Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Advice on my build? Over budget...

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 16, 2010 6:03:13 AM

yeah that's a better way of putting it...

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: next few weeks BUDGET RANGE: $1000 or below

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: multitasking, gaming

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I'm getting the monitor later so I'm not sure, but hopefully pretty good resolution

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Fast, quiet, best bang for my buck. I want it to handle and switch between 10+ apps and 50+ browser windows like lightning. And I want it



In a previous post, someone commented and pretty much gave me this build based on what I wanted, so I just wanted advice and recommendations on whether I'll be getting a good value. If you happen to know of components of similar (preferably cheaper) value but with similar (preferably high) quality and speed (possibly w/ OC but w/o is preferred), I'd be happy to hear about them. :D 

Otherwise if you have any experience with any of the components then I'd love to hear your opinions. I'm going for speed, durability, noiseless-ness, and (of course) compatibility.

COMPONENTS:

CASE: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


CPU: Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz 8MB LGA 1366 L3 Quad Core Desktop Processor - BX80601930
http://www.buy.com/prod/213825592.html?adid=17662


GPU: SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PCU: Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER: Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CD/DVD: LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - Bulk LightScribe Support - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

TOTAL = $1080.90
which is almost $100 over my budget...yikes. I'll go with it if I have to but I'm willing to sacrifice a little performance for a lot of value (however painful that will be), as long as it's only a little performance...

I found a 400W power supply for $20... I don't suppose that'll be enough, especially if I want to OC...? Haha not sure if it's possible but I could get 800W with both of those for cheaper than my current 550W choice... But I don't suppose that'll fit in the case...

Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W Continuous Power ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : advice build budget

June 16, 2010 6:38:23 AM

For Full HD gaming (if u hitting a Full HD display) u want more horsepower than HD 5770 for games ^^
m
0
l
Related resources
June 16, 2010 6:48:04 AM

batuchka said:
For Full HD gaming (if u hitting a Full HD display) u want more horsepower than HD 5770 for games ^^


What would you suggest? I might have to stick with what I have for now though...I'm already over-budget as it is... I might just get another one in a year or so when I afford it and run them with crossfire, if I feel one doesn't suit my needs adequately.
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 6:50:17 AM

gkay09 said:
^ Did you check out the new AMD 6-Core CPUs ??? Though they are not as good as the i7 in general, but for Multitasking and others stuffs, would offer very good performance comparable to i7 when overclocked...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I've checked them out yeah... And I've heard about their performance for the price, but I was thinking I want my computer to still be taken seriously 5+ years from now and I feel that the Phenom II's are gonna be outdated faster, whereas I think I'll still have a competitively powerful CPU compared to future models, and hence I won't have to upgrade for maybe 10 years (hopefullyyy).
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 6:58:03 AM

^ Well it would also depend on the type of games that you play...the HD 5770 is a powerful card...If you are OK with Medium-High settings in very graphic intensive games such as Crysis Warhead and such and High-Very high in other games, then the HD 5770 would hold up...
I built an i5 750 + HD 5770 PC for my friend and he is able to max out Crysis warhead @ 1080p, but with occasional lag...So am sure if you lower the settings just a little bit, you would get smooth gameplay...
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 7:01:44 AM

^^ Dint refresh...
I think you have not heard about the AMD "Bulldozer" CPUs...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2871/2
So the AM3 socket would get a new life then...So just a CPU upgrade then would keep your PC in very good running shape...
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 7:25:39 AM

^ Haha no I had not. Hmm I can definitely see AMD coming back in the CPU market by then too...

Gahh I'd have to find a new mobo and everythinggggg (I've sorted through at least 10 mobos these past few days and everytime I've settled on one, another seems to fit better and I'm getting tired...plus I'm lazy. ^_^ ). We'll see...

I can also see my mobo being outdated by then so it might not even matter if I'm not planning on upgrading my CPU in 5-10 years...
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 2:40:35 PM

+1 @Gkay's points.
1. Depending on the games you play, a HD5770 may very well be enough.
2. AMD's socket AM3 will have some life left in it for quite some time.
3. For that many tasks, a Phenom II X6 is a good choice.

That's a lot of apps to be running at the same time though, and browser windows. If there is active content in those windows, you may find your Internet connection becomes a severe bottleneck. Is this for work, or home?
It could add a lot to the cost, but a SSD would make your application loading and swapping really snappy.
You may also be that rare individual for whom 8GB of RAM (rather than 4GB) could make a difference, but then there's another chunk of change.

Edit: Oh, and what looks like potentially a serious business machine as well as being good for gaming suggests a serious PSU. Take a look at the Antec Truepower New, Corsair, or Seasonic. For any single GPU, 500W-550W is enough; for Crossfire/SLI, 650W-750W would be more appropriate.

m
0
l
June 16, 2010 4:01:19 PM

Well for fun and games, here's a $1k build that has xfire 5850's. I'll post a serious build in a bit.

Optical $20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec 300 Case $49.50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 4gb $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU/PSU Combo
XFX 5850 and OCZ 700w Stealthxstream $320 w/ $15 MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

GPU 2 and free stuff
XFX 5850 $277
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

CPU/MOBO
Phenom II x3 720 and MSI 790XT-G45 $179
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

HD
Spinpoint F3 500gb $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HSF
CM RR-H101-22FK-RA $15
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total comes to $1020.87 before $15 MIR and shipping
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 4:21:35 PM

Not sure what multi tasking you're doing. But here's a serious $1k build with CUDA.

Optical $20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case
HAF 922 $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HD
Spinpoint F3 500GB $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM
G Skill Ripjaw 1600 Cas 7 $100 w/ promo code, ends today
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU/PSU
GTX 470 and Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775 $395 w/ $20 MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

CPU/MOBO
i5-750 and Asus ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA $365
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Total $1025 before shipping and $20 MIR


you could also do a 5850 based build with an OCZ Modxstream 700W 80+ for ~$987.

Just that 470 + PSU is a great deal ATM.
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 4:52:14 PM

Onus said:
+1 @Gkay's points.
1. Depending on the games you play, a HD5770 may very well be enough.
2. AMD's socket AM3 will have some life left in it for quite some time.
3. For that many tasks, a Phenom II X6 is a good choice.

That's a lot of apps to be running at the same time though, and browser windows. If there is active content in those windows, you may find your Internet connection becomes a severe bottleneck. Is this for work, or home?
It could add a lot to the cost, but a SSD would make your application loading and swapping really snappy.
You may also be that rare individual for whom 8GB of RAM (rather than 4GB) could make a difference, but then there's another chunk of change.

Edit: Oh, and what looks like potentially a serious business machine as well as being good for gaming suggests a serious PSU. Take a look at the Antec Truepower New, Corsair, or Seasonic. For any single GPU, 500W-550W is enough; for Crossfire/SLI, 650W-750W would be more appropriate.


My internet connection probably will be a bottleneck.. It's actually for college, and the whole campus is wireless but I could probably get my computer hooked up with a cable too.

I've heard about SSD's and I'd definitely get one if I had the money...but I don't. At least for now. I'd love to upgrade in a year or so though.

I'm only going with 1 GPU for now; maybe in a few years I'll get another one for Crossfire... But so with OC would I not have any problems with 550? And could I go down to 500 then maybe?
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 5:25:19 PM

banthracis said:
Not sure what multi tasking you're doing. But here's a serious $1k build with CUDA.

Optical $20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case
HAF 922 $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HD
Spinpoint F3 500GB $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM
G Skill Ripjaw 1600 Cas 7 $100 w/ promo code, ends today
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU/PSU
GTX 470 and Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775 $395 w/ $20 MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

CPU/MOBO
i5-750 and Asus ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA $365
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Total $1025 before shipping and $20 MIR


you could also do a 5850 based build with an OCZ Modxstream 700W 80+ for ~$987.

Just that 470 + PSU is a great deal ATM.


So are you saying you'd suggest a less powerful CPU?

The thing is I really don't need that much GPU power at this point. I'd much rather get a powerful CPU and just upgrade the GPU later to fit my needs, since I could always just buy another one while keeping the same mobo. I'm afraid the i5's slot will be outdated fairly quickly.. But I'm not a very extreme gamer so if the 5770 will fit most of my needs then I'll probably just go with that.

Do you think I'll need 775 watts of power with my previous setup?
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 5:29:32 PM

^^ Also, what do you think about my RAM selection? the CL is 9...I've heard that's bad... Will it make a very noticeable difference in my usage?
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 5:32:29 PM

If all you're doing is switching from browser windows, you'd be fine with a dual core CPU, even if you have 500 windows open.

In addition, the i7-930 is only better than the i5-750 in well threaded software. This is primarily those in the professional A/V or graphic design business.

Gaming is what will stress a system. The 5770 is an ok GPU, but nothing compared tot he 5850 or 470.

If you're spending $1k, why get the system that'll be much worse at gaming (50% improvement or more from 5770-> 5850 or 470) when both builds would perform the same for your other needs?
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 5:34:35 PM

9t9redballoons said:
^^ Also, what do you think about my RAM selection? the CL is 9...I've heard that's bad... Will it make a very noticeable difference in my usage?


Depends on usage. Gaming, won't increase FPS. But it will affect system responsiveness.

m
0
l
June 16, 2010 6:00:27 PM

banthracis said:
If all you're doing is switching from browser windows, you'd be fine with a dual core CPU, even if you have 500 windows open.

In addition, the i7-930 is only better than the i5-750 in well threaded software. This is primarily those in the professional A/V or graphic design business.

Gaming is what will stress a system. The 5770 is an ok GPU, but nothing compared tot he 5850 or 470.

If you're spending $1k, why get the system that'll be much worse at gaming (50% improvement or more from 5770-> 5850 or 470) when both builds would perform the same for your other needs?


I see your point, but I also want to keep this computer from being outdated for at least the next 5+ years. If the software evolves (which it better) then the i7 is going to have a clear advantage, and thus my system will stay relevant without me having to get a whole new CPU/mobo. Whereas if I find that the 5770 isn't enough for me then I could always just get another one for crossfire, which will only be a little over the price of getting the 5850 and even under the 470. For that matter, I'm not a HUGE gamer, the laptop I've been using for the past few years hasn't even been able to play any real games so 1) I've never had experience with any GPU that can run a good game reasonably smoothly so the 5770 will be a huge leap for me already, and 2) since I haven't actually had a computer that could play good games, most of the games will come AFTER I buy the computer/GPU, so if my GPU can't run a game well then I just won't get that game yet.

The thing is that I'm trying to convince my parents to help pay for this (it's my college PC) and they'll be much more receptive to helping shoulder a cheaper computer than an expensive one if they don't think it's worth it, and I'm trying to future-proof it so that it won't be obsolete by the time I graduate and a little beyond that hopefully. If I can pull together some money in the next year or so then I'll just upgrade my GPU, but whatever innovations happen in the next few years, I don't want my CPU and mobo to lag behind.
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 6:48:33 PM

I'm trying to understand why you want an i7. Nothing you do would benefit from having one, and if you're trying to save money it's an even worse decision to go x58.

If you're worried about being able to use MS office or browse the internet, you can do that stuff fine on a smartphone, I guarantee you even in 5 years, you'll still be able to do that stuff on an i5-750.

Either way, 1366 or 1156, both socket types will be obsolete next year. 1156 will be replaced by Sandy Bridge and socket 1155 CPU's Q4 2010, 1366 by socket 1356 and x68 Sandy bridge CPU's Q3 2011.

New south bridge coming out Q4 will have Native SATA 6 USB 3 support. Also light peak support.

X68 is an entirely new chipset coming out next year with 1356.

Q4 2011 comes the 22nm die shrink. 2012 brings 22nm 8 cores.


Basically, there's no such thing as future proof, Intel tech especially moves too fast, and sockets get outdated after 2-3 years.

If you want a socket to last more than a couple years, then go AMD, socket AM3 will be around for a few years.

If you don't want to spend lots, then why not make a $800 build?

Swap out that PSU/GPU combo for a OCZ 550W 80+ and 5770 for $205 w/ $20 MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Bring's total down to $835 before $20 MIR.
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 8:10:28 PM

^ Haha the i7's always been my dream processor, that's why. Stupid, I know, and actually I probably will go with the Phenom II x6 1055T at this point. Same price as your i5-750 but still more powerful. Does that sound good then? I didn't know all that stuff with Intel's sockets so thanks for enlightening me, and you're right about the AM3 so I figured I might as well go with that.

Now I need to find a mobo that has all that with crossfire too...
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 8:12:20 PM

^oh and I'll probably use the money from the cheaper GPU for more RAM..
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 8:14:33 PM

hm. there don't seem to be any mobos with am3, 6gb/s SATA, usb 3.0, AND 4 pci-e slots...crap.
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 8:32:10 PM

Asus Crosshair IV Formula?

Unless you're doing 3D rendering, you would be better off with a Phenom II X4 955/965 than the 1090T X6. The X4s have higher clock speeds, and there are very very few programs out that use more than 2 cores right now.
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 8:33:51 PM

AMD SATA 6 USB 3 xfire Mobo's

Gigabyte
890x chipset $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

790x chipset $120 w/ $15 MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Asus
890x chipset $150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Anything more than 4gb isn't useful. 32 bit software is limited to 2gb of RAM unless you add a Large Address Aware header. Even then, in a 32 bit OS its limited to 3gb, 64 bit OS it's limited to 4gb.

The first, is a 32 bit software limitation, the second is OS limitation.

Almost everything today, and in the near future will be written in 32 bit, as long as people still use 32 bit OS's. Only big exception I can think of is graphics and engineering professionals.

You can always add more in the future if needed. RAM will only get cheaper.
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 8:38:16 PM

Also, why do you need 4 PCIe slots anyway?
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 9:23:18 PM

^^ I'm pretty sure Win7 hp can support up to 16gb ram, but you're right, I could always buy more. I've just been running Vista for the past few years and I never want to have issues with RAM again.

^ Don't I need 4 if I want to run xfire with GPUs that use x16?
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 9:33:53 PM

coldsleep said:
Asus Crosshair IV Formula?

Unless you're doing 3D rendering, you would be better off with a Phenom II X4 955/965 than the 1090T X6. The X4s have higher clock speeds, and there are very very few programs out that use more than 2 cores right now.


Ooo that is a nice motherboard right there.

I was under the impression that clock speeds aren't good indicators across different types of CPUs. HERE the x6 is ranked way higher than the x4-- a big gap that I'd gladly span for $40, especially thinking about a future where software starts using multiple cores more and more. I was thinking the 1055T x6 anyway, not the 1090.
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 9:43:16 PM

9t9redballoons said:
I was under the impression that clock speeds aren't good indicators across different types of CPUs.


Except that the X4 955/965 and the X6 are the same type of CPU. The X6 has more cores, but it's the same basic architecture.

[urlExt=http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html said:
HERE the x6 is ranked way higher than the x4-- a big gap that I'd gladly span for $40, especially thinking about a future where software starts using multiple cores more and more. I was thinking the 1055T x6 anyway, not the 1090.]HERE the x6 is ranked way higher than the x4-- a big gap that I'd gladly span for $40, especially thinking about a future where software starts using multiple cores more and more. I was thinking the 1055T x6 anyway, not the 1090.
[/urlExt]

Uh...that number means nothing in isolation. The X6s are better at highly-multi-threaded apps like 3D rendering and audio editing, but are worse/slower at poorly-threaded apps, including gaming.

Below are links to benchmarks of specific applications comparing the 955/965 and the 1055T. I could be misreading what you mean by "multitasking" in your original post, but unless those apps are things like Excel crunching away on something + a video transcode + an mp3 rip all at the same time, I don't think that you're going to see significant differences in day-to-day use between the X4 and the X6.

955 - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=147
965 - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=147
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 11:10:35 PM

^ What about encoding a lineup of videos while burning a cd, running 50+ tabs on a browser window, having flash animations running, and playing some game on and off, but running the whole time too?

But you're probably right. Especially since I'm not planning to OC, at least for a while, the 965 will probably be the best for me. 6 cores for $20-40 more just seems so tempting though... :'(  And I feel like if I waited a while, one would come out with 6 cores and still clock around 3.4ghz...but I can't wait that long.

Just wondering, would the 1055T be more comparable in performance with greater multitasking ability if I OC'ed it?
m
0
l
June 17, 2010 12:26:20 AM

But wait, if I am playing a game that makes use of multicores but maybe only up to 4, wouldn't a hexacore be good for running apps in the background then?
m
0
l
June 17, 2010 1:00:10 AM

Get a X4. By the time games/apps can really use more than 4 cores, Bulldozer will be out, and socket AM3 will get something faster (and quite possibly cheaper).
m
0
l
June 17, 2010 1:20:44 AM

9t9redballoons said:
^ What about encoding a lineup of videos while burning a cd, running 50+ tabs on a browser window, having flash animations running, and playing some game on and off, but running the whole time too?

But you're probably right. Especially since I'm not planning to OC, at least for a while, the 965 will probably be the best for me. 6 cores for $20-40 more just seems so tempting though... :'(  And I feel like if I waited a while, one would come out with 6 cores and still clock around 3.4ghz...but I can't wait that long.

Just wondering, would the 1055T be more comparable in performance with greater multitasking ability if I OC'ed it?



CD burning is limited by burner speed, not CPU. You can have 5,000 tabs open and use zero CPU power, it's all RAM. Flash isn't threaded. You're gonna do all that and game at the same time?

Honestly, you need to be realistic about what you're actually gonna do.

Outside gaming, the only thing there that's even remotely CPU bound is encoding, and even there it depends on what software. Either way, run it as a background app using good software and it doesn't matter if you're on a dual core, won't impact performance, just takes longer.

More cores is useless if the software isn't threaded. Outside professional workstation software and gaming, 99% of the stuff out there isn't well threaded. Even gaming barely benefits from more than 2 cores.
m
0
l
June 17, 2010 1:23:41 AM

^ Well yes, for individual games the x4 is definitely better, but I'm talking multitasking with several applications.

Say I'm converting a lineup of avi's into mpegs, running 50+ browser windows with flash animation in a few of them, burning a cd, running 10+ applications including those (including a virus scan), and playing Starcraft with everything else running in the background.

Now which one's better?
m
0
l
June 17, 2010 1:41:27 AM

^ Alright, that makes sense. And I was just giving an example of a heavy load I might use, just in case. The thing is that I never want to worry about lag again, after all the frustration I've had these past few years.

How much RAM do you think I should get then? Supposedly Win7 HP can support up to 16gb but I don't think I'll need THAT much...
m
0
l
June 17, 2010 1:55:11 AM

banthracis said:


Anything more than 4gb isn't useful. 32 bit software is limited to 2gb of RAM unless you add a Large Address Aware header. Even then, in a 32 bit OS its limited to 3gb, 64 bit OS it's limited to 4gb.

The first, is a 32 bit software limitation, the second is OS limitation.

Almost everything today, and in the near future will be written in 32 bit, as long as people still use 32 bit OS's. Only big exception I can think of is graphics and engineering professionals.

You can always add more in the future if needed. RAM will only get cheaper.


m
0
l
!