Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Video Card not receiving power, any ideas please?

Last response: in Systems
June 16, 2010 10:20:35 AM

Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance for reading. A few days ago my computer's video card seemed to die, showing banded lines of color on my monitor, and then dying completely with the monitor receiving no signal and the motherboard beeping the "no video card" beep pattern. I tested the card in a different computer with the same result, so that card is definitely dead. Here's where the real problem begins:

I bought a new card, the Geforce GT 220, and installed that. The computer still beeped the "no video card" sound, and I noticed that the fan on the card was not spinning. I tested in another computer and it worked, so I thought that somehow my old card dying had damaged the PCIe x16 slot on the motherboard. I bought a new motherboard, and just now tried to install again...and it is still beeping the "no video card" sound, and the fan still is not running.

Does anyone know what could be happening? Is it possible that the power supply isn't giving enough power to the card? My PSU is a 430W Rosewill, the RV430 . I thought that the GT 220 is a low-power card, but I also read that it apparently requires 30A over the 12v rail, and that PSU seems to have one 12v at 14 and one 12v at 15. Could this really be causing the card to not even run?

If anyone has any input, please let me know, as I'm really out of ideas and don't know what else to do. Thank you for your time!

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
a c 235 V Motherboard
June 16, 2010 10:28:42 AM

It sounds like the PSU has faulted out and isn't strong enough for your GPU. Rosewill are very low quality PSU for the most part. I would recommend looking for a new PSU, as well.

a b B Homebuilt system
June 16, 2010 12:43:43 PM

I just want to second the new PSU recommendation. One with active PFC (which yours doesn't have), greater than 80% efficiency rating, and enough amps. The quality brands usually recommended are: pc power and cooling, Seasonic, Corsair, and Antec. This is based on reviews like those found on johnnyguru.com.

Here's one to consider:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
June 17, 2010 11:20:15 AM

It turns out a new power supply did solve the problem. Pretty weird that a 430W PSU can't run a low-power graphics card, though...thanks everyone.
m
l
June 17, 2010 11:20:31 AM

Best answer selected by Gilead.
m
l
!