Unfinished business they said!

There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...

> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Guess what? I did it!!
>>
>> http://www.thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk/tomb/tomb.htm
>>
>> Woohoo!!!! :)
>>
>> --
>> Duncan
>
> Congrats man! Hm. Now you're ready for PW's "Deadly Sands"
> challenge!

You mean theres more?!?!?!?!

Duncan

> There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...
>
>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Guess what? I did it!!
>>>
>>> http://www.thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk/tomb/tomb.htm
>>>
>>> Woohoo!!!! :)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Duncan
>>
>> Congrats man! Hm. Now you're ready for PW's "Deadly Sands"
>> challenge!
>
> You mean theres more?!?!?!?!
>
> Duncan

Oh it's just something to do in the Egyptian (Shadow of the Cat) part of
the UB levels. :)
Interested?
McG.

There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...

> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...
>>
>>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Congrats man! Hm. Now you're ready for PW's "Deadly Sands"
>>> challenge!
>>
>> You mean theres more?!?!?!?!
>>
>> Duncan
>
> Oh it's just something to do in the Egyptian (Shadow of the Cat) part
> of the UB levels. :)
> Interested?

Sure!!

I thought the challange was getting out into the sands and finding the uzis
and zapping the couple of zombie things? Theres more to it than that?

> McG.

Duncan
Whos also been clambering about ON TOP of the Temple of the Cat in the
spirit of going places we shouldn't

> There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...
>
>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...

>>> You mean theres more?!?!?!?!
>>>
>>> Duncan
>>
>> Oh it's just something to do in the Egyptian (Shadow of the Cat) part
>> of the UB levels. :)
>> Interested?
>
> Sure!!
>
> I thought the challange was getting out into the sands and finding
> the uzis and zapping the couple of zombie things? Theres more to it
> than that?
>
>> McG.
>
> Duncan
> Whos also been clambering about ON TOP of the Temple of the Cat in the
> spirit of going places we shouldn't

Now THAT is what I'm talking about :)

Yep, out in the sand dunes, beyond the fences where we're not supposed
to go.... know that bridge ya gotta cross to get to the cat mummy and
then exit? You'll be down around the base of that :) But you'll find
deadly sands all around Lara.
We used to think there was this little oasis like out there, and some
treasures (pickups, health, ammo). Then we get to thinking it's a
mirage, or optical illusion. You go and tell us what you think. You
might end up getting the rest of us back out there :) Right PW, Gary?
McG.

> "Thunderchief" wrote:
>> There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...

>>> Oh it's just something to do in the Egyptian (Shadow of the Cat) part
>>> of the UB levels. :)
>>> Interested?
>>
>> Sure!!
>>
>> I thought the challange was getting out into the sands and finding
>> the uzis and zapping the couple of zombie things? Theres more to it
>> than that?
>>
>>> McG.
>>
>> Duncan
>> Whos also been clambering about ON TOP of the Temple of the Cat in the
>> spirit of going places we shouldn't
>
> Now THAT is what I'm talking about :)
>
> Yep, out in the sand dunes, beyond the fences where we're not supposed
> to go.... know that bridge ya gotta cross to get to the cat mummy and
> then exit? You'll be down around the base of that :) But you'll find
> deadly sands all around Lara.
> We used to think there was this little oasis like out there, and some
> treasures (pickups, health, ammo). Then we get to thinking it's a
> mirage, or optical illusion. You go and tell us what you think. You
> might end up getting the rest of us back out there :) Right PW, Gary?
> McG.

Man youse have a wicked memory!! lol

--
Ms T
ever changing calm

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
about 03/31/2005 07:57 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
<snip>>

> Now THAT is what I'm talking about :)
>
> Yep, out in the sand dunes, beyond the fences where we're not supposed
> to go.... know that bridge ya gotta cross to get to the cat mummy and
> then exit? You'll be down around the base of that :) But you'll find
> deadly sands all around Lara.
> We used to think there was this little oasis like out there, and some
> treasures (pickups, health, ammo). Then we get to thinking it's a
> mirage, or optical illusion. You go and tell us what you think. You
> might end up getting the rest of us back out there :) Right PW, Gary?
> McG.

Actually, Duncan, you covered *almost* everything in the deadly sands.

(a) There is one farther spot you can get to beyond that "cat block" you
were standing on. You'll know you're there when you "have your nose on
the stars" :)

(b) There is some desolate territory out beyond and to the right
(standing outside the fence with the uzi pool to your left)

Neither is much more than you've already done, so I doubt its worth the
time to go back. It's just that McG is right, I thought I saw something
beyond and to the left of the exit (as you face it from the bridge).
But I never found a safe path out there. I found the way out to the
"cat block" (and a bit beyond) trying to work my way around the edge of
the level to that mirage.

Temple of the Cat:

Getting on top of the pyramid ... child's play ... but still cool to
stand floating in mid air looking *through* the walls.

Assuming you live long enough (that was a *deadly* level), you need to
get on top of the large pillar to the left as you stand at the big doors
in the pyramid and look out over the pool. That one took me a *while*
to accomplish.

---
PW

There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...

> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...
>>
>>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Oh it's just something to do in the Egyptian (Shadow of the Cat)
>>> part of the UB levels. :)
>>> Interested?
>>
>> Sure!!
>>
>> I thought the challange was getting out into the sands and finding
>> the uzis and zapping the couple of zombie things? Theres more to it
>> than that?
>>
>>> McG.
>>
>> Duncan
>> Whos also been clambering about ON TOP of the Temple of the Cat in
>> the spirit of going places we shouldn't
>
> Now THAT is what I'm talking about :)
>
> Yep, out in the sand dunes, beyond the fences where we're not supposed
> to go.... know that bridge ya gotta cross to get to the cat mummy and
> then exit? You'll be down around the base of that :) But you'll find
> deadly sands all around Lara.
> We used to think there was this little oasis like out there, and some
> treasures (pickups, health, ammo). Then we get to thinking it's a
> mirage, or optical illusion. You go and tell us what you think. You
> might end up getting the rest of us back out there :) Right PW, Gary?

Dude!! Click on my link! Theres piccies from ALL around that area!!!!

http://www.thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk/tomb/tomb.htm

> McG.

Duncan

There I was, minding my own business, when Pistol Whipped said...

> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
> about 03/31/2005 07:57 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> <snip>>
>>
>> Now THAT is what I'm talking about :)
>>
>> Yep, out in the sand dunes, beyond the fences where we're not
>> supposed to go.... know that bridge ya gotta cross to get to the cat
>> mummy and then exit? You'll be down around the base of that :) But
>> you'll find deadly sands all around Lara.
>> We used to think there was this little oasis like out there, and some
>> treasures (pickups, health, ammo). Then we get to thinking it's a
>> mirage, or optical illusion. You go and tell us what you think. You
>> might end up getting the rest of us back out there :) Right PW,
>> Gary? McG.
>>

> Actually, Duncan, you covered *almost* everything in the deadly sands.
>
> (a) There is one farther spot you can get to beyond that "cat block"
> you were standing on. You'll know you're there when you "have your
> nose on the stars" :)
>
> (b) There is some desolate territory out beyond and to the right
> (standing outside the fence with the uzi pool to your left)
>
> Neither is much more than you've already done, so I doubt its worth
> the time to go back. It's just that McG is right, I thought I saw
> something beyond and to the left of the exit (as you face it from
> the bridge). But I never found a safe path out there. I found the
> way out to the "cat block" (and a bit beyond) trying to work my way
> around the edge of the level to that mirage.

Mmmm.....I think I still got my save for that. I'll go and have another
look....

> Temple of the Cat:
>
> Getting on top of the pyramid ... child's play ... but still cool to
> stand floating in mid air looking *through* the walls.

Jumping back down from the top of there was kinda fraught with "WAAAGH!!!"

> Assuming you live long enough (that was a *deadly* level), you need to
> get on top of the large pillar to the left as you stand at the big
> doors in the pyramid and look out over the pool. That one took me a
> *while* to accomplish.

Thats even possible?!?! Jeeez!!!!

> ---
> PW

Duncan

> There I was, minding my own business, when Pistol Whipped said...
>
>> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
>> about 03/31/2005 07:57 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> <snip>>
>>>
>>> Now THAT is what I'm talking about :)
>>>
>>> Yep, out in the sand dunes, beyond the fences where we're not
>>> supposed to go.... know that bridge ya gotta cross to get to the cat
>>> mummy and then exit? You'll be down around the base of that :) But
>>> you'll find deadly sands all around Lara.
>>> We used to think there was this little oasis like out there, and
>>> some treasures (pickups, health, ammo). Then we get to thinking
>>> it's a mirage, or optical illusion. You go and tell us what you
>>> think. You might end up getting the rest of us back out there :)
>>> Right PW, Gary? McG.
>>>

>> Actually, Duncan, you covered *almost* everything in the deadly
>> sands.
>>
>> (a) There is one farther spot you can get to beyond that "cat block"
>> you were standing on. You'll know you're there when you "have your
>> nose on the stars" :)
>>
>> (b) There is some desolate territory out beyond and to the right
>> (standing outside the fence with the uzi pool to your left)
>>
>> Neither is much more than you've already done, so I doubt its worth
>> the time to go back. It's just that McG is right, I thought I saw
>> something beyond and to the left of the exit (as you face it from
>> the bridge). But I never found a safe path out there. I found the
>> way out to the "cat block" (and a bit beyond) trying to work my way
>> around the edge of the level to that mirage.
>
> Mmmm.....I think I still got my save for that. I'll go and have
> another look....
>

>> Temple of the Cat:
>>
>> Getting on top of the pyramid ... child's play ... but still cool to
>> stand floating in mid air looking *through* the walls.
>
> Jumping back down from the top of there was kinda fraught with
> "WAAAGH!!!"
>

>> Assuming you live long enough (that was a *deadly* level), you need
>> to get on top of the large pillar to the left as you stand at the big
>> doors in the pyramid and look out over the pool. That one took me a
>> *while* to accomplish.
>
> Thats even possible?!?! Jeeez!!!!

It's not easy, but it *IS* possible :)
McG.

> There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...
>
>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...

>>> Sure!!
>>>
>>> I thought the challange was getting out into the sands and finding
>>> the uzis and zapping the couple of zombie things? Theres more to it
>>> than that?

>>> Duncan
>>> Whos also been clambering about ON TOP of the Temple of the Cat in
>>> the spirit of going places we shouldn't
>>
>> Now THAT is what I'm talking about :)
>>
>> Yep, out in the sand dunes, beyond the fences where we're not
>> supposed to go.... know that bridge ya gotta cross to get to the cat
>> mummy and then exit? You'll be down around the base of that :) But
>> you'll find deadly sands all around Lara.
>> We used to think there was this little oasis like out there, and some
>> treasures (pickups, health, ammo). Then we get to thinking it's a
>> mirage, or optical illusion. You go and tell us what you think. You
>> might end up getting the rest of us back out there :) Right PW,
>> Gary?
>
> Dude!! Click on my link! Theres piccies from ALL around that area!!!!
>
> http://www.thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk/tomb/tomb.htm
>

>> McG.
>
> Duncan

Wow, looks just like some of our posts from the deadly sands challenge.
You've already done the stuff PW was talking about :) Good Job Duncan
[hands him a medal, pumps his hand vigorously, salutes him!]
In the 4th pic (2nd from top on right) you can see what I think is what
we were thinking was that 'oasis'.
Oh right, there *were* 3 black panthers out there. Or there appeared to
be. I got two. I think we got to figureing you could only GET two and
the third was then un-doable?
I see ya got up on top with that cat-block too. You thought there
shoulda been some kinda pickups up there, I think we did too ;) I don't
see the two dead-again cat mummies laying around, did you get them?
Those Uzis are useful out there :)
We really did the deadly sands thing cause it was fun :) And it looked
like there coulda been something more out there. But appearances are
deceiving sometimes. Part of the fun was that there were a few of us
checking it out together. Closest you can get to multiplayer in
Tombraider :)
McG.

"Ms T" <anthropoid@humanlike.not> wrote in message
>> "Thunderchief" wrote:
>>> There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...

>>> Sure!!
>>>
>>> I thought the challange was getting out into the sands and finding
>>> the uzis and zapping the couple of zombie things? Theres more to it
>>> than that?

>>> Duncan
>>> Whos also been clambering about ON TOP of the Temple of the Cat in
>>> the spirit of going places we shouldn't
>>
>> Now THAT is what I'm talking about :)
>>
>> Yep, out in the sand dunes, beyond the fences where we're not
>> supposed to go.... know that bridge ya gotta cross to get to the cat
>> mummy and then exit? You'll be down around the base of that :) But
>> you'll find deadly sands all around Lara.
>> We used to think there was this little oasis like out there, and some
>> treasures (pickups, health, ammo). Then we get to thinking it's a
>> mirage, or optical illusion. You go and tell us what you think. You
>> might end up getting the rest of us back out there :) Right PW,
>> Gary? McG.
>
> Man youse have a wicked memory!! lol

It's the Folgers :)
McG.

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...
> >
> >> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> >> Oh it's just something to do in the Egyptian (Shadow of the Cat) part
> >> of the UB levels. :)
> >> Interested?
> >
> > Sure!!
> >
> > I thought the challange was getting out into the sands and finding
> > the uzis and zapping the couple of zombie things? Theres more to it
> > than that?
> >
> >> McG.
> >
> > Duncan
> > Whos also been clambering about ON TOP of the Temple of the Cat in the
> > spirit of going places we shouldn't
>
> Now THAT is what I'm talking about :)

Are we talking about the corner bug? ;) Or have you found a
"legitimate" way of getting up there?

> Yep, out in the sand dunes, beyond the fences where we're not supposed
> to go.... know that bridge ya gotta cross to get to the cat mummy and
> then exit? You'll be down around the base of that :) But you'll find
> deadly sands all around Lara.
> We used to think there was this little oasis like out there, and some
> treasures (pickups, health, ammo).

There are! Remember that pond out there?

> Then we get to thinking it's a
> mirage, or optical illusion. You go and tell us what you think. You
> might end up getting the rest of us back out there :) Right PW, Gary?
> McG.

Oh yeah, some of us spent a fair amount of time exploring that area. :)

It seems you can get within around 10 or 15 squares of the outer
boundary (if memory serves) before you hit any of the deadly sands,
but there are exceptions (you can get right up against the boundary
in some spots), and that still leaves much to be explored. You can
get around the temple on the west side (I've always thought of the
temple exit as north for some reason--so you'd ultimately go out and
left (west) to get to the exit). There are some blocks out there you
can just barely reach. And you can get a better view of the pyramid
out there.

Of course, the main thing is getting out there *legally*. That is,
not using the fence bug. It can be done with a fancy jump near the
exit, but you have to do one of those physics-defying turn-in-mid-air
maneuvers, which feels to me just like using the fence bug. There's
this trench you run through to get to the exit. Some say you can
jump and climb over the ridge at one spot there, but I've never done it.

-- G

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...

>>> Sure!!
>>>
>>> I thought the challange was getting out into the sands and finding
>>> the uzis and zapping the couple of zombie things? Theres more to it
>>> than that?

>>> Duncan
>>> Whos also been clambering about ON TOP of the Temple of the Cat in
>>> the spirit of going places we shouldn't
>>
>> Now THAT is what I'm talking about :)
>
> Are we talking about the corner bug? ;) Or have you found a
> "legitimate" way of getting up there?
>
>> Yep, out in the sand dunes, beyond the fences where we're not
>> supposed to go.... know that bridge ya gotta cross to get to the cat
>> mummy and then exit? You'll be down around the base of that :) But
>> you'll find deadly sands all around Lara.
>> We used to think there was this little oasis like out there, and some
>> treasures (pickups, health, ammo).
>
> There are! Remember that pond out there?
>
>> Then we get to thinking it's a
>> mirage, or optical illusion. You go and tell us what you think. You
>> might end up getting the rest of us back out there :) Right PW,
>> Gary? McG.
>
> Oh yeah, some of us spent a fair amount of time exploring that area.
> :)
>
> It seems you can get within around 10 or 15 squares of the outer
> boundary (if memory serves) before you hit any of the deadly sands,
> but there are exceptions (you can get right up against the boundary
> in some spots), and that still leaves much to be explored. You can
> get around the temple on the west side (I've always thought of the
> temple exit as north for some reason--so you'd ultimately go out and
> left (west) to get to the exit). There are some blocks out there you
> can just barely reach. And you can get a better view of the pyramid
> out there.
>
> Of course, the main thing is getting out there *legally*. That is,
> not using the fence bug. It can be done with a fancy jump near the
> exit, but you have to do one of those physics-defying turn-in-mid-air
> maneuvers, which feels to me just like using the fence bug. There's
> this trench you run through to get to the exit. Some say you can
> jump and climb over the ridge at one spot there, but I've never done
> it.
>
> -- G

I thought either you or PW had found a block with fence on both sides
you could flip onto and just walk out there? And another place you can
literally just walk out there? I recall finding it by swan diving into
the base of the fence at a texture joint. Lara just pops up on the
other side :) And there's the ridge. That's a low block jump I think.
It's also where you meet the cat mummies :) The other side of the ridge
drops into sort of a road or trough like. The fact there ARE things out
there says to me that it is expected we will at least make a show up in
the area!
I recall now. It all started with that talk on 'easter eggs' and 'the
dopefish' . Ha!
McG.

There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...

<a little light snipping...>

>> Dude!! Click on my link! Theres piccies from ALL around that area!!!!
>>
>> http://www.thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk/tomb/tomb.htm
>>

>>> McG.
>>
>> Duncan
>
> Wow, looks just like some of our posts from the deadly sands
> challenge. You've already done the stuff PW was talking about :)
> Good Job Duncan [hands him a medal, pumps his hand vigorously,
> salutes him!]

Woohoo!! ;-)

> In the 4th pic (2nd from top on right) you can see what I think is
> what we were thinking was that 'oasis'.
> Oh right, there *were* 3 black panthers out there. Or there appeared
> to be. I got two. I think we got to figureing you could only GET
> two and the third was then un-doable?

I got...<thinks hard> 2, IIRC. I think the one I got near where I snuck
in, was a real fluke shot from the legit side of the fence.

> I see ya got up on top with that cat-block too. You thought there
> shoulda been some kinda pickups up there, I think we did too ;) I
> don't see the two dead-again cat mummies laying around, did you get
> them? Those Uzis are useful out there :)

Wasn't there 3? Mmm....Possibly only 2, one of 'em really liked to hug the
'stars' way over on the opposite side to the exit. Damn pesky running about
thing...

> We really did the deadly sands thing cause it was fun :) And it
> looked like there coulda been something more out there. But
> appearances are deceiving sometimes. Part of the fun was that there
> were a few of us checking it out together. Closest you can get to
> multiplayer in Tombraider :)
> McG.

:)
Duncan

There I was, minding my own business, when Gary Mitchell said...

> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...

>>> Sure!!
>>>
>>> I thought the challange was getting out into the sands and finding
>>> the uzis and zapping the couple of zombie things? Theres more to it
>>> than that?

>>> Duncan
>>> Whos also been clambering about ON TOP of the Temple of the Cat in
>>> the spirit of going places we shouldn't
>>
>> Now THAT is what I'm talking about :)
>
> Are we talking about the corner bug? ;) Or have you found a
> "legitimate" way of getting up there?

Heh. That corner bug...I've never got that to work. I guess it was a
variation of the bug, which I *was* trying to get to work, but then I just
slipped through the fence where the textures meet, 1 square to the left of
the corner.

>> Yep, out in the sand dunes, beyond the fences where we're not
>> supposed to go.... know that bridge ya gotta cross to get to the cat
>> mummy and then exit? You'll be down around the base of that :) But
>> you'll find deadly sands all around Lara.

>> We used to think there was this little oasis like out there, and some
>> treasures (pickups, health, ammo).
>
> There are! Remember that pond out there?
>
>> Then we get to thinking it's a
>> mirage, or optical illusion. You go and tell us what you think. You
>> might end up getting the rest of us back out there :) Right PW,
>> Gary? McG.
>
> Oh yeah, some of us spent a fair amount of time exploring that area.
> :)
>
> It seems you can get within around 10 or 15 squares of the outer
> boundary (if memory serves) before you hit any of the deadly sands,
> but there are exceptions (you can get right up against the boundary
> in some spots), and that still leaves much to be explored. You can
> get around the temple on the west side (I've always thought of the
> temple exit as north for some reason--so you'd ultimately go out and
> left (west) to get to the exit). There are some blocks out there you
> can just barely reach. And you can get a better view of the pyramid
> out there.

> Of course, the main thing is getting out there *legally*. That is,
> not using the fence bug. It can be done with a fancy jump near the
> exit, but you have to do one of those physics-defying turn-in-mid-air
> maneuvers, which feels to me just like using the fence bug.

I got over to the 'temple' from the bridge near the exit. I couldn't find a
way through the dunes (near the 'pyramids') without dying.

> There's
> this trench you run through to get to the exit. Some say you can
> jump and climb over the ridge at one spot there, but I've never done
> it.

Tell you what, though....even now with loads of ammo, I've not used my Uzis
yet! :)

> -- G

Duncan

> "Ms T" <anthropoid@humanlike.not> wrote in message

>>> Now THAT is what I'm talking about :)
>>>
>>> Yep, out in the sand dunes, beyond the fences where we're not
>>> supposed to go.... know that bridge ya gotta cross to get to the cat
>>> mummy and then exit? You'll be down around the base of that :) But
>>> you'll find deadly sands all around Lara.
>>> We used to think there was this little oasis like out there, and some
>>> treasures (pickups, health, ammo). Then we get to thinking it's a
>>> mirage, or optical illusion. You go and tell us what you think. You
>>> might end up getting the rest of us back out there :) Right PW,
>>> Gary? McG.
>>
>> Man youse have a wicked memory!! lol
>
> It's the Folgers :)
> McG.

<snerk> If you say so. lol ;)

--
Ms T
ever changing calm

> There I was, minding my own business, when Pistol Whipped said...
>
>> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
>> about 03/31/2005 07:57 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> <snip>>
>>>
>>> Now THAT is what I'm talking about :)
>>>
>>> Yep, out in the sand dunes, beyond the fences where we're not
>>> supposed to go.... know that bridge ya gotta cross to get to the cat
>>> mummy and then exit? You'll be down around the base of that :) But
>>> you'll find deadly sands all around Lara.
>>> We used to think there was this little oasis like out there, and some
>>> treasures (pickups, health, ammo). Then we get to thinking it's a
>>> mirage, or optical illusion. You go and tell us what you think. You
>>> might end up getting the rest of us back out there :) Right PW,
>>> Gary? McG.
>>>

>> Actually, Duncan, you covered *almost* everything in the deadly sands.
>>
>> (a) There is one farther spot you can get to beyond that "cat block"
>> you were standing on. You'll know you're there when you "have your
>> nose on the stars" :)
>>
>> (b) There is some desolate territory out beyond and to the right
>> (standing outside the fence with the uzi pool to your left)
>>
>> Neither is much more than you've already done, so I doubt its worth
>> the time to go back. It's just that McG is right, I thought I saw
>> something beyond and to the left of the exit (as you face it from
>> the bridge). But I never found a safe path out there. I found the
>> way out to the "cat block" (and a bit beyond) trying to work my way
>> around the edge of the level to that mirage.
>
> Mmmm.....I think I still got my save for that. I'll go and have another
> look....
>

>> Temple of the Cat:
>>
>> Getting on top of the pyramid ... child's play ... but still cool to
>> stand floating in mid air looking *through* the walls.
>
> Jumping back down from the top of there was kinda fraught with "WAAAGH!!!"
>

>> Assuming you live long enough (that was a *deadly* level), you need to
>> get on top of the large pillar to the left as you stand at the big
>> doors in the pyramid and look out over the pool. That one took me a
>> *while* to accomplish.
>
> Thats even possible?!?! Jeeez!!!!

<eagerly awaiting reply> lol

--
Ms T
ever changing calm

Thunderchief wrote:

> There I was, minding my own business, when Gary Mitchell said...
>
> > McGrandpa wrote:
> >>
> >> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> >> Now THAT is what I'm talking about :)
> >
> > Are we talking about the corner bug? ;) Or have you found a
> > "legitimate" way of getting up there?
>
> Heh. That corner bug...I've never got that to work.

Really? It can be a little tricky to position Lara just right,
but it's not that hard. Once you've done it a couple of times,
it's fairly easy. (I presume you've already read how to do it.)

The first time I tried it was at Lara's house... and went running
around all over the roof. :) I tried to use it in Highland Fling
(TR LA) to get into Nessy's ocean (jumping from the corner of the
castle tower), but never could manage to get out there without using
a position editor.

-- G

> [...]
> yet! :)
>

> > -- G
>
> Duncan

> Thunderchief wrote:
>> There I was, minding my own business, when Gary Mitchell said...

>>> Are we talking about the corner bug? ;) Or have you found a
>>> "legitimate" way of getting up there?
>>
>> Heh. That corner bug...I've never got that to work.
>
> Really? It can be a little tricky to position Lara just right,
> but it's not that hard. Once you've done it a couple of times,
> it's fairly easy. (I presume you've already read how to do it.)
>
> The first time I tried it was at Lara's house... and went running
> around all over the roof. :) I tried to use it in Highland Fling
> (TR LA) to get into Nessy's ocean (jumping from the corner of the
> castle tower), but never could manage to get out there without using

I had the same experience as G man states above. What platform are you
using? I recall way back when /some/ folks were not able to make that "bug"
work for them but don't recall the circumstances now.

>> I guess it was a
>> variation of the bug, which I *was* trying to get to work, but then I
>> just slipped through the fence where the textures meet, 1 square to the
>> left of the corner.

Cool! lol

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > McGrandpa wrote:
> >>
> >> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> >> Now THAT is what I'm talking about :)
> >
> > Are we talking about the corner bug? ;) Or have you found a
> > "legitimate" way of getting up there?
> >
> >> Yep, out in the sand dunes, beyond the fences where we're not
> >> supposed to go.... know that bridge ya gotta cross to get to the cat
> >> mummy and then exit? You'll be down around the base of that :) But
> >> you'll find deadly sands all around Lara.
> >> We used to think there was this little oasis like out there, and some
> >> treasures (pickups, health, ammo).
> >
> > There are! Remember that pond out there?
> >
> >> Then we get to thinking it's a
> >> mirage, or optical illusion. You go and tell us what you think. You
> >> might end up getting the rest of us back out there :) Right PW,
> >> Gary? McG.
> >
> > Oh yeah, some of us spent a fair amount of time exploring that area.
> > :)
> >
> > It seems you can get within around 10 or 15 squares of the outer
> > boundary (if memory serves) before you hit any of the deadly sands,
> > but there are exceptions (you can get right up against the boundary
> > in some spots), and that still leaves much to be explored. You can
> > get around the temple on the west side (I've always thought of the
> > temple exit as north for some reason--so you'd ultimately go out and
> > left (west) to get to the exit). There are some blocks out there you
> > can just barely reach. And you can get a better view of the pyramid
> > out there.
> >
> > Of course, the main thing is getting out there *legally*. That is,
> > not using the fence bug. It can be done with a fancy jump near the
> > exit, but you have to do one of those physics-defying turn-in-mid-air
> > maneuvers, which feels to me just like using the fence bug. There's
> > this trench you run through to get to the exit. Some say you can
> > jump and climb over the ridge at one spot there, but I've never done
> > it.
> >
> > -- G
>
> I thought either you or PW had found a block with fence on both sides
> you could flip onto and just walk out there?

Aside from the fence bug, I don't recall that.

> And another place you can
> literally just walk out there? I recall finding it by swan diving into
> the base of the fence at a texture joint. Lara just pops up on the
> other side :)

That's the fence bug. You don't have to do any diving, just run at the
point where the fence meets the block. If you hit that point just right,
Lara simply runs on through.

I have a hypothesis on that... Lara is really only a slender cylinder.
That's how parts of her body can get into walls (like when you do the
corner bug). That "Lara cylinder" is narrow enough to go through the
gap between the fence and the block. It may be that there many other
gaps we could go through.

> And there's the ridge. That's a low block jump I think.
> It's also where you meet the cat mummies :) The other side of the ridge
> drops into sort of a road or trough like.

I think it was you who originally talked about there being a way
along in that area somewhere, but I've never found it. I remember
at The Crash Site, there is one spot where you can climb up on the
airplane. Is it something like that?

> The fact there ARE things out
> there says to me that it is expected we will at least make a show up in
> the area!

I always though that we were supposed to go out there--originally,
but they weren't able to finish (time pressure or whatever), and so
just closed it off. I understand they did a *lot* of that in TRAoD.

-- G

> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> Are we talking about the corner bug? ;) Or have you found a
>>> "legitimate" way of getting up there?

>>> There are! Remember that pond out there?

>>> Oh yeah, some of us spent a fair amount of time exploring that area.
>>> :)
>>>
>>> It seems you can get within around 10 or 15 squares of the outer
>>> boundary (if memory serves) before you hit any of the deadly sands,
>>> but there are exceptions (you can get right up against the boundary
>>> in some spots), and that still leaves much to be explored. You can
>>> get around the temple on the west side (I've always thought of the
>>> temple exit as north for some reason--so you'd ultimately go out and
>>> left (west) to get to the exit). There are some blocks out there
>>> you can just barely reach. And you can get a better view of the
>>> pyramid out there.
>>>
>>> Of course, the main thing is getting out there *legally*. That is,
>>> not using the fence bug. It can be done with a fancy jump near the
>>> exit, but you have to do one of those physics-defying
>>> turn-in-mid-air maneuvers, which feels to me just like using the
>>> fence bug. There's this trench you run through to get to the exit.
>>> Some say you can jump and climb over the ridge at one spot there,
>>> but I've never done it.
>>>
>>> -- G
>>
>> I thought either you or PW had found a block with fence on both sides
>> you could flip onto and just walk out there?
>
> Aside from the fence bug, I don't recall that.
>
>> And another place you can
>> literally just walk out there? I recall finding it by swan diving
>> into the base of the fence at a texture joint. Lara just pops up on
>> the other side :)
>
> That's the fence bug. You don't have to do any diving, just run at
> the point where the fence meets the block. If you hit that point
> just right, Lara simply runs on through.

I misworded that. I thought there was literally a gap in the fence out
to the sand. It's probably to a 2nd fenced area though.

> I have a hypothesis on that... Lara is really only a slender
> cylinder. That's how parts of her body can get into walls (like when
> you do the corner bug). That "Lara cylinder" is narrow enough to go
> through the gap between the fence and the block. It may be that
> there many other gaps we could go through.

Oh right, like a "hit box" in lots of other games, kinda defines point
of collision. Laras IS rather narrow compared to the visible whole of
the model.

>> And there's the ridge. That's a low block jump I think.
>> It's also where you meet the cat mummies :) The other side of the
>> ridge drops into sort of a road or trough like.
>
> I think it was you who originally talked about there being a way
> along in that area somewhere, but I've never found it. I remember
> at The Crash Site, there is one spot where you can climb up on the
> airplane. Is it something like that?

Well, it looks like a road to me. Maybe they used it as the way to drag
all those blocks up to build the structures :) The ridges start low,
and get higher. If you start your run on top of the ridge its how you
get atop that low block PW talks about. Its how I got there anyway.

>> The fact there ARE things out
>> there says to me that it is expected we will at least make a show up
>> in the area!
>
> I always though that we were supposed to go out there--originally,
> but they weren't able to finish (time pressure or whatever), and so
> just closed it off. I understand they did a *lot* of that in TRAoD.

Using the fly cheat in AoD, you can see there is a lot of stuff there
you can't get to in-game. Just closed off to us. But, lots of stuff is
still there, unused. I've flown in, stopped the cheat, run around a
couple of those areas. Everything went fine until Lara went through an
exit point, and the game crashed of course. Script ended abruptly with
noplace to go next.
But the Deadly Sands areas, maybe they just didn't remember to close it
all off properly.
McG.

> -- G
>
>> I recall now. It all started with that talk on 'easter eggs' and
>> 'the dopefish' . Ha!
>> McG.

TRENDING THREADS