Sign in with
Your question

Help finding a pre-built system...kinda

Last response: in Systems
June 16, 2010 6:51:32 AM

Howdy All,

Got a new computer
and decided I wanted to convert my old one to a media center unit. Basically, I wanted to be able to stream movies to my HD TV, use Pandora, and other such things. So, I bought some components which I thought would bring my old system up to speed, but no joy. So now I am trying to find an inexpensive system I can put my components into to accomplish the above tasks. One of the things I bought was an ASUS EN9500gt 1g video card with HDMI. I also bought a new PSU. I don't want to build a new system from scratch, but would like to be able to use the parts I bought. Can anyone suggest where I can get a CPU, MOBO, tower combo? All I have seem come with a PSU, and I would hate to have to throw my old one away. Worst case scenario I could buy one with a crummy PSU and pitch it. Looking for something with at leat 3g ram, good processor, decent hard drive, and cd-rw. Again, using it as a media center for my HD TV. Also looking to spend only about $350.00.

Thanks much
June 16, 2010 4:37:08 PM

Hi
I would look at two things. Look at the combos newegg has here.

There is an amd combo that would suit your needs for a fair price, you could sell the parts you don't need locally on craigslist.

Also there are barebones systems here.

They may have something more in line with a HTPC build.

Ultimately you will have to put some work into this even if you don't want to build a new system. What you are suggesting is actually how a lot of us actually DO build new systems, especially for an HTPC pet project or a PC for a friend who is lacking one.
m
l
June 17, 2010 8:52:54 PM

buzznut said:
Hi
I would look at two things. Look at the combos newegg has here.

There is an amd combo that would suit your needs for a fair price, you could sell the parts you don't need locally on craigslist.

Also there are barebones systems here.

They may have something more in line with a HTPC build.

Ultimately you will have to put some work into this even if you don't want to build a new system. What you are suggesting is actually how a lot of us actually DO build new systems, especially for an HTPC pet project or a PC for a friend who is lacking one.

Thanks much!
m
l
!