Nivida GTX 460m/ ATI Radeon 5870 Config Question? Model SW thoughts!

i2skinny4u

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
I'm new to PC gaming and graphics cards and had a question about these two graphics cards.
I first purchased an ASUS G73JH with an Radeon 5870 which could run Crysis with all settings set to
high with no lag! :D

But I returned it (driver problems ect.). Best Buy had the new model with the Nivida GTX 460m (Asus G73SW).
Crysis can still be ran under Very High settings BUT when I run in the game it's super laggy?! :cry:

So I ask all on this community how do you config your Graphics card settings from the Nivida control panel to get the best
quality graphics but great performance as well. I did look at it myself but I didn't know what to set to high, enable/disable, performance/quality? The ATI Radeon was really simple and gave me what I want but Nivida looks like it gives more options to toy around with (I guess bad for a noob like me.lol). Also if anyone can tell me what GPU, CPU, FPS and what kind of games they relate to? I'm eager to play Shogun 2 and Crysis 2 so I hope my computer can take it? I hope someone can help me out here on the forum! :D

Also was told it has Sandy Bridge but i don't know what that is so anyone that can explain would be great! Oh! And how about HD gaming. I saw one with a 1080p resolution but also heard it slows down with games? Do you notice a big difference between these two resolutions (I'm used to playing PS3 games). Wish I could've jumped onto PC Gaming Sooner! :)

Specs:

Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (also has turbo boost which goes up to 2.9 or 2.85)
8GB DDR3 Ram, Nivida GTX 460m (1 GB DDR5 or 1.5 GB DDR5?)
677 GB Free Space 7200rpm Hard Drive
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
1600X900 Screen Resolution (Max) n

Also is the i7-2630QM better than the 740GM?I might also post this under the "Asus" topic just in case. Also how about connecting to an HDTV. I have an HDMI port on my laptop but it the game has lag (G73JH did not sure about this one yet). I'm also sorry if I sound stupid since I don't know very much
about this stuff. Thank you!

i2skinny4u

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
I played Dead Space 2 on both models but the SW seems to be a little better then the JH.
Not sure if it's me but that's what I thought. Also I noticed that the 460m makes more noise then
the Radeon 5870 (I couldn't even here the 5870 when I can games on it). Other then what I mentioned
before this is a great laptop!!! :D