Registry Editor

February 20, 2005 4:15:56 PM

If I'm in the wrong group, please direct me. Directions that state,
"Navigate to and delete this key : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\
Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\
ZoneMap\Domains\xx_xxxxxx.com".
Is the entire string deleted or just the domain name?

I believe I understand that a predefined key may not be deleted, but if the
key in question is extraneous, is a part or all of it deleted? I'm trying
to get as much knowlege as I can about the registry.

More about : registry editor

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 4:31:40 PM

The registry is a database that contains various hardware and software
settings or links to more complex settings.
Generally, you can export a key and then delete it to see what you get; if
something goes terribly wrong, you can restore that key (or just redo
manually) from Safe Mode. Safer is tu use a registry backup script such as
the free ERUNT.
You can safely delete the key you're asking about; of course, you can delete
only the domain name, too.
Michael

"Ulysses Hardy" <u.hardy@verizon.net> wrote in message
> If I'm in the wrong group, please direct me. Directions that state,
> "Navigate to and delete this key : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\
> Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\
> ZoneMap\Domains\xx_xxxxxx.com".
> Is the entire string deleted or just the domain name?
>
> I believe I understand that a predefined key may not be deleted, but if
> the key in question is extraneous, is a part or all of it deleted? I'm
> trying to get as much knowlege as I can about the registry.

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 4:48:01 PM

What are you trying to do?

The xx_xxxxxx.com folder will be deleted if you right click it and select
Delete.

Not HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:e4EI6g3FFHA.2144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Ulysses Hardy <u.hardy@verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
> If I'm in the wrong group, please direct me. Directions that state,
> "Navigate to and delete this key : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\
> Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\
> ZoneMap\Domains\xx_xxxxxx.com".
> Is the entire string deleted or just the domain name?
>
> I believe I understand that a predefined key may not be deleted, but
> if the key in question is extraneous, is a part or all of it deleted?
> I'm trying to get as much knowlege as I can about the registry.
February 20, 2005 8:10:59 PM

I'm trying only to get a better understanding of what the phrase, "delete
the following key(s)" mean in insructions which intend to assist in deleting
adware (adware.cdt) file from a system and assure the registry is also
clean. From comments I've received so far, deleting a registry key(s)
actually mean to remove/delete a specific value from the right or left pane
as would be suggested by either Symantec or McAfee. Right? I do not have a
problen. The question is only informational. I want to be as knowledgeable
as possible should the situation arise. I thank everyone for their
understanding.

"Ulysses Hardy" <u.hardy@verizon.net> wrote in message
> If I'm in the wrong group, please direct me. Directions that state,
> "Navigate to and delete this key : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\
> Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\
> ZoneMap\Domains\xx_xxxxxx.com".
> Is the entire string deleted or just the domain name?
>
> I believe I understand that a predefined key may not be deleted, but if
> the key in question is extraneous, is a part or all of it deleted? I'm
> trying to get as much knowlege as I can about the registry.

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 8:11:00 PM

Not necessarily. You have to know what the terms mean *and* what the writer
of whatever instructions meant. Part of that may be a tough job. ;-)

Structure of the Registry
Registry subtrees, keys, subkeys, and entries in the registry

Registry hives and files
The term hive describes a body of keys, subkeys, and values that is rooted
at the top of the registry hierarchy.

Hives may also be called registry files or registry log files.

Subtree
A subtree is a root, or primary division, of the registry.

Subtrees do not contain configuration data; they contain the keys and
subkeys in which the data is stored.

Key
Keys are the first division of a subtree. Keys contain subkeys and entries.

Subkey
Subkeys are children of keys. All registry folder contained in keys are
called subkeys. Subkeys can contain entries and other subkeys.

Entry
Entries are the lowest level element in the registry. They appear in the
right pane of a registry editor window. Each entry consists of an entry
name, its data type, and its value.

Entries store the actual configuration data that affects the operating
system and programs that run on the system. As such, they are different
from keys and subkeys, which are merely containers.

Entries are referenced by their registry path and name. The amount and type
of data that can be stored in an entry is determined by the data type of the
entry.

There's a picture of the Registry Structure here...

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eJoHQk5FFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Ulysses Hardy <u.hardy@verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
> I'm trying only to get a better understanding of what the phrase,
> "delete the following key(s)" mean in insructions which intend to
> assist in deleting adware (adware.cdt) file from a system and assure
> the registry is also clean. From comments I've received so far,
> deleting a registry key(s) actually mean to remove/delete a specific
> value from the right or left pane as would be suggested by either
> Symantec or McAfee. Right? I do not have a problen. The question is
> only informational. I want to be as knowledgeable as possible should
> the situation arise. I thank everyone for their understanding.
>

> "Ulysses Hardy" <u.hardy@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> If I'm in the wrong group, please direct me. Directions that state,
>> "Navigate to and delete this key : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\
>> Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\
>> ZoneMap\Domains\xx_xxxxxx.com".
>> Is the entire string deleted or just the domain name?
>>
>> I believe I understand that a predefined key may not be deleted, but
>> if the key in question is extraneous, is a part or all of it
>> deleted? I'm trying to get as much knowlege as I can about the
>> registry.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 10:22:37 PM

Thank you Wesley.

You directed me to just the diagram I need

for familiarization.

All the links were very informative.

Some time ago, when I edited the registry,

as instructed by Symantec, to do a complete

uninstall of Norton SystemWorks, the registry didn't

seem scary at all and I had no problems.

After viewing the material you directed me to, I have

more respect for the registry now.

"Ulysses Hardy" <u.hardy@verizon.net> wrote in message
> If I'm in the wrong group, please direct me. Directions that state,
> "Navigate to and delete this key : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\
> Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\
> ZoneMap\Domains\xx_xxxxxx.com".
> Is the entire string deleted or just the domain name?
>
> I believe I understand that a predefined key may not be deleted, but if
> the key in question is extraneous, is a part or all of it deleted? I'm
> trying to get as much knowlege as I can about the registry.

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 8:19:10 PM

Here are some more links that I had that you might find useful...

[[Important This article contains information about modifying the registry.
Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that
you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For
information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the
following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry]]

About the Windows Registry

Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;256986

Differences Between Regedit.exe and Regedt32.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141377

Discovering the System Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2fdirec...

Editing the registry
http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/art_reg.html

HOW TO Add, Modify, or Delete Registry Subkeys and Values by Using a
Registration Entries (.reg) File
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310516

HOW TO Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP and Windows
Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322756

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

Inside the Registry
http://www.winntmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=51...

Policy Settings for the Start Menu in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292504

Registry Editor overview

Safekeeping the Registry
http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/h...

Windows Registry Tutorial
http://www.winguides.com/article.php?id=1&guide=registr...

Windows NT Registry Tutorial
http://www.governmentsecurity.org/articles/WindowsNTReg...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:u5eWzt6FFHA.548@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Ulysses Hardy <u.hardy@verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
> Thank you Wesley.
>
> You directed me to just the diagram I need
>
> for familiarization.
>
> All the links were very informative.
>
> Some time ago, when I edited the registry,
>
> as instructed by Symantec, to do a complete
>
> uninstall of Norton SystemWorks, the registry didn't
>
> seem scary at all and I had no problems.
>
> After viewing the material you directed me to, I have
>
> more respect for the registry now.
>

> "Ulysses Hardy" <u.hardy@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> If I'm in the wrong group, please direct me. Directions that state,
>> "Navigate to and delete this key : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\
>> Microsft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\
>> ZoneMap\Domains\xx_xxxxxx.com".
>> Is the entire string deleted or just the domain name?
>>
>> I believe I understand that a predefined key may not be deleted, but
>> if the key in question is extraneous, is a part or all of it
>> deleted? I'm trying to get as much knowlege as I can about the
>> registry.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:36:47 PM

Thanks again Wesley

My basic understanding is getting better and better.

!