Newbie to laptop

Hi all,
I am thinking of buying a USED HP laptop to try out. (never owned a laptop)
I found one with an 1100 processor and that's not so great
but ok with me for starting out. Since I am new to laptops I am
wondering what all is involved in changing the processor and
memory out for an upgrade. Is this a computer shop ONLY type
upgrade being as I am not a technician?

I have assembled a few desktop computers in the past ....
and by that I mean buying a box, processor, motherboard, CDRom,
sound card, etc.....and put them all together.

Thanks for your help
Alan
7 answers Last reply
More about newbie laptop

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:24:03 -0500, "Poinky Doinker"
    <Poinky_Doinker@YourHouse.Now> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >I am thinking of buying a USED HP laptop to try out. (never owned a laptop)
    >I found one with an 1100 processor and that's not so great
    >but ok with me for starting out. Since I am new to laptops I am
    >wondering what all is involved in changing the processor and
    >memory out for an upgrade. Is this a computer shop ONLY type
    >upgrade being as I am not a technician?
    >
    >I have assembled a few desktop computers in the past ....
    >and by that I mean buying a box, processor, motherboard, CDRom,
    >sound card, etc.....and put them all together.
    >
    >Thanks for your help
    >Alan

    Alan,

    In general, laptops are not upgradable at all, even by computer shops,
    at the processor level. (Some are, to a slightly faster processor, but
    not a major change). Memory can generally be added to by the user. A
    good place to check is www.crucial.com. Enter the details on your
    laptop and the web site will tell you what you can add.
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    "Poinky Doinker" <Poinky_Doinker@YourHouse.Now> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I am thinking of buying a USED HP laptop to try out. (never owned a
    > laptop)
    > I found one with an 1100 processor and that's not so great
    > but ok with me for starting out. Since I am new to laptops I am
    > wondering what all is involved in changing the processor and
    > memory out for an upgrade. Is this a computer shop ONLY type
    > upgrade being as I am not a technician?
    >
    > I have assembled a few desktop computers in the past ....
    > and by that I mean buying a box, processor, motherboard, CDRom,
    > sound card, etc.....and put them all together.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    > Alan

    With the current laptop glut and prices as low as 700 USD it makes sense
    to purchase used if the unit is very inexpensive and has a decent return
    policy. Look around at major vendor sites for refurbished also. Used
    laptops are a risky purchase.

    "Charlie" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:24:03 -0500, "Poinky Doinker"
    > <Poinky_Doinker@YourHouse.Now> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>I am thinking of buying a USED HP laptop to try out. (never owned a
    >>laptop)
    >>I found one with an 1100 processor and that's not so great
    >>but ok with me for starting out. Since I am new to laptops I am
    >>wondering what all is involved in changing the processor and
    >>memory out for an upgrade. Is this a computer shop ONLY type
    >>upgrade being as I am not a technician?
    >>
    >>I have assembled a few desktop computers in the past ....
    >>and by that I mean buying a box, processor, motherboard, CDRom,
    >>sound card, etc.....and put them all together.
    >>
    >>Thanks for your help
    >>Alan
    >>

    > Alan,
    >
    > In general, laptops are not upgradable at all, even by computer shops,
    > at the processor level. (Some are, to a slightly faster processor, but
    > not a major change). Memory can generally be added to by the user. A
    > good place to check is www.crucial.com. Enter the details on your
    > laptop and the web site will tell you what you can add.
    > Charlie Hoffpauir
    > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

    Thanks I'll check that out.

    > "Poinky Doinker" <Poinky_Doinker@YourHouse.Now> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >> I am thinking of buying a USED HP laptop to try out. (never owned a
    >> laptop)
    >> I found one with an 1100 processor and that's not so great
    >> but ok with me for starting out. Since I am new to laptops I am
    >> wondering what all is involved in changing the processor and
    >> memory out for an upgrade. Is this a computer shop ONLY type
    >> upgrade being as I am not a technician?
    >>
    >> I have assembled a few desktop computers in the past ....
    >> and by that I mean buying a box, processor, motherboard, CDRom,
    >> sound card, etc.....and put them all together.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help
    >> Alan
    >>

    > With the current laptop glut and prices as low as 700 USD it makes sense
    > to purchase used if the unit is very inexpensive and has a decent return
    > policy. Look around at major vendor sites for refurbished also. Used
    > laptops are a risky purchase.

    Yeah the one I looked at is 499.00 US and the guy has already said something
    about he is not so sure about how good the battery is.
    Guess I'll check into a refurbished one that has some sort of warranty at
    least.
    Maybe I'll check some out on eBay.

    Thanks

    In general, you can't change the processor. That is not an absolutely
    true statement, sometimes it is possible, but unless you have
    information to the contrary on the specific model in question, you
    should not assume that the CPU is upgradeable.

    Memory and the hard drive are upgradeable within limits (which may be
    hard to determine). In most cases it's easy, but in a few cases it's a
    real bitch.

    Poinky Doinker wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I am thinking of buying a USED HP laptop to try out. (never owned a laptop)
    > I found one with an 1100 processor and that's not so great
    > but ok with me for starting out. Since I am new to laptops I am
    > wondering what all is involved in changing the processor and
    > memory out for an upgrade. Is this a computer shop ONLY type
    > upgrade being as I am not a technician?
    >
    > I have assembled a few desktop computers in the past ....
    > and by that I mean buying a box, processor, motherboard, CDRom,
    > sound card, etc.....and put them all together.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    > Alan

    Why would you fools buy used when for a few dollars more you can buy new? If
    you can't afford the few dollars more, then don't buy a laptop. Of course if
    you don't care about reliability, then buy used. You guys make me laugh...a
    lot.

    Poinky Doinker <Poinky_Doinker@YourHouse.Now> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I am thinking of buying a USED HP laptop to try out. (never owned a
    laptop)
    > I found one with an 1100 processor and that's not so great
    > but ok with me for starting out. Since I am new to laptops I am
    > wondering what all is involved in changing the processor and
    > memory out for an upgrade. Is this a computer shop ONLY type
    > upgrade being as I am not a technician?
    >
    > I have assembled a few desktop computers in the past ....
    > and by that I mean buying a box, processor, motherboard, CDRom,
    > sound card, etc.....and put them all together.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    > Alan

    Grow up, kid.

    "George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Why would you fools buy used when for a few dollars more you can buy new?
    > If
    > you can't afford the few dollars more, then don't buy a laptop. Of course
    > if
    > you don't care about reliability, then buy used. You guys make me
    > laugh...a
    > lot.
    >

    > Poinky Doinker <Poinky_Doinker@YourHouse.Now> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >> I am thinking of buying a USED HP laptop to try out. (never owned a
    > laptop)
    >> I found one with an 1100 processor and that's not so great
    >> but ok with me for starting out. Since I am new to laptops I am
    >> wondering what all is involved in changing the processor and
    >> memory out for an upgrade. Is this a computer shop ONLY type
    >> upgrade being as I am not a technician?
    >>
    >> I have assembled a few desktop computers in the past ....
    >> and by that I mean buying a box, processor, motherboard, CDRom,
    >> sound card, etc.....and put them all together.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help
    >> Alan

Laptops Processors