LED Case Light Modding

Hello all, I've currently got a SilverStone Raven RV01, and want to change the stock blue LEDs to red, like so.

p9291273.jpg

This is what the LEDs look like when you open up the case.

image0015i.jpg

I've never done any real case modding before, I suppose this is very light but any direction would be much appreciated.

Here are my questions:

1) Is it as simple as just cutting off those LEDs and soldering new red ones on? Should I just cut off the black sleeving right before the blue LEDs?

2) Do I need to find any specific LEDs, i.e., do I need to buy LEDs with a certain voltage or amperage etc. for this case? It's powered by a four pin molex connection if that's relevant at all. Also, are there any other specifications regarding LEDs that I should be aware of? I'm not really to concerned about viewing angles and that kind of spec, seeing as it should light up well enough regardless.

3) I don't want them to be too bright, the first photo I linked has LEDs which are probably just a bit too bright (I want the red HDD LED to light up/able to be seen, came with the case). Is there any specific brightness rating that is recommended?

Solution
Ah ok. Are those LEDs in series? From the look of where the wire comes out of the Molex connector that is 5V, so if they're in series there running at 2.5V each.

That would probably be the simplest option for you, to buy 3.3 or 2.5V LEDs and run them in series from the 5V supply. That was your not wasting energy with a resistor =].
Hey Lmeow, nice to see you chopping it up man :)
found this if its any help, they sell green led as far as I can see so should probably do blues somewhere on there too,
http://www.directron.com/bareleds.html

and some handy info to not look up on there :)
Led specs, normal led's use 3.3v
Specifications:
200,000 hour life (22 years)
Voltage range 12-14 volts D.C.
Draw: less than 26mA @ 12 volts!
Dimensions (WxLxH): 1 11/16" x 5/8" x 3/8".
Hth mate,
Moto

Thanks for the reply and link moto. :)

I don't live in the U.S. though so I'll probably end up buying some off trademe (NZ eBay).

Would 5V or 12 V LEDs work? Really only spec I'm really concerned about. Most I see are 2.1 V or so, so I'm thinking I'll need some resistors, although I'm not sure how they would work in the PC system. Simple soldering?

And also, do I just cut and solder the LEDs back on?

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I don't think they really make 12V LEDs, or atleast there not common.

I'd say the fan would output 3.3V to the LEDs so if you use 5 or 12V ones they will probably be dull, you don't need to use a resistor as the fan will already be outputing an acceptable voltage although you might with 2.1V ones.

If you want to be sure what voltage to use you should probably strip some heatshrink away power it up and measure the voltage will a multimeter. This is really the only way to be sure unless you can find it on the internet.

Why would you power the LED from the molex lead? Arn't you just replacing the LEDs in the fan? The different voltages on the molex are colour coded, 2 black for earth and yellow and red not sure but I think the yellow is 5 and the red is 12V. <edit> red is 5V and yellow is 12V </edit>

I'd also reckon you want to cut the LED off a bit further down than just underneath, about as long as you are going to leave on the new LEDs.

^I think unless your cables are marked in any way decipherable, multimeter is your best bet, Sorry bout the link man, didnt know you werent a merkin :p
some of the highpower leds on that site were 5v iirc, so there available, but id not stick a normal one on a 5v line :p
^punk, I think hes modding the red (in his picture) bar at the top front of the case, which is most likely already Molex-fed
Moto
*Edit you posted as I did lol* about the bar

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Ah ok. Are those LEDs in series? From the look of where the wire comes out of the Molex connector that is 5V, so if they're in series there running at 2.5V each.

That would probably be the simplest option for you, to buy 3.3 or 2.5V LEDs and run them in series from the 5V supply. That was your not wasting energy with a resistor =].

Solution
^ Yes it's the bar lol.

I'll most likely end up using some 2.1 V LEDs and a resistor. Based on V = IR, I'll need a resistor which is ~ 390 Ohms or so. 12 V = 0.03A x 400 Ohms

Would it be connected like so:

--- = Wire (from molex connector)
X = Solder
====D = LED
---<>--- = Resistor

---X---<>---X===D

Hi Lmeow,
The leds may be bought with or without a pigtail, I think with would be easier for me but it would depend on your application. If going without, then yes you'll simply clip the old LED and solder on the new one. Here's a vendor from the US so you can look at what you you may need, hope that helps a bit.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g6/c455/list/p1/Lighting-LEDs.html

You may also wish to look at an led board for controlling the lights.

I'm not sure, I think those LEDs are in series, doesn't look like parallel. Thanks for the info, didn't know it was using the 5 V. Would 2.2 V LEDs be fine? Because if its two in series it 5 V maybe just a bit too much for two 4.4 V in total.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Yeah 2.1V might be pushing it, however I'm not too sure. You probably wouldn't want to do it if your not prepared to waste two LEDs and re-do it in a month. If you can get 2.5V ones it would be great.

If its in parallel it has to have a resistor. This is for any diodes, when in parallel they must have a resistor as they generally heat up differently and when they heat up they conduct more. This ends with one receiving a lot more current than the other until it dies and then the other gets the full current so it dies also. Pretty funny I think =].

Thanks a lot mate. It's not going to be too much of a difficulty to find a 10 Ohm resistor or whatever it is.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=309830737&rewritten=true

That's probably the set of LEDs I'll buy, the seller's even willing to provide the right resistors (@ 5 V) for me for $2 for all 20 although I'd probably just get a $1 worth. With these LEDs I can even to more modding later on, thinking of adding an LED 40mm fan to my EVGA X58 SLI LE heatsink, the chipset gets very hot.

Using ledcalculator.net, I'll need a 43 Ohm resistor.

I've learnt a bit of circuits in school, in this case would the 5 V be the 'beginning' of the power supply, and the ground the 'end'? If so that simplifies my matters quite a lot.

Just to check, this would be the right order, correct?

5 V is the green wire, so I start off with that, and is this the arrangement of components?

5 V---LED---LED---Resistor--- Ground?

And are 5mm LEDs standard, the size of what would be in the case? (Would open up right now but computer's in there :p)

Thanks for all the help so far, I'll check in tomorrow morning.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Looks good, yeah LEDs are wonderful things to have around. I find them much better for everything for a PC, they use less energy then Cold Cathodes which also means less heat. And they can be hidden better.

Yeah I learnt some ohms law and resistance in series/parallel in Physics, pretty basic though. Yes the 5V is the "beginning" and the ground is the end, how else were you gonna do it :).

Don't trust me on your 5V green wire, as I don't have the item, have a look for your self:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector#Disk_drive_connector_.28Molex_8981_Series_Power_Connector.29
Also do be 100% sure you could get a molex plug and plug it in (or put it near it the right way up) and the red wire is the 5V, the yellow is 12V and the black is earth. I just think you should take some precaution other wise you could have wasted your time and wrecked your LEDs.

Yeah that diagram looks great.

I measured the LED at the front of my old P4 and it seemed to be 5mm if thats the ones you mean.

So glad I could help. Good Luck!

Yes, 5mm are standard. The 3mm are usually used for things like a hard drive activity light. I tried to replace a light in my wife's case, one of the case feet lights died. I ordered the wrong one, it must take a 12V because the one I put in fried as soon as I turned the machine on. heh heh.
Live and learn. Wish I had put as much research into it as you have.

I believe you could run the resistor prior to the leds.

Thanks very much. I'm pretty sure the green wire is the 5 V after looking at that diagram, or the white although I'll figure it out anyway. :)

Thanks for the clarification on the 5mm LEDs being standard.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Ah ha, well that sucks :). Though unless its really really cheap I'd still go for the LEDs, its only like 5 minutes work (not including this thread). Also you'll have tons left over for more modding goodness.

Are you considering chickening out with this? Because if you are, then...then I'm disappointed :p.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
"yep, the little leds call from within the drawer......
' we could go there,or there or.....' "
:D Nicely Done.

Well if thats your sense of fun then go for it... However why don't you just make your own "LED kit" when you need it, you could do anything you wanted, position them where you want, hide them better and have as much light as you required.