Lots of Porblems

G

This is the first time I have posted here, and I didn't really know where to start. So if anyone has any suggestions of where this post could be better placed, email me. Anyway, here goes...
I just built myself a computer from scratch, and I have a ton of problems, namely installing software (Win2K, XP, various other applications). Below is my list of components:
MB - ABIT TH7II
CPU - P4 1.8(socket 478)
RAM - 512MB RAMBUS w/ ECC (2-256MB RIMMS)
HDD - 40GB WD, 100GB WD (both 7200 rpm)
CDRW - TDK 24x burner
DVD - Toshiba 16x
Sound - Creative Audigy MP3+
Video - ATI RADEON 64MB DDR, AGP version
Monitor - ViewSonic VG151 Flat panel

Guess that's about it. I can't load any operating system other than Win98. Tried loading Win2K and XP, but both give errors during setup (i.e. files can't be copied). I don't really know what else to say, for fear of this being too long. Please someone try to help me out. I need all the advice I can get.

Thanks,
Adam Leavitt

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have you tried installing Win2K or WinXP using boot disks, instead of directly from the CD? And if so, do you run into the same problem?

If you need the information:

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q197/0/63.asp?id=Q197063&sd=GN&fr=0&ln=EN-US" target="_new">http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q197/0/63.asp?id=Q197063&sd=GN&fr=0&ln=EN-US</A>

<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=33290" target="_new">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=33290</A>

<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=33291" target="_new">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=33291</A>

Where are you trying to install the second OS ... on the 100GB drive?

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=blue>"Does history record any case in which the majority was right?" ... Robert A. Heinlein</font color=blue>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
First of all, when I install the OS, I set the BIOS to boot from CD. Then either format, or cancel and type C: then fdisk. There's a little more to it, but your in the area. And a boot up disk should do the same, if you have the right one. So now you should have windows install, and from there you install all the drivers. Starting with the mobo, read the manual and make sure you put the right drives in. Also make sure the mobo setting are right and the BIOS is at default, over tweak could cause installing problems. Then install video drivers, sound card and so on. Hopefully there are no conflicks. Now, Y2K you do the same, but will be a little tougher, and xp might fight you all the way, needing to download any drivers you don't have and pray they work. Good luck.

defrage is child's play-fdisk

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmm it's november now.

Well I used to have those errors too while copying from the CD. But after setting the reading CD-ROM to PIO instead of UDMA, I think I managed to solve the problem. Hope that helps...

<<I Come And Go All The Time>>

G

I thoroughly recommend installing OSes from the HDD. It means that whenever the OS needs a setup file (often) you won't be asked either to put the CD in or point it to where the cab files are.

This way you should solve your install problem too. Just format (making a partition just for the cab files is best), put the cab files directory on the HDD and run setup.

<b>If it were up to me, twinings would make coffee</b>

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Errors copying setup files leads me to believe the CD may be scratched or you're using burnt disks.

If the latter is indeed the case, run a checksum on the .iso you burned from. If it is o.k, try a reburn at a slower speed & maybe a different brand of media to copy to.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
You know, I've seen this problem so many times I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't a real problem with w2k CD's.

A couple of easy sure fire fixes for ya...

Fdisk and format your boot drive, copy the i386 directory from the CD to the drive and then install from there. This is actually a pretty fast method of installing as well. When you get all done with the setup use the "convert" command to change the volume to NTFS.

This is a last resort method but will work:
do a clean win98 install and then upgrade off of it.

G

when i bulit my machine... I was having some seriuos problems installing software. Couldn't figure out what it was for the life of me. Turned out it was bad memory. 50 bucks later everything worked perfectly. Just an idea.
-Mike

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Hmm.. the thread is still alive!
I smell a possible problem here…

Firstbuilder failed to provide the full name of his motherboard, the ABIT TH7II <b>RAID</b> (one of the finest motherboard ABIT ever made), so he hadn’t accent that the motherboard had on-board Ultra DMA 100/RAID High Point HTP370 IDE Controller (not optional, it’s a standard equipment on ABIT TH7II RAID). I got suspicious when had read his note about “(both 7200 rpm)”, two equal harddidks. And that’s the most important thing to keep in mind at the beginning of OS installation. You should install the IDE controller drivers first, at the beginning point when the Windows install prompts for a driver for storage devices. Otherwise you are looking for trouble with the harddrives.

Yiffy is probably right, mentioning: “<font color=green>
<b>...Starting with the mobo, read the manual and make sure you put the right drives in...</b></font color=green>”

Bad memory? Not likely. In general, RAM is a very reliable component, especially RAMBUS that is always done by reputable manufaturers. Also, when having constant installation problems, it’s better to dismount and forget for a while about a CD-RW device and other fancy hardware if they are not in the (especially WinXP) compatibility list.
So, I would also suggest that ” ...make sure you put the right drives in”.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
"Errors copying setup files "

That's an overclocked processor that's o/c'd too far. Or it's a processor/chipset that's too hot.

Clock down first. Then install.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
<font color=green>"That's an overclocked processor that's o/c'd too far. Or it's a processor/chipset that's too hot."</font color=green>
Overclocking is the least possible, I think for this case. When you are having constant troubles with the installation of Windows on a brand new <b>P-4 @1800!!!</b> with plenty of RAM...
I don't believe that somebody would obdurately pursue to overclock the 1.8 GHz processor in this situation.

Unfortunately, Firstbuilder failed to provide enough details on his installation. It is possible to get the “The file blah..blah file is in use and <b>cannot be copied…</b>” error message during installation of Win2000/XP from Win98 session when other program(s) running.
You must close other program(s) prior Win2000/XP installation from Win98 session.

Heat might be the problem in some circumstances. Let me summarize. Hehe..If Firstbuilder could only tell us…It’s an interesting topic, anyway.
1 - I see, the box is loaded heavily enough, probably it is congested there (two HDD, CD-RW). I know one desktop computer, it’s <b>IBM 300PL that might create problems with reading from home-burned CDs because of CD-ROM overheating</b>. This model has a duct going from the CPU directly to the intact hole in the power supply. But there’s not enough air circulation inside the case and the CD-ROM is always overheated. In order to do installation from a copied CD I had to provide additional cooling.
2 - But the thing is, Firstbuilder is not having problems with his Win98 at all. That lets me think that his Win98 installation CD is good. Yes, just good. His another installations of Win2000 and WinXP were unsuccessful. Probably (sorry, I’m just guessing) the other CDs are not as good, as the Win98. Yes, I mean all his CDs are original copies, but the Win2000 and WinXP CDs are not as good as Win98 CD is.
3 – So, <b>insufficient cooling + bad CD = possible installation problem.</b>

What do you think? Anybody? OK, I'm waiting for the response from the original poster. :) <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NickM on 12/02/01 10:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Ejsmith, you know, probably you're right with <b>"That's an overclocked processor"!</b>
Do you remember the time when it was common for retailers to sell overclocked processors? They labeled them with "Warranty void if removed"? LOL! Intel didn't care about the removal, but the retailers did. Yes, it's interesting to check and know a real default speed for the processor. How to do it on P-4? With the Intel's CPUSpeed download? Or by the serial number? I'm afraid, Intel doesn't provide this info for the customers.

BTW, this Abit TH7II RAID motherboard is friendly for overclocking. But the problem is, it doesn't let play with the voltage. That might create instability and other problems for potential overclockers.