Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H Upgraded from Radeon 4350 to 6850 Problems

fox_91

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Odd problem that I had posted once before about here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/f...rint=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

I just received a new PSU and new 6850 and decided to give the build another go.

I am having the same problem as I posted above, but let me recap since this is a different forum area;

GA-73PVM-S2H mobo with core 2 duo CPU
had a Radeon 4350 Videocard (PCI-E but no power leads or fans) that I was upgrading to a Radeon 6850 (1 Power lead and fan).
PSU RX-530SS

Everything plugged in with the 4350 and the system boots and works fine.

Install the 6850 and i get no video signal and the video card runs at full fan (sounds really loud)

Sent the 6850 out and got a replacement

Purchased a spare PSU to try

Same results... 4350 fine, 6850 jet plane and no work.

Mobo has onboard video with the system kicks over to after a few seconds, boots fine but of course doesn't detect the video card at all.

I have all the video drivers uninstalled before I tried the switch, but since this is a boot problem i doubt that it will impact.

I tried pulling the bios battery with no luck as well.

The only thing I can think to try still is replacing the motherboard, but I don't know for the life of me why the 6850 doens't work. I've tried it in my i7 machine and it works fine, but not this machine.

Any insight would be great!

baconsaus

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Same problem here..
Changed psu, upgraded bios. Even changed chassis. Nothing helps..

But the strange thing is; it worked for 5 days before this problem occured.

Asus have some new (feb10,2011) Intel chipset socket 775 mobos out, with USB3.. maybe I'll buy that.