Sign in with
Your question

New Hard Drive

Last response: in Storage
August 8, 2012 8:08:19 PM

Hi every one i,m just looking at getting a second hard drive for my PC ,i have a MSI k9n6PGM2-V MB . but when i have look at new hard drives some say that they are a 3.5 and some say they are a 2.5 what does this mean and how do i check which one i have and will need.

More about : hard drive

a b G Storage
August 8, 2012 8:31:37 PM

Usually laptops use 2.5" drives and desktops (as long as they aren't miniatures) will use 3.5", newer desktop cases usually have one or two places to put 2.5" drives as well.
The one exception is SSD hard drives, which are nearly always 2.5", but usually include an adapter that fits most generic 3.5" bays so you can use in a desktop that doesn't have 2.5" bays.

If this is going to be the main drive in your system, I'd recommend getting a 7200RPM drive of whatever size you need. The RPM helps it load files faster, and makes the computer more responsive than 5400RPM drives.

Samsung Spinpoint F3s are a pretty good model to go with (1TB, 7200RPM, good reliability) 99$. Don't worry about which version of SATA the drives support (you will be limited to SATA2 speeds, but you can use Sata3 drives).
August 8, 2012 8:57:15 PM

Many thanks for that that has help me a lot,so i can run a SATA2 or a SATA3 hard drive on my MB even thoe it say's SATA2 only.also do i have to set the Hard Drive to the master setting or will the PC do it for me.
Related resources
a b G Storage
August 8, 2012 9:04:50 PM

Master/Slave settings were for old IDE (ribbon cable) drives, the concept no longer exists.
It's all controlled by the computer. Just plug the drive in and either format it and install windows (or whatever), or assign it a drive letter from your existing OS and set it up to store your stuff.
August 8, 2012 10:12:25 PM

sorry for asking to many questions, but what about the Windows 7 which is on the old drive, do i just leave that on it or uninstall it. as the new drive will have W7 on as well.
August 8, 2012 10:22:03 PM

grenadier said:
sorry for asking to many questions, but what about the Windows 7 which is on the old drive, do i just leave that on it or uninstall it. as the new drive will have W7 on as well.

No, the second hard drive you put on the computer will not have windows 7. So you don't need to reinstall windows 7. You just need to plug your hard drive to a SATA port, and thats pretty much it. Its like plugging a USB flash drive. But make sure that Windows detects the hard drive.
August 8, 2012 10:36:44 PM

How do i check that windows has detected the hard drive.
a b G Storage
August 8, 2012 10:38:44 PM

It's up to you what you do. If you want to put windows 7 on the new drive (you have to put it there), unplug the old drive, do the install with just your new drive hooked up, then reattach the old drive; make sure you disable it in your BIOS boot menu if it still tries to boot to the old windows install.

Alternatively you can just put the new drive in and keep using the old windows install on your old drive. Just open disk management, partition and format the new raw drive and assign it a drive letter. (if you have enough ports to hook both drives and your cdrom up)
August 8, 2012 10:54:21 PM

thank you all for you help.

many thanks

Grenadier.
!