Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best/cheapest way to play media files from an HDD to an Ipod/PC/PS3?

Last response: in Storage
August 9, 2012 1:01:52 AM

Hello to the community,. this is the first time I've posted in the forum.

First off, we have a PS3 Slim, some Ipod touch and Windows 7 PCs all connected to a 10/100 wireless router.

We have some movies (mixed HD/SD) stored on a 3.5" HDD, that we would like to play on the aforementioned devices.

The movies are encoded in H264/MKV (mostly the 1080P HD ones), and I've read that the PS3 doesn't support it- though it does with H264.
I really don't want to do on-the-fly transcoding for the PS3 since it would probably demand some processing HP, will simply remuxing the H264/MKV to H264/M2TS eliminate the transcoding?

Will an NAS with UPnP/DLNA work best? I find them very expensive and hard to justify.

I have a spare PC (Athlon II X3, 2GB RAM) lying around, can I use this for the aforementioned duties OR just sell it to buy an Intel atom (D2700) setup for lower power? Would an atom be enough to transcode 1080P videos for the iPods?

What programs do I need to do just that?

Sorry if I've been asking too much,. this is my first time in networking so I find other sources too hard to understand or too focused on a single aspect.

TIA

August 9, 2012 1:33:39 AM

PS3 won't play .MKV

You'd have to have a 3.55 firmware PS3 with Jailbreak to install Showtime and only THEN could you play anything you want, even over WiFi (By Media Sharing).

For your iPod, you can install "Air Video" app on iPod and the software on your computer to assign the files you want to share and you can play them "on the fly"

To other PC's just use windows to make a homegroup and enable sharing. Open Media Player and right click VIDEO on the left and add the folders which contain the media you want to share, then any iPod (with Air Video) or PC (connected to HomeGroup) can access those files.

There is another app "VLC Streamer Free" that should work same as Air Play, but I've only tried Air Play and liked it.

Anyway, you can just use your old PC to be the one sharing the files and you are all set and you wouldn't spend a single dollar.
August 9, 2012 1:52:35 AM

Whoa! Thanks alot!! Never heard about Showtime on the PS3,. the PS3 I bought is already Jailbroken (3.55 KMEAW if I remember correctly) included in the "package"- thats all they offer in the store,. but does connecting it to the internet disable the jailbreak? I won't be playing online nor intend to sign up for a PSN account.

About Air Video,. will it do just fine with 1080P videos?

TIA

Related resources

Best solution

August 9, 2012 1:59:31 AM

friskiest said:
Whoa! Thanks alot!! Never heard about Showtime on the PS3,. the PS3 I bought is already Jailbroken (3.55 KMEAW if I remember correctly) included in the "package"- thats all they offer in the store,. but does connecting it to the internet disable the jailbreak? I won't be playing online nor intend to sign up for a PSN account.

About Air Video,. will it do just fine with 1080P videos?

TIA

You can connect to the internet on the PS3 if you mean use the Browser, there is no problem. You just have to not update past 3.55 (which means no online gaming).

I wouldnt trade all the magic of 3.55 Jailbreak PS3 for all the Online Gaming in the world.

Just get the Showtime PKG installer and put it on a USB flash drive then use the INSTALL PKG in your Jailbreak console and you will see it reads Showtime installer, install it, and you are done. Showtime app will show under the VIDEO section on the PS3 UI.

You got a good deal with that PS3!

Just setup your HomeGroup sharing and when you enter Showtime you will see a windows logo which loads the videos off whichever PC is sharing the files. Showtime can read videos from USB drive too! Plus it can read subtitles. It is basically VLC player but for PS3.
August 9, 2012 3:31:02 AM

Best answer selected by friskiest.
August 9, 2012 3:33:21 AM

Thanks again,. I'll try to do that later,. but for now, I'll strip the PC of unnecessary components to reduce power.
!