). Many of them depict
> Lara as this crazed comic-book type character. And in one, she's
> holding a few severed heads. So, let me see if I've got this
> straight... She can be a psychotic killer, and that's perfectly
> OK, just so long as she isn't (horror of horrors) too voluptuous.
> Is that it?

Then he's forgotten why it was shown that way. Compare the technology
of the first TR to the current version. Back during Number One, the
video technology was very limited, and the only way that you could show
that Lara was female was to exaggerate it a bit because that was the
limitation you had to work with. Yes, it looked pointy. Nothing close
to reality. Yes, it looked like she was a D-cup. You had to live with
that.

And so, even as the technology improved, we lived with her being a
38-D, and, quite frankly, we're used to her that way, and we have
absolutely no qualms about it. Leave her alone. She's fine the way
she is.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:24:34 AM

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > McGrandpa wrote:

> >> That sounds interesting. I'd love to see all that. I kinda collect
> >> "stuff for the games" that I keep, such as all the TR games, Quake,
> >> Doom and Unreal too. I have the very first Tombraider guidebook
> >> that was out when the game was first released (here anyway). It's
> >> not a Prima. It's "Tombraider: The Official Strategy Guide" -
> >> EIDOS Interactive, on the cover. Author is Zach Meston, published
> >> by Dimension Publishing 1996. I do have a Prima "double decker",
> >> guidebooks for TR1 and 2. Much much newer.
> >> The old book has only two double page "spreads" of a rendered Lara,
> >> and a 1 page ad in the back. Everything else is game screens.
> >> Prima is good about putting other images in with the game screens.
> >> That holds for this double decker too, but I don't think the Lara
> >> "paper dolls" pages qualify :(
> >> You wouldn't mind scanning some of those would ya? :)
> >
> > Alrighty then... they're uploading to alt.binaries.lara.croft as I
> > type. If something doesn't go right, I'll try again... I don't do
> > much image posting. :)
> >
> > There isn't much traffic over there, but just the same, look for the
> > subject starting with "ATTN McGrampa..." Let me know if you get them
> > OK.
> >
> > -- G
>
> Got em just seconds after I saw this post Gary. They're perfect! Good
> Job! No don't bother with the whole pages, the images themselves is
> great.
> I'd seen similar in the Lara Croft DVD I have. But not on paper. Video
> of Toby drawing Lara while sipping tea at a diner :)  That was a while
> back I think.

OK, now that you know what I was referring to... Is *that* the Lara
Toby Gard was going to give us? Apparently so. In fact, I remember
reading that the original Lara was supposed to be some kind of half
crazed pirate. Evidently there's more to this than the breast size
issue. I'm glad there was someone else calling the shots and toned
Lara down. It's hard to imagine the game being nearly as good with
a substantially more vicious Lara.

I really don't understand that mind set. Toby rails against breast
size, but a crazed serial killer holding heads by the hair is just
fine. Hmmm... :/

> Now, what's it really matter what size cup she fills anyway?

I think it matters a great deal... to sales. ;)

That was no accident. Marketing people get paid big bucks to
know what sells. Toby Gard isn't in marketing.

> That
> doesn't appear to hamper her in exploring ruins in the least.

No, of course not. In Lara's universe, it doesn't matter at all!
She could be triple Z cup and still jump and climb like a squirrel.
As they say, it's all in the wrist... and the software. :)

<re-reads that and thinks> Geeze, what'd I just say, triple Z
cup?! What would that be, five gallons each? <gulp> :/
<pretends to have trouble seeing the screen> Yeah... I think
there's a woman in there somewhere... yep, I see feet. ;D

-- G

> As far
> as a sexy Lara goes, I always thought that look IS sexy, from women
> wearing the Lara outfits from TR1 thru AoD :)  It looks good, yes :)
> McG.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:42:59 AM

Inu-Yasha wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Miowarra Tomokatu wrote:
> >>
> >> While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
> >> world domination, Gary Mitchell mentioned

> >> FWIW I'm with him, there.
> >>
> >> Anything more than a mouthful is a waste!
> >
> > Well, that's your and Gard's view... But to quit one's job over
> > it, isn't that a bit much? Maybe there was more to it than just
> > that, but that was the main reason given.
> >
> > Obviously the powers that be felt a D-cup Lara would do more for
> > sales than an A-cup. If they could sell different versions of the
> > same game, the only choice being a variety of breast size--no
> > other differences, it would be interesting to see which would sell
> > the best. :)
> >
> > -- G
>
> Heh, Sounds a little like DOA1 and DOA2 for the PS1 & Dreamcast
> respectively, they had a 'bounce' option controlled by the age you entered
> (lied about), the older - to a point - the bouncier the girl's boobs got .
> The could have controlled the size the same way I should think (in TR of
> course). ^_^
>
> Inu-Yasha
> Feh!!

We talked about that here a while back... well, joked really.
Having slider controls for things like bounce, jiggle, size,
gravity defiance, etc. That way everyone could have exactly
the Lara they wanted, no matter how silly. :)

-- G
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 6:24:59 AM

> Inu-Yasha wrote:
>>
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> Well, that's your and Gard's view... But to quit one's job over
>>> it, isn't that a bit much? Maybe there was more to it than just
>>> that, but that was the main reason given.
>>>
>>> Obviously the powers that be felt a D-cup Lara would do more for
>>> sales than an A-cup. If they could sell different versions of the
>>> same game, the only choice being a variety of breast size--no
>>> other differences, it would be interesting to see which would sell
>>> the best. :)
>>>
>>> -- G
>>
>> Heh, Sounds a little like DOA1 and DOA2 for the PS1 & Dreamcast
>> respectively, they had a 'bounce' option controlled by the age you
>> entered (lied about), the older - to a point - the bouncier the
>> girl's boobs got . The could have controlled the size the same way I
>> should think (in TR of course). ^_^
>>
>> Inu-Yasha
>> Feh!!
>
> We talked about that here a while back... well, joked really.
> Having slider controls for things like bounce, jiggle, size,
> gravity defiance, etc. That way everyone could have exactly
> the Lara they wanted, no matter how silly. :)
>
> -- G

I recall Lara getting a nickname (TR1) because of the resemblance to a
certain celebrities antics with costume. Cones, in fact. Madonna :)
McG.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 11:44:12 AM

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Gary Mitchell was heard, at
about 04/04/2005 07:24 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
><snip>

> No, of course not. In Lara's universe, it doesn't matter at all!
> She could be triple Z cup and still jump and climb like a squirrel.
> As they say, it's all in the wrist... and the software. :)
>
> <re-reads that and thinks> Geeze, what'd I just say, triple Z
> cup?! What would that be, five gallons each? <gulp> :/
> <pretends to have trouble seeing the screen> Yeah... I think
> there's a woman in there somewhere... yep, I see feet. ;D
>
> -- G

LOVL

---
PW
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:31:40 PM

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Inu-Yasha wrote:
> >>
> >> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

> >> Heh, Sounds a little like DOA1 and DOA2 for the PS1 & Dreamcast
> >> respectively, they had a 'bounce' option controlled by the age you
> >> entered (lied about), the older - to a point - the bouncier the
> >> girl's boobs got . The could have controlled the size the same way I
> >> should think (in TR of course). ^_^
> >>
> >> Inu-Yasha
> >> Feh!!
> >
> > We talked about that here a while back... well, joked really.
> > Having slider controls for things like bounce, jiggle, size,
> > gravity defiance, etc. That way everyone could have exactly
> > the Lara they wanted, no matter how silly. :)
> >
> > -- G
>
> I recall Lara getting a nickname (TR1) because of the resemblance to a
> certain celebrities antics with costume. Cones, in fact. Madonna :)
> McG.

I was reluctantly prepared to give them that one (Core). True, I
wasn't real thrilled with the "cones," but just figured that was
the best they could do and still have the game perform reasonably
well. If you look at the wire-frame version of the TR 1 Lara,
there really isn't much to her. Anything even somewhat rounded
would take up a significant fraction of all the polygons.

-- G
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 7:10:36 PM

> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>> > We talked about that here a while back... well, joked really.
>> > Having slider controls for things like bounce, jiggle, size,
>> > gravity defiance, etc. That way everyone could have exactly
>> > the Lara they wanted, no matter how silly. :)
>> >
>> > -- G
>>
>> I recall Lara getting a nickname (TR1) because of the resemblance to a
>> certain celebrities antics with costume. Cones, in fact. Madonna :)
>> McG.
>
> I was reluctantly prepared to give them that one (Core). True, I
> wasn't real thrilled with the "cones," but just figured that was
> the best they could do and still have the game perform reasonably
> well. If you look at the wire-frame version of the TR 1 Lara,
> there really isn't much to her. Anything even somewhat rounded
> would take up a significant fraction of all the polygons.
>
> -- G
why do I get this picture of a stick figure...with globes? didn't tr come
out bout the same time as Quake?
rex
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 12:38:11 AM

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> We talked about that here a while back... well, joked really.
>>> Having slider controls for things like bounce, jiggle, size,
>>> gravity defiance, etc. That way everyone could have exactly
>>> the Lara they wanted, no matter how silly. :)
>>>
>>> -- G
>>
>> I recall Lara getting a nickname (TR1) because of the resemblance to
>> a certain celebrities antics with costume. Cones, in fact. Madonna
>> :)  McG.
>
> I was reluctantly prepared to give them that one (Core). True, I
> wasn't real thrilled with the "cones," but just figured that was
> the best they could do and still have the game perform reasonably
> well. If you look at the wire-frame version of the TR 1 Lara,
> there really isn't much to her. Anything even somewhat rounded
> would take up a significant fraction of all the polygons.
>
> -- G

That's true, and it is mentioned in LC: L&L too. Don't forget, Voodoo
graphics were brand new then.
McG.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 12:59:24 AM

"Rex Reynolds" <r.c.reynolds@REMOVETHISworldnet.att.net> wrote in
message news:MTx4e.44851$cg1.4486@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> McGrandpa wrote:
>>>
>>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> I recall Lara getting a nickname (TR1) because of the resemblance
>>> to a certain celebrities antics with costume. Cones, in fact.
>>> Madonna :)  McG.
>>
>> I was reluctantly prepared to give them that one (Core). True, I
>> wasn't real thrilled with the "cones," but just figured that was
>> the best they could do and still have the game perform reasonably
>> well. If you look at the wire-frame version of the TR 1 Lara,
>> there really isn't much to her. Anything even somewhat rounded
>> would take up a significant fraction of all the polygons.
>>
>> -- G
> why do I get this picture of a stick figure...with globes? didn't tr
> come out bout the same time as Quake?
> rex

Quake came out in late 95. The Quake models weren't much to look at
either. But people were really pushing detail in textures a lot.
Toby Gard was laying out the idea of a Lady Tombraider to his bosses at
Core in 1995. Roughly a year later, the game Tombraider was released.
And even though the Lara model was very low polycount, as Toby said,
"everything about Lara (as he is drawing her) is to exaggerate her
female--NESS" What he drew was the hourglass figure with boobs :)  Not
even a face, but man were those boobs there! :)
McG.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:37:02 AM

While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
world domination, McGrandpa mentioned

>> Has this thread hit rock bottom yet? :)
>>
>> -- G
>
>Nope :)  N'yet! Have ya had a look at those other drawings (adult)
>that were posted over there?
>Some of them are very good.... but the author.... he seems to like
>something a bit odd, and the perception shows in the drawings. I noted
>it in the first one, and shows in most of his.
>McG.

Zimmerman DOES have that particular fetish. I think he was put on the
bottle at far too early an age and has felt deprived ever since (g).

There are regular postings of his other works in alt dot binaries dot
nospam dot toons. He (ahem!) "interprets" most of the well-known
cartoon characters, Snow White, Kim Possible, Jessica Rabbit, Alice,
Red Riding Hood and so on.
..
..
"When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout"
..
It's not just a management tool,
It's a philosophy for living!!
..
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 12:41:22 PM

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam..netcom.com> wrote in message
> > McGrandpa wrote:
> >>
> >> "Gary Mitchell"

> >> snip

> >> Try me! :)
> >
> > Heh heh heh... OK. :)
> >
> > How about having a level with lots of running and jumping. With
> > a little practice, you (Lara) could get those things swinging just
> > right and use the added momentum to really increase her jumps! :)
> >
> > Against human male guards/enemies, she could use them to temporarily
> > <ahem> "distract" them, buying time to do whatever she needs to do.
> > No shooting needed, thus no setting off of any alarms. :)  Of course,
> > this might mean rating the game R, or MA, but as far as I'm concerned,
> > that'd be OK, I'm old enough. ;)
> >
> > While swimming, they could add a little buoyancy, or just float
> > straight out themselves... that'd be entertaining. :)
> >
> > When crawling through holes and tunnels, it'd be entertaining watching
> > her squeeze through the tighter spots. :)
> >
> > When pushing buttons, she'd have to be careful not to push them all.
> > :)
> >
> > Should I think of more? :)
>
> Yeah, sure! I'm sitting here thinking of any number of scenarios I've
> played where that could be entertainment all by itself. Lara jumping up
> and monkey swinging a ways. Lara swimming underwater. Lara in ANY
> situation with movement and there's constant nip slippage. Assign a key
> to "Yawn and stretch" :)
> Lets not forget those all important sliders you'd mentioned :)  Remember
> Weird Science (Kelly LeBrock)? When the boys were 'creating' Lisa,
> they had some similar controls for their on screen selection :)
> When she goes "Ahah!" and stoops for a pickup, swing around for a front
> view. Then a rear view.
> That was entertainment for about 30 seconds :)  Now, back to the game!
> ;)

Well, let's see...

Even just her usual trotting along would be entertaining... more like
a strong jiggling sway... quite hypnotic, huh? ;D

In close quarters fighting, she could use them as a weapon... she
starts by leaning to the left, swings well to the right, then really
gets them going on the swing back toward the left--and WHAP! The bad
guy goes tumbling. :)  Do you think not? What'd I say, five gallons
each? Have you ever picked up a five gallon water bottle? Imagine
getting hit with two of those--that'd be a serious body slam! She'd
have a whole new repertoire of fighting techniques. :)

There would be different climbing technique for getting up a ziggurat
or any similar terrain. She'd lift 'em up onto the step above and use
them like an anchor and swing the rest of her body up. :)  She'd give
a whole new meaning to the hand stand. :)

And they'd help with moving those heavy blocks. She'd grab hold, swing
the "big ones" away and let the momentum help her drag the block. :)

Maybe someone with better computer skills than I could actually pull this
off in a custom level--then we could send a copy to Toby Gard! :D  HA!

> >> Shrunken heads!
> >
> > I don't remember seeing any. Which one(s)?
>
> Most of them. The heads are proportionally too small in general.
> Perhaps it's a matter of taste?

Oh... I see what you mean. I thought you meant 'shrunken heads'
as in what headhunters would do, as in that one sketch of early
Lara that we were talking about.

Yeah, her head seems a little small in some of them... hands
too. It may not be on purpose; although, the artwork is so
good, it's hard to imagine the artist simply couldn't manage it.

-- G
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 2:50:33 PM

> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam..netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> Heh heh heh... OK. :)
>>>
>>> How about having a level with lots of running and jumping. With
>>> a little practice, you (Lara) could get those things swinging just
>>> right and use the added momentum to really increase her jumps! :)
>>>
>>> Against human male guards/enemies, she could use them to temporarily
>>> <ahem> "distract" them, buying time to do whatever she needs to do.
>>> No shooting needed, thus no setting off of any alarms. :)  Of
>>> course, this might mean rating the game R, or MA, but as far as I'm
>>> concerned, that'd be OK, I'm old enough. ;)
>>>
>>> While swimming, they could add a little buoyancy, or just float
>>> straight out themselves... that'd be entertaining. :)
>>>
>>> When crawling through holes and tunnels, it'd be entertaining
>>> watching her squeeze through the tighter spots. :)
>>>
>>> When pushing buttons, she'd have to be careful not to push them all.
>>> :)
>>>
>>> Should I think of more? :)
>>
>> Yeah, sure! I'm sitting here thinking of any number of scenarios
>> I've played where that could be entertainment all by itself. Lara
>> jumping up and monkey swinging a ways. Lara swimming underwater.
>> Lara in ANY situation with movement and there's constant nip
>> slippage. Assign a key to "Yawn and stretch" :)
>> Lets not forget those all important sliders you'd mentioned :)
>> Remember Weird Science (Kelly LeBrock)? When the boys were
>> 'creating' Lisa, they had some similar controls for their on screen
>> selection :)
>> When she goes "Ahah!" and stoops for a pickup, swing around for a
>> front view. Then a rear view.
>> That was entertainment for about 30 seconds :)  Now, back to the
>> game! ;)
>
> Well, let's see...
>
> Even just her usual trotting along would be entertaining... more like
> a strong jiggling sway... quite hypnotic, huh? ;D

Oh, it could turn out like AoD, with her constant twitching.... makes me
think of having to go to the loo real bad...

> In close quarters fighting, she could use them as a weapon... she
> starts by leaning to the left, swings well to the right, then really
> gets them going on the swing back toward the left--and WHAP! The bad
> guy goes tumbling. :)  Do you think not? What'd I say, five gallons
> each? Have you ever picked up a five gallon water bottle? Imagine
> getting hit with two of those--that'd be a serious body slam! She'd
> have a whole new repertoire of fighting techniques. :)

Yeah, now we're talking Physics here... just imagine the back musclature
she'd have to have just to support those all the time...ten gallons!
:o \ Gee! Oh, but this is fantasy now ;)

> There would be different climbing technique for getting up a ziggurat
> or any similar terrain. She'd lift 'em up onto the step above and use
> them like an anchor and swing the rest of her body up. :)  She'd give
> a whole new meaning to the hand stand. :)

Now that's interesting! :)  She might get stuck head down feet up!

> And they'd help with moving those heavy blocks. She'd grab hold,
> swing the "big ones" away and let the momentum help her drag the
> block. :)
>

> Maybe someone with better computer skills than I could actually pull
> this off in a custom level--then we could send a copy to Toby Gard!
> :D  HA!

:o )) McG.

>>> I don't remember seeing any. Which one(s)?
>>
>> Most of them. The heads are proportionally too small in general.
>> Perhaps it's a matter of taste?
>
> Oh... I see what you mean. I thought you meant 'shrunken heads'
> as in what headhunters would do, as in that one sketch of early
> Lara that we were talking about.
>
> Yeah, her head seems a little small in some of them... hands
> too. It may not be on purpose; although, the artwork is so
> good, it's hard to imagine the artist simply couldn't manage it.
>
> -- G
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 9:53:18 PM

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 09:11:37 GMT, Gary Mitchell
<wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote:

<snip>

>There's a *lot* of exploration and puzzles
>in the Myst games--and not one single dead body, not even an animal.

However, there is some quite disturbing abandoned gadgetry which
doesn't need much imagination to work out what it was used for.

Achenar's (or was is Sirrus - the ranting brother rather than the
smarmy one) Automatic Stop'n'Chop'n'Drop Sacrificial Altar in the
Channelwood Age comes to mind, as does the electrified prison cell in
the sea fortress (can't remember the name of the Age).

Jerry Brown
--
A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

<http://www.jwbrown.co.uk&gt;
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 3:20:32 AM

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam..netcom.com> wrote in message

>> > Heh heh heh... OK. :)
>> >
>> > How about having a level with lots of running and jumping. With
>> > a little practice, you (Lara) could get those things swinging just
>> > right and use the added momentum to really increase her jumps! :)
>> >
>> > Against human male guards/enemies, she could use them to temporarily
>> > <ahem> "distract" them, buying time to do whatever she needs to do.
>> > No shooting needed, thus no setting off of any alarms. :)  Of course,
>> > this might mean rating the game R, or MA, but as far as I'm concerned,
>> > that'd be OK, I'm old enough. ;)
>> >
>> > While swimming, they could add a little buoyancy, or just float
>> > straight out themselves... that'd be entertaining. :)
>> >
>> > When crawling through holes and tunnels, it'd be entertaining watching
>> > her squeeze through the tighter spots. :)
>> >
>> > When pushing buttons, she'd have to be careful not to push them all.
>> > :)
>> >
>> > Should I think of more? :)
>>
>> Yeah, sure! I'm sitting here thinking of any number of scenarios I've
>> played where that could be entertainment all by itself. Lara jumping up
>> and monkey swinging a ways. Lara swimming underwater. Lara in ANY
>> situation with movement and there's constant nip slippage. Assign a key
>> to "Yawn and stretch" :)
>> Lets not forget those all important sliders you'd mentioned :)  Remember
>> Weird Science (Kelly LeBrock)? When the boys were 'creating' Lisa,
>> they had some similar controls for their on screen selection :)
>> When she goes "Ahah!" and stoops for a pickup, swing around for a front
>> view. Then a rear view.
>> That was entertainment for about 30 seconds :)  Now, back to the game!
>> ;)
>
> Well, let's see...
>
> Even just her usual trotting along would be entertaining... more like
> a strong jiggling sway... quite hypnotic, huh? ;D

If you want to see what that looks like, get a fan sub copy of Divergence
Eve/Misaki Chronicles, the title lead-in shows exactly that type of motion
as the heroine is ... ahmmm spectacularly endowed ... Having seen this in
action, I must say that I prefer our Lara as she is currently built. ^_^

Inu-Yasha
Feh!!

> In close quarters fighting, she could use them as a weapon... she
> starts by leaning to the left, swings well to the right, then really
> gets them going on the swing back toward the left--and WHAP! The bad
> guy goes tumbling. :)  Do you think not? What'd I say, five gallons
> each? Have you ever picked up a five gallon water bottle? Imagine
> getting hit with two of those--that'd be a serious body slam! She'd
> have a whole new repertoire of fighting techniques. :)
>
> There would be different climbing technique for getting up a ziggurat
> or any similar terrain. She'd lift 'em up onto the step above and use
> them like an anchor and swing the rest of her body up. :)  She'd give
> a whole new meaning to the hand stand. :)
>
> And they'd help with moving those heavy blocks. She'd grab hold, swing
> the "big ones" away and let the momentum help her drag the block. :)
>

> Maybe someone with better computer skills than I could actually pull this
> off in a custom level--then we could send a copy to Toby Gard! :D  HA!

>> > I don't remember seeing any. Which one(s)?
>>
>> Most of them. The heads are proportionally too small in general.
>> Perhaps it's a matter of taste?
>
> Oh... I see what you mean. I thought you meant 'shrunken heads'
> as in what headhunters would do, as in that one sketch of early
> Lara that we were talking about.
>
> Yeah, her head seems a little small in some of them... hands
> too. It may not be on purpose; although, the artwork is so
> good, it's hard to imagine the artist simply couldn't manage it.
>
> -- G
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 3:22:45 AM

> [...]
> a whole new meaning to the hand stand. :)
>
> And they'd help with moving those heavy blocks. She'd grab hold, swing
> the "big ones" away and let the momentum help her drag the block. :)
>

> Maybe someone with better computer skills than I could actually pull this
> off in a custom level--then we could send a copy to Toby Gard! :D  HA!

>> > I don't remember seeing any. Which one(s)?
>>
>> Most of them. The heads are proportionally too small in general.
>> Perhaps it's a matter of taste?
>
> Oh... I see what you mean. I thought you meant 'shrunken heads'
> as in what headhunters would do, as in that one sketch of early
> Lara that we were talking about.
>
> Yeah, her head seems a little small in some of them... hands
> too. It may not be on purpose; although, the artwork is so
> good, it's hard to imagine the artist simply couldn't manage it.

Uhmm, sorry, I forgot some of you might not recognize what I am posting
about, it's Japanese anime, and the girl running in the title scene depicts
what was suggested for Lara almost exactly. ^_^

Inu-Yasha
Feh!!
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 3:25:52 AM

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> McGrandpa wrote:
>>>
>>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam..netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> Yeah, sure! I'm sitting here thinking of any number of scenarios
>>> I've played where that could be entertainment all by itself. Lara
>>> jumping up and monkey swinging a ways. Lara swimming underwater.
>>> Lara in ANY situation with movement and there's constant nip
>>> slippage. Assign a key to "Yawn and stretch" :)
>>> Lets not forget those all important sliders you'd mentioned :)
>>> Remember Weird Science (Kelly LeBrock)? When the boys were
>>> 'creating' Lisa, they had some similar controls for their on screen
>>> selection :)
>>> When she goes "Ahah!" and stoops for a pickup, swing around for a
>>> front view. Then a rear view.
>>> That was entertainment for about 30 seconds :)  Now, back to the
>>> game! ;)
>>
>> Well, let's see...
>>
>> Even just her usual trotting along would be entertaining... more like
>> a strong jiggling sway... quite hypnotic, huh? ;D
>
> Oh, it could turn out like AoD, with her constant twitching.... makes me
> think of having to go to the loo real bad...
>

>> In close quarters fighting, she could use them as a weapon... she
>> starts by leaning to the left, swings well to the right, then really
>> gets them going on the swing back toward the left--and WHAP! The bad
>> guy goes tumbling. :)  Do you think not? What'd I say, five gallons
>> each? Have you ever picked up a five gallon water bottle? Imagine
>> getting hit with two of those--that'd be a serious body slam! She'd
>> have a whole new repertoire of fighting techniques. :)
>
> Yeah, now we're talking Physics here... just imagine the back musclature
> she'd have to have just to support those all the time...ten gallons! :o \
> Gee! Oh, but this is fantasy now ;)
>

>> There would be different climbing technique for getting up a ziggurat
>> or any similar terrain. She'd lift 'em up onto the step above and use
>> them like an anchor and swing the rest of her body up. :)  She'd give
>> a whole new meaning to the hand stand. :)
>
> Now that's interesting! :)  She might get stuck head down feet up!

Think what Lara's famous hand stand from a pull-up would look like, <Grin>.

Inu-Yasha
Feh!!

>> And they'd help with moving those heavy blocks. She'd grab hold,
>> swing the "big ones" away and let the momentum help her drag the
>> block. :)
>>

>> Maybe someone with better computer skills than I could actually pull
>> this off in a custom level--then we could send a copy to Toby Gard!
>> :D  HA!
>
> :o )) McG.

>>> Most of them. The heads are proportionally too small in general.
>>> Perhaps it's a matter of taste?
>>
>> Oh... I see what you mean. I thought you meant 'shrunken heads'
>> as in what headhunters would do, as in that one sketch of early
>> Lara that we were talking about.
>>
>> Yeah, her head seems a little small in some of them... hands
>> too. It may not be on purpose; although, the artwork is so
>> good, it's hard to imagine the artist simply couldn't manage it.
>>
>> -- G

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 1:15:04 PM

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > McGrandpa wrote:
> >>
> >> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam..netcom.com> wrote in message

> >> Yeah, sure! I'm sitting here thinking of any number of scenarios
> >> I've played where that could be entertainment all by itself. Lara
> >> jumping up and monkey swinging a ways. Lara swimming underwater.
> >> Lara in ANY situation with movement and there's constant nip
> >> slippage. Assign a key to "Yawn and stretch" :)
> >> Lets not forget those all important sliders you'd mentioned :)
> >> Remember Weird Science (Kelly LeBrock)? When the boys were
> >> 'creating' Lisa, they had some similar controls for their on screen
> >> selection :)
> >> When she goes "Ahah!" and stoops for a pickup, swing around for a
> >> front view. Then a rear view.
> >> That was entertainment for about 30 seconds :)  Now, back to the
> >> game! ;)
> >
> > Well, let's see...
> >
> > Even just her usual trotting along would be entertaining... more like
> > a strong jiggling sway... quite hypnotic, huh? ;D
>
> Oh, it could turn out like AoD, with her constant twitching.... makes me
> think of having to go to the loo real bad...

I still think that's a walk animation that just never gets turned
off when it should. (more evidence of them being rushed.)

> > In close quarters fighting, she could use them as a weapon... she
> > starts by leaning to the left, swings well to the right, then really
> > gets them going on the swing back toward the left--and WHAP! The bad
> > guy goes tumbling. :)  Do you think not? What'd I say, five gallons
> > each? Have you ever picked up a five gallon water bottle? Imagine
> > getting hit with two of those--that'd be a serious body slam! She'd
> > have a whole new repertoire of fighting techniques. :)
>
> Yeah, now we're talking Physics here... just imagine the back musclature
> she'd have to have just to support those all the time...ten gallons!
> :o \ Gee! Oh, but this is fantasy now ;)

Right, in Lara's world, she doesn't have such problems. :)

> > There would be different climbing technique for getting up a ziggurat
> > or any similar terrain. She'd lift 'em up onto the step above and use
> > them like an anchor and swing the rest of her body up. :)  She'd give
> > a whole new meaning to the hand stand. :)
>
> Now that's interesting! :)  She might get stuck head down feet up!

If that would happen during a hand stand, it should happen all the
time. I was just thinking how they'd sort of flip around. :)

> > And they'd help with moving those heavy blocks. She'd grab hold,
> > swing the "big ones" away and let the momentum help her drag the
> > block. :)
> >

> > Maybe someone with better computer skills than I could actually pull
> > this off in a custom level--then we could send a copy to Toby Gard!
> > :D  HA!
>
> :o )) McG.

As I think more and more about that, it sounds like a fun idea.
If Lara in TR (especially TR 4) was too much for him, maybe this
would make his head explode. ;)

-- G
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 1:23:02 PM

Inu-Yasha wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > McGrandpa wrote:
> >>
> >> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam..netcom.com> wrote in message

> >> Yeah, sure! I'm sitting here thinking of any number of scenarios I've
> >> played where that could be entertainment all by itself. Lara jumping up
> >> and monkey swinging a ways. Lara swimming underwater. Lara in ANY
> >> situation with movement and there's constant nip slippage. Assign a key
> >> to "Yawn and stretch" :)
> >> Lets not forget those all important sliders you'd mentioned :)  Remember
> >> Weird Science (Kelly LeBrock)? When the boys were 'creating' Lisa,
> >> they had some similar controls for their on screen selection :)
> >> When she goes "Ahah!" and stoops for a pickup, swing around for a front
> >> view. Then a rear view.
> >> That was entertainment for about 30 seconds :)  Now, back to the game!
> >> ;)
> >
> > Well, let's see...
> >
> > Even just her usual trotting along would be entertaining... more like
> > a strong jiggling sway... quite hypnotic, huh? ;D
> >

> If you want to see what that looks like, get a fan sub copy of Divergence
> Eve/Misaki Chronicles, the title lead-in shows exactly that type of motion
> as the heroine is ... ahmmm spectacularly endowed ... Having seen this in
> action, I must say that I prefer our Lara as she is currently built. ^_^
>
> Inu-Yasha
> Feh!!

Do you have a link to it?

-- G
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 1:26:55 PM

Jerry Brown wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 09:11:37 GMT, Gary Mitchell
> <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >There's a *lot* of exploration and puzzles
> >in the Myst games--and not one single dead body, not even an animal.
>
> However, there is some quite disturbing abandoned gadgetry which
> doesn't need much imagination to work out what it was used for.

Perhaps, but IMO that absolutely pales in comparison... and it
*isn't* being used (in the game). OTOH, it is a clue as to the
true character of these guys.

-- G

> Achenar's (or was is Sirrus - the ranting brother rather than the
> smarmy one) Automatic Stop'n'Chop'n'Drop Sacrificial Altar in the
> Channelwood Age comes to mind, as does the electrified prison cell in
> the sea fortress (can't remember the name of the Age).
>
> Jerry Brown
> --
> A cat may look at a king
> (but probably won't bother)
>
> <http://www.jwbrown.co.uk&gt;
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 2:30:18 PM

> Jerry Brown wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 09:11:37 GMT, Gary Mitchell
>> <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> There's a *lot* of exploration and puzzles
>>> in the Myst games--and not one single dead body, not even an animal.
>>
>> However, there is some quite disturbing abandoned gadgetry which
>> doesn't need much imagination to work out what it was used for.
>
> Perhaps, but IMO that absolutely pales in comparison... and it
> *isn't* being used (in the game). OTOH, it is a clue as to the
> true character of these guys.
>
> -- G
>
>> Achenar's (or was is Sirrus - the ranting brother rather than the
>> smarmy one) Automatic Stop'n'Chop'n'Drop Sacrificial Altar in the
>> Channelwood Age comes to mind, as does the electrified prison cell in
>> the sea fortress (can't remember the name of the Age).
>>
>> Jerry Brown
>> --
>> A cat may look at a king
>> (but probably won't bother)
>>
>> <http://www.jwbrown.co.uk&gt;

The beginning of Riven. You're locked in that chamber and the 'guard'
guy gets your linking book. He opens it. He drops dead. Someone off
scene drags his body away from your view. Your door is unlocked
then.... no dead bodies?
McG.
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 12:39:32 PM

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Jerry Brown wrote:
> >>
> >> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 09:11:37 GMT, Gary Mitchell
> >> <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip>

> >> However, there is some quite disturbing abandoned gadgetry which
> >> doesn't need much imagination to work out what it was used for.
> >
> > Perhaps, but IMO that absolutely pales in comparison... and it
> > *isn't* being used (in the game). OTOH, it is a clue as to the
> > true character of these guys.
> >
> > -- G
> >
> >> Achenar's (or was is Sirrus - the ranting brother rather than the
> >> smarmy one) Automatic Stop'n'Chop'n'Drop Sacrificial Altar in the
> >> Channelwood Age comes to mind, as does the electrified prison cell in
> >> the sea fortress (can't remember the name of the Age).
> >>
> >> Jerry Brown
> >> --
> >> A cat may look at a king
> >> (but probably won't bother)
> >>
> >> <http://www.jwbrown.co.uk&gt;
>
> The beginning of Riven. You're locked in that chamber and the 'guard'
> guy gets your linking book. He opens it. He drops dead. Someone off
> scene drags his body away from your view. Your door is unlocked
> then.... no dead bodies?
> McG.

Is that how you remember it? Just to be sure I was remembering
accurately, I fired it up and checked...

That guy got hit in the neck by a dart. You don't know that it killed
him, there's no indication at all that he's dead. I always assumed it
merely rendered him unconscious. The second guy opens the gate and
runs off with your prison linking book.

Both are gone by the time you get out--which isn't very long. There
is nobody out there, alive, dead, or unconscious. It's doubtful the
first guy recovered so quickly, assuming he was unconscious. I
believe the second guy had his own linking book and that's how they
both got away so quickly.

So, yes... no dead bodies.

However, I will give you this: It is possible to get killed, but
you have to practically ask for it. No gamer worth his/her salt
would normally make the necessary mistakes to get that to happen.
I forget his name, but the old guy that you're after will shoot you
if you keep coming back to his lab and don't cooperate. I tried
it once on purpose--just to see what would happen.

-- G
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 6:17:54 PM

> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> Perhaps, but IMO that absolutely pales in comparison... and it
>>> *isn't* being used (in the game). OTOH, it is a clue as to the
>>> true character of these guys.
>>>
>>> -- G

>> The beginning of Riven. You're locked in that chamber and the
>> 'guard' guy gets your linking book. He opens it. He drops dead.
>> Someone off scene drags his body away from your view. Your door is
>> unlocked then.... no dead bodies?
>> McG.
>
> Is that how you remember it? Just to be sure I was remembering
> accurately, I fired it up and checked...
>
> That guy got hit in the neck by a dart. You don't know that it killed
> him, there's no indication at all that he's dead. I always assumed it
> merely rendered him unconscious. The second guy opens the gate and
> runs off with your prison linking book.
>
> Both are gone by the time you get out--which isn't very long. There
> is nobody out there, alive, dead, or unconscious. It's doubtful the
> first guy recovered so quickly, assuming he was unconscious. I
> believe the second guy had his own linking book and that's how they
> both got away so quickly.
>
> So, yes... no dead bodies.
>
> However, I will give you this: It is possible to get killed, but
> you have to practically ask for it. No gamer worth his/her salt
> would normally make the necessary mistakes to get that to happen.
> I forget his name, but the old guy that you're after will shoot you
> if you keep coming back to his lab and don't cooperate. I tried
> it once on purpose--just to see what would happen.
>
> -- G

Hm. I must have cooperated :)  I didn't get shot. I remember some
puzzles that were so long and drawn out they were tedious. Oh well.
These games are a class by themselves anyway.
McG.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:44:35 AM

=>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then Gary Mitchell
warbled on about "Re: First Look:Tomb Raider Legend" in a.g.t <<=

> I have to say, I'm not totally happy with the new Lara. For
> one thing, her chin is too pointed. It makes her not quite
> look like Lara... a Croft relative perhaps. And Lara is
> supposed to be athletic, her legs shouldn't be so thin. I
> think it would have been a good idea to go back to the original
> Lara on the TR 1 box cover and do a high-res, high poly count,
> updated version of that model.

She reminds me of someone - british actress I've seen recently but
haven't remembered the naem of (kinda Keira Knightleyish)

> And I wonder who'll do the voice... It wouldn't kill them to
> get Judith Gibbons back. :)

Don't think so - they'll probably stick with a younger sounding Lara
given the way the new ingame model looks. She's supposed to be 35?
going by the official canon now...

--
snark^ #gameplanet channel on the etg IRC network snark(at)
www.gameplanet.co.nz ICQ: 1471203 paradise(dot)net(dot)nz

=>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then Pistol Whipped
warbled on about "Re: First Look:Tomb Raider Legend" in a.g.t <<=

> Thank you! Those images look really good. Lara's got a *great* a...
> oops ... forgot ... family oriented ... family oriented ... ;)

Tits. And arse.

> I definitely agree with fullmetalpancake and AmericanPsycho, but
> Lord_Gradient can take his "easier" version of the game and shove it up
> his a... ugh ... *family* oriented ... *family* oriented ... :D
>
> Lookin like bringing Toby back was a *good* thing!

Does indeed. Hopefully he took the scriptwriter out back and beat the
seven hells out of him and then said: "no, this is how the story will
go..."

> P.S. Actually using the function keys for inventory is not nearly as bad
> as it may seem, in fact, it works pretty well. I play NOLF which calls
> for much more frequent weapons changes, but they messed up NOLF2 by
> *going* to a menu system. As long as they are assignable by the user
> ... that's the key.

He never said there wouldn't be an inventory, just that you wouldn't
have to access it to see what gear she's carrying because you'll be able
to see it on her ingame model. Did read like they're going to make it a
limited capacity though (which is good).

--
Hours spent gaming last week: 32+ Online/Single player: 30
Last game(s) finished: --

> Inu-Yasha wrote:
>>
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

SNIP

>> If you want to see what that looks like, get a fan sub copy of Divergence
>> Eve/Misaki Chronicles, the title lead-in shows exactly that type of
>> motion
>> as the heroine is ... ahmmm spectacularly endowed ... Having seen this
>> in
>> action, I must say that I prefer our Lara as she is currently built. ^_^
>>
>> Inu-Yasha
>> Feh!!
>
> Do you have a link to it?
>
> -- G

Sorry, I don't, on thinking, most torrent sites (how I got it) don't have it
anymore because it is licensed. If I can figure out a way to rip off the
animation I mentioned, Ill post a note here, and put it on the abl-c group.
^_^

Inu-Yasha
Feh!!
!