Upgrading my brothers computer.

vulmer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Alright guys, here is the situation. My brothers 16th birthday is coming up next month and I have been wanting to do something nice for him. I have decided the best thing that I could do is upgrade his computer. His current setup is pretty decent, as hes running on an e7400, 4 gigs of ddr2 800(on 32-bit vista, though... lol) and a 9600gt. This build has been doing great for a while as he only played stuff like CS:S, garrys mod and other various source engine games. However, lately he has been diving into some more demanding games like Mortal Online and Mass Effect 2. So to keep it short, he is playing more demanding games and his computer is starting to reach its limits.

What I wish I could do is just get him a 470gtx or 5850, but I am pretty sure that e7400 would become a bottleneck. So I looked at grabbing him an i5, new ram, motherboard and 64-bit os to go along with a 465 gtx. That puts the price at about 900 dollars, which is an issue. The max I want to spend is ~700.

This is where I want some extra input. My plan b is to grab him either a Q8400 or Q8300, a $30 cooler and then also his gpu+64-bit OS. I figured I could finally try my hand at a decent overclock and put him at around 3.2 ghz on one of those cpus.

So CPU+Cooler+OS+470gtx is about 700 bucks. What are your thoughts on this situation?

Unless the game uses > 2 cores a E7400 light OCed won't be a bottleneck for a single HD 5850 The GTX 465 is to be avoided like the plague
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-465-fermi-gf100,2642-12.html
Honestly, I’m not sure what Nvidia was thinking with this one. Surely, its competitive analysis team ran these very same benchmarks and found the GeForce GTX 465 and Radeon HD 5830 trading blows. Surely, the same group of folks hopped online and saw Radeon HD 5830s selling for $220, going as low as $199 with rebates. How, then, did they decide that $279 was a good starting point for suggested pricing?