Sign in with
Your question

Thermaltake Silent 1156 sufficient for i7-870?

Last response: in CPUs
August 16, 2010 2:40:51 AM

I'm reading reviews about the Thermaltake silent 1156 cooler but many of them are reviewing the core i5.

I'm interested in using this for a 1156 motherboard with i7 870. Does anyone know if this can handle overclocking? Not extreme, just normal overclocking.

There doesn't appear to be many choices for 1156 coolers. i mean there are, but those are HUGE, expensive and loud.

I'll be using it in a mid size tower, antec 300.

If anyone has any comments about this cooler and the i7 I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you.
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 3:05:05 AM

The fact is for light OC, the stock Intel cooler would be fine.

That cooler isn't the best, fragile and ineffective push-pin, only 2 heat-pipes, and $30.

Consider this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Comes out to be $15AR, and performance is pretty nice.
m
l
August 16, 2010 3:38:31 AM

That one doesn't list the 1156 under compatibility.

I'm also looking at the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 now. It says it's i7 compatible and lists 1156.

It's kinda big and reviews say it's loud, I guess that's better than a fried chip.

I'm scared to use the stock cooler because almost all reviews claim it is rubbish.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 3:44:39 AM

You wont fry a chip using the stock cooler, just keep temps in check and scale back when you see it rise too high.

The Hyper 212 isnt worth it right now, its huge and expensive (Unless you find it for $30).

For the sunbeam, You can get a 1156 bracket here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . Though I think the new stock comes with one included.
m
l
August 16, 2010 3:51:08 AM

Found a Cool Master for $24.

Is the con only the size? I read in several forums that it fits (barely) in an antec 300.

How would you rate the cool master, the sunbeam, and thermaltake coolers?

I guess there hasn't been any innovation of coolers lately in anticipation of future processors that will probably be more efficient. It's kinda disappointing
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2010 4:08:22 AM

bapc said:
Found a Cool Master for $24.

Is the con only the size? I read in several forums that it fits (barely) in an antec 300.

How would you rate the cool master, the sunbeam, and thermaltake coolers?

I guess there hasn't been any innovation of coolers lately in anticipation of future processors that will probably be more efficient. It's kinda disappointing

Is it the original 212? If so its slightly larger and coolers somewhat worse.

the 300 fits a 212+ just fine with room to spare.

Out of the three, I would take the 212+ for $25 if it really were the + model and comes from a reputable reseller, if not consider for the Sunbeam. I really wont even think about the TT as the value really isnt that good.

Its not there are no new coolers coming out, its just the ones that did were mostly high-end.
m
l
August 16, 2010 4:28:59 AM

Gotcha, thanks, I'll forget about the Thermaltake.

Hmm, the Coolmaster appears to be the same. It says model Hyper 212 Plus. Here's a link:

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=ent...!ORDERID!

Btw, how do you feel about the Thermalright MUX-120 ?

It's going to cost under $50 so double of the Coolmaster, but the benchmarks show much more cooling and it's quiet. Is it worth it?

Appreciate your help.
m
l
!