shovenose

Distinguished
hello!
i am goinf to give psu reviewing a shot! i have a few questions though.

a. what do i need to do it?
b. what sort of load tester do i need?
c. how to i make the ripple (and etc graphs)?
d. how do i get the psus?
e. do i get to keep them after i review them?
f. do i get paid to do the reviews?
g. any other info, stuff i need?

i need the upfront costs to be very very low. thanks!

ares1214

Splendid
Something i recommend trying BEFORE PSU or any other high end component reviewing is fans. Yep, fans. Ive considered doing it myself, its extremely helpful to know what fans are the best, or even what fans are closest to their specs. To see if all the gimmicks or innovations actually help. PSU costs $50-200, fans cost $5-20. It also gets you used to and ready for bigger stuff. Just a recommendation. As far as i know:

A. you need a lot of stuff. to list a few, a computer, maybe a hotbox, obviously the psu, multimeters, definitely more things.
B. Check jonny guru reviews, he usually lists the stuff he uses, as do others.
C. No idea
D. Buy them or contact the manufacturer
E. Id guess no, but it depends on the manufacturer, but i highly doubt it.
F. Nope, not unless you arrange something, which is a bit much
G. What i said above. PSU's are a bit technical, might wanna start with something easier, but just as useful.

shovenose

Distinguished
Well fans are kinda boring. I guess i could do both psus and fans cuz then my site would get more views :)
Ok well i was wondering could i make my own load test thing, like a potentiometer and and a few resisters. The store where i would get this all would be electroics plus (in san rafael california).
I have a coolmax psu tester (one of those little cheap ones), a cheapo digital multimeter.

I dont want to apend $5000 on one of those bi sunmooms jonnyguru uses (my favorite psu site)...

You might want to sign on with one of the established review sites as an associate for a while.
Use their contacts and reputation to get your hands on the review items.
Sort of an apprenticeship. Being in the Bay area is going to be a plus.

4745454b

Titan
Probably prayer.

You can load up a PSU and use a watt a meter to show the load your putting on it. Use your mulit meter to show the voltages, etc. But it will all look very low end. Not much info will be learned. The guys WR2 listed don't use that stuff because they had a lot of $$$ to spend, but because thats a good way to test a PSU. If you can't afford that stuff, your probably better off finding something else to do.