DAW Graphics Card Options--Low power--Fanless

dredsilver

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I'm in the process of putting together a DesktopAudioWorkstation and with noise control being a primary build factor, I've opted to stick a fanless graphics card in.

I'm ONLY going to be doing audio recording with this PC.

I've found a few entry level options of the 4xxx and 5xxx ATI family.

I'm basically wondering if I'm gonna see any performance issues when using dual-monitor setup (1920x1080) with a 4550 or 5450. That's pretty much my main concern. I've got more familiarity with higher end performance cards but nothing in this area.

I assume it should be enough to power two monitors, but any input is highly appreciated.

Also welcome: any other suggestions.

Thanks

Solution

you can't use a vga to dvi adapter for a monitor since monitors only support dvi-d (digital only), the reason dvi to vga works is because gpus use dvi-i (digital and analog)

SAPPHIRE 100291L Radeon HD 5450 would work, just use an hdmi to dvi cable for you monitor

as for performance, since you really aren't doing anything graphically intensive it should work fine

popatim

Titan
if you need two dvi connectors then you'll need to hang an adapter off the vga port of the 5450. I think only 6200's have dual dvi's nowadays. But yeah, I'd go with a 5450 over a 6200 if I could; not that you're hitting the system hard for 3d with what your doing but that HDMI on the 5450 might be a big plus for you when hooked into a nice big LCD tv down the road

you can't use a vga to dvi adapter for a monitor since monitors only support dvi-d (digital only), the reason dvi to vga works is because gpus use dvi-i (digital and analog)

SAPPHIRE 100291L Radeon HD 5450 would work, just use an hdmi to dvi cable for you monitor

as for performance, since you really aren't doing anything graphically intensive it should work fine

Solution