CPU cooler touching chassis wall - is this a hazard?

SRK

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
I would like to install a large aftermarket cooler in my computer. I am certain it will fit, however, it will be a tight fit.

The sides of my case are lined with antistatic acoustic foam. Because the fit is a tight one, I am concerned that the CPU cooler might just barely make contact with the foam, which I believe would create a path to ground.

If that happens, could it cause damage to the computer components? Is it harmful for a CPU cooler to be grounded?

Solution
Not electrically. The heatsink makes contact with the CPU heatshield, which does not conduct electricity but does conduct heat away from the CPU to the heatsink. The heatsink then dissipates the heat to the air via many cooling fins.

It should not create any ground faults, however I've heard of crazier things. The foam may reduce the heat dissipating efficiency of the cooler however, and touching the foam or the case is not ideal. I would cut away the foam in the area directly adjacent to the heatsink with an exacto or other knife. Or get a different cooler.
Not electrically. The heatsink makes contact with the CPU heatshield, which does not conduct electricity but does conduct heat away from the CPU to the heatsink. The heatsink then dissipates the heat to the air via many cooling fins.

It should not create any ground faults, however I've heard of crazier things. The foam may reduce the heat dissipating efficiency of the cooler however, and touching the foam or the case is not ideal. I would cut away the foam in the area directly adjacent to the heatsink with an exacto or other knife. Or get a different cooler.

Solution

SRK

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010

Okay, thank you both. I'm not concerned about the foam impeding thermal efficiency because it's only going to make contact at a couple extremely small points (possibly the peaks of the heatpipes sticking out of the cooling fin assembly), if at all, and the cooler is such an effective model that I think it will be overkill to begin with. I just wanted to know it wasn't going to short anything out :)

Yes, no pb there.