I just finished building my new computer. It consists of (all parts brand new):

Intel i-7-2600K processor
MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) motherboard
8Gb Corsair Vengeance Memory (2x4Gb)
Gigabyte GTX 570 video card
Ultra 750W modular power supply
Samsung 1T hard drive
ASUS dvd/cd burner

When I press the power button, my new computer powers cycles on and off. The case and CPU fans will turn for about a second or two, then the Reset button on the motherboard will light and the computer powers off, only to restart again.

I've made sure all of the connections were tight and correct. I also tried booting with only one stick of memory in DIMM 1 but it didn't matter. Same result. I even removed all of the memory. Again, same result.

I emailed MSI tech support and am waiting their reply. I was hoping somebody might give me some insight into what may be happening while I wait for MSI's reply.

Thanks
16 answers Last reply
More about p67a gd65 power cycles
  1. Try pulling the reset switch connection from the case of the motherboard connector sounds like a short.
  2. Nevermind :whistle:

It really helps to connect ALL power cables to the motherboard. I forgot to use the 4-pin power connector. As soon as I plugged that one in, my computer booted perfectly.

Sorry for wasting some peoples time :(
  3. Glad to hear that you are up and running enjoy!
    No waste of time it is a very common mistake!
  4. Ummmm mine is actually doing that.
  5. I'm having a similar problem with all new equipment and both the 20 and 4 pin power connections are good.
    Chip - i5 2500k
    Board - MSI P67a-GD65
    Video Card - EVGA GTX 560Ti
    RAM - Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 8gb (2X4mb cards)
    PSU - Zalman ZM850-HP
    Drive : Crucial SSD 64mb

Just like steelman, my system begins to power up for a second or two, all three system fans and the CPU fan start to move and then it shuts down. If i wait 5 seconds it again starts the same sequence. Both the 20+4 pin power cables are connected to the motherboard.

Any ideas as to what may be wrong?

Thanks!
  6. bigredct said:
    I'm having a similar problem with all new equipment and both the 20 and 4 pin power connections are good.
    Chip - i5 2500k
    Board - MSI P67a-GD65
    Video Card - EVGA GTX 560Ti
    RAM - Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 8gb (2X4mb cards)
    PSU - Zalman ZM850-HP
    Drive : Crucial SSD 64mb

Just like steelman, my system begins to power up for a second or two, all three system fans and the CPU fan start to move and then it shuts down. If i wait 5 seconds it again starts the same sequence. Both the 20+4 pin power cables are connected to the motherboard.

Any ideas as to what may be wrong?

Thanks!

Run through this guide step by step and if not of help open a new thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems
  7. Thanks going through the checklist now.
  8. Thanks Rolli59, the checklist was just what I needed. I'm up and running.
    Thanks again
  9. Happy it was of help!
  10. What solved it for you?
  11. Hi!

We've just bought this motherboard and faced the on/off problem.
    In our case the cause was a memory populating. We have 2x 4GB modules and populated them in DIMM 1 and 3. After replacing modules to DIMM 2 and 4 we were able to reach BIOS setup. DIMM 1 is the one right next to CPU.

/Vojta
  12. Quote:
    Hi!

We've just bought this motherboard and faced the on/off problem.
    In our case the cause was a memory populating. We have 2x 4GB modules and populated them in DIMM 1 and 3. After replacing modules to DIMM 2 and 4 we were able to reach BIOS setup. DIMM 1 is the one right next to CPU.

/Vojta

That is strange because I was reading the user manual on my same mobo and MSI specifically states to always use slot 1 first no matter what and then slot 3 and so forth. Might have been a coincidence perhaps?
    Has anyone heard of any issue like this if the RAM is tall and touches the fan on the CPU heat sink?
  13. Isn't this board only specced for 1333mhz ddr3 memory? I read that anyting over 1333mhz memory has to be accounted for with some kind of memory overclocking on the mb?
  14. pdxoutdoors said:
    Isn't this board only specced for 1333mhz ddr3 memory? I read that anyting over 1333mhz memory has to be accounted for with some kind of memory overclocking on the mb?

This could be related but I just assumed the mobo would run the 1600 at 1333 if not overclocked. I know my 1600 RAM ran fine both ways but I do keep the overclock Genie enabled. I do believe it must be 1.5 volts though so anyone running into problems should make sure that isn't a source of any issues...

Additionally, I will add that I tried to put 2 more sticks of 4GB each in my remaining two slots that were the same brand and Mhz as the first two only with faster cas latency and could not get my system to boot until I removed the 8GB of new quicker RAM, after which everything was fine again...
  15. I also built my new two computers. they consist of:

motherboard: MSI H61M-E23 (G3)
    CPU: Intel Core i3 2120 3.3GHz socket 1155
    Memory: Enfenin 4G 1333MHz
    Hard Disk: Hitachi 640GB
    Graphics Card: Inno3D GeForce Gt 630 4GB
    PSU: 500 watts

when I press the power button the system power up for 10 seconds then shuts down (itself) waits 5 seconds and power up again continuing the same sequence. While it's running, all front pannel LEDs are on, CPU FAN starts to move normally, Hard Disk and DVD Drive work like normal all this but no Beep , no Video signal output no blinkn LEDs of keyboard. I tried to connect only the motherboard , CPU + FAN memory but i got the same problem. the i removed the memory, the same problem again except the system Beeps 3 times along the last three seconds of power up period.
    i tried t reset BIOS, checked all the connections, replaced the motherboard with the second m. (same model), replaced the power supply unit, checked the MSI websit and forum and the components supported always got the same problem.
  16. I have MSI MS-7673 ver 2.0 motherboard, same problems.
    Memory is GSkill Ripjaw 2x 4GB DDR3-1600 PC3 12800 (F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL)

System froze while using computer. Afterwards, power comes on with all lights but shuts down after 5 seconds and repeats power on/off after 5 seconds with no beep.

After trying to narrow down the issue, I found 1 memory stick from my dual memory had issues when plugged alone into DIMM slot 1,2 and 3. Fortunately, 4 worked and now I have the memory in slots 2 and 4. I am going to try a BIOS update to see if that helps.
Ask a new question

Read More

MSI-Microstar Computer Power Motherboards